Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Someone help me out here.If Argo has won every guild possible and those guilds all have members in The Academy, then isn't it impossible for Argo to lose? Directors Guild, Producers Guild, Screenactors Guild, BAFTA and whatever else I'm missing, all gave Argo the top prize. These factions all have a vote in the Oscars, so how does Argo lose?

It doesnt

As for Riva, as I have mentioned many many times; I'm the the biggest lover of SLP this year. I thought Lawrence was the best performance this year by far. But then I saw Amour and imo, RIVA is the winner, hands down. It's just a once in a lifetime performance and I think the academy sees that. I really think she wins it this year.

• Like 1

Someone help me out here.If Argo has won every guild possible and those guilds all have members in The Academy, then isn't it impossible for Argo to lose? Directors Guild, Producers Guild, Screenactors Guild, BAFTA and whatever else I'm missing, all gave Argo the top prize. These factions all have a vote in the Oscars, so how does Argo lose?

Argo does not lose.

It is that simple.

But all guilds nominated Affleck and awarded him and yet he wasn`t nominated for the Oscars. The problem is the overlap. AMPAS overlaps with guilds but not entirely and therefore AMPAS skews older than guild averige. hence why their more conservative tastes fuck over some respectable guild nominees.

Edited by fishnets

I bought the Argo BR and in one of the featurettes, they interview Grant Heslov. Turns out this is the guy who was in True Lies, the third member of Harry's team. I always liked him as an actor and I always wondered where he went. Turns out this guy is one of the biggest producers in Hollywood right now. He is also the guy who seems to produce ever George Clooney flick. Good Night and Good Luck, Ides of March, The American, Leatherheads, and others. I just find this interesting that a small actor made it big producing and is poised to win his first producing Oscar.

• Like 2

I bought the Argo BR and in one of the featurettes, they interview Grant Heslov. Turns out this is the guy who was in True Lies, the third member of Harry's team. I always liked him as an actor and I always wondered where he went. Turns out this guy is one of the biggest producers in Hollywood right now. He is also the guy who seems to produce ever George Clooney flick. Good Night and Good Luck, Ides of March, The American, Leatherheads, and others. I just find this interesting that a small actor made it big producing and is poised to win his first producing Oscar.

Yes, I recognized him at the globes.

Like Danny Strong from Buffy, some actors develop as brilliant producers or writers.

• Like 1

I can see why Riva can be a cool pick this year. She is an 85 year old actress who has won accolades all around the globe but the movie has not been a hit in the US. This is the sort of "I am better than you because I love a movie performance that you haven't seen" kind of cool pick that hipsters go for. JLaw is over-exposed and every 12 year old girl knows who she is and is probably rooting for her.

I can fake one if it makes you happy. 

Please do. We know that Jeff will have a big one if:

JLaw loses

SLP doesn`t win shit

Lincoln and Spielberg win

And crone will have a big one if:

JLaw wins

Lincoln, Spielberg and Kushner don`t win shit

So make it count!

Edited by fishnets

I feel rather proud of this, entitled Do You Hear the AMPAS Sing? Dedicated to Emmanuelle Riva of course. :lol:

Seth MacFarlane:

Do you hear the AMPAS sing?

Singing a song of senile men?

It is the music of la Riva

Who will not be 'gnored again! 

When the votes of millionaires

Echoes the singing of the praise

There is a win about to dawn

When tomorrow comes! 

Michael Barker:

Will you join in our campaign?

Who will predict her Oscar Night?