baumer

Gangster Squad

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The digital shit in this is fucking ugly. Also this is really fucking stupid with one dimensional characters, and the film kinda sorta tries to justify it's violence by throwing the questions of moral ambiguity in there, but it doesn't work, it's stupid. Just let it be a dumb action movie.btw, the action isn't even well-staged or thrilling in any way. Too much of that goddamn slow-mo. Brolin is bland, Gosling and Stone have zero chemistry, which is a surprise after how great they were together in CSL. Oh, and what was with that stupid fucking high pitched voice Gosling was doing? Penn is hammy in the worst way with some stupid fucking make-up shit on his face and the most enjoyable part of the film is watching his fucking face get smashed in at the end. What I'm trying to say is that Gangster Squad wasn't really for me.

• Like 1

Gangster Squad provides a somewhat enjoyable Warner Bros. cartoon-like depiction of the Hollywood gangster era with very little to say beneath it's loud bangs and digital sheen. Although the film is driven by cliched nonsense, it contains just enough style and grit to earn itself a pass. The look may be neat but Gangster Squad shows it has dirt under it's fingernails when it matters most. It's a shame it doesn't matter all that often.  

Director Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) might have a fetishism for Hollywood cool but it was the digital presentation that left me feeling cold. As a result of the visuals the film appears all too artificial, which only serves to provide distance between the audience and screen. However, Gangster Squad rarely concerns itself with portraying the era in any considerable amount of accuracy. It's mostly concerned with shooting things, drinking beer with gruff accented men and looking as suave as possible in the meantime. This is diet De Palma on it's best day.

C+

Edited by Gazz
  • Like 1

Contrary to what others may tell you regarding this film, this doesn't work either as a pulpy cartoony action flick or a serious gangster flick.  

It's ridiculous, boring, and contrived, and is the worst movie I've seen so far in 2013.

Edited by mattmav45