baumer

Gangster Squad

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I actually enjoyed myself. It was stupid and cheesy and overtly stylized, but it was also entertaining and alot of fun. Nice, quick action movie, so just don't go in expecting Oscar and it'll be fun! Cast did a pretty good job all around.

This film has to be one of the most disappointing films ever. I was looking forward to this for so long and it ended up being awful.1/10

Totally agree, this movie sucked! A great cast, great idea for a movie, but then somebody thought it would be good to make it a total 'cheezze fest', hated every second.
  • Like 2

It's never boring, highly entertaining and highly stupid with a bad ass performance from Penn. The way I see it, this is a hell of a lot better than public enemies. Critics have been too harsh, this film know its stupid and everyone onboard seems to be having fun, except Penn who seems as if he's trying to get an Oscar lol.

The problem with Gangster Squad is that this isn't the movie we were supposed to see back in the fall. They edited the hell out of it and it shows. I read that to take out the theater shooting would mean that they would have to completely change the film as it was one of the integral parts of the movie. And because the film is recut, it feels incomplete. There is a scene where Stone asks Gosling why he never told her he was a cop. They are sitting in a kitchen together and it looks like they are living together. This just comes out of nowhere. There is no hint of them really having a relationship beyond sex and now they are having personal conversations at the breakfast table. The cast is great, especially Penn, who gets to ham it up completely. Brolin and Gosling are paired well together and I am now convinced that Giovanni Ribisi is in every film ever made since 1998 when he was in Saving Private Ryan. He is ubiquitous.Nick Nolte needs to lose some weight though. That deep voice is so deep now because it has to come from a frame that is about 150 pounds heavier than his svelte days. He is good as the police chief who puts it all together. But overall it is a decent movie, but not a good one. I'd like the see the original cut of the film. That might be better.6.5/10

• Like 1

I read that to take out the theater shooting would mean that they would have to completely change the film as it was one of the integral parts of the movie. And because the film is recut, it feels incomplete. There is a scene where Stone asks Gosling why he never told her he was a cop. They are sitting in a kitchen together and it looks like they are living together. This just comes out of nowhere. There is no hint of them really having a relationship beyond sex and now they are having personal conversations at the breakfast table.

I'd completely forgotten this was that movie. Plot-wise, who was supposed to be shooting who in the theater?

The problem with Gangster Squad is that this isn't the movie we were supposed to see back in the fall. They edited the hell out of it and it shows. I read that to take out the theater shooting would mean that they would have to completely change the film as it was one of the integral parts of the movie. And because the film is recut, it feels incomplete. There is a scene where Stone asks Gosling why he never told her he was a cop. They are sitting in a kitchen together and it looks like they are living together. This just comes out of nowhere. There is no hint of them really having a relationship beyond sex and now they are having personal conversations at the breakfast table. The cast is great, especially Penn, who gets to ham it up completely. Brolin and Gosling are paired well together and I am now convinced that Giovanni Ribisi is in every film ever made since 1998 when he was in Saving Private Ryan. He is ubiquitous.Nick Nolte needs to lose some weight though. That deep voice is so deep now because it has to come from a frame that is about 150 pounds heavier than his svelte days. He is good as the police chief who puts it all together. But overall it is a decent movie, but not a good one. I'd like the see the original cut of the film. That might be better.6.5/10

Wonder if a future dvd release or the directors cut will include these scenes. And will it evantually include the theater shooting scene.

The problem with Gangster Squad is that this isn't the movie we were supposed to see back in the fall. They edited the hell out of it and it shows. I read that to take out the theater shooting would mean that they would have to completely change the film as it was one of the integral parts of the movie. And because the film is recut, it feels incomplete. There is a scene where Stone asks Gosling why he never told her he was a cop. They are sitting in a kitchen together and it looks like they are living together. This just comes out of nowhere. There is no hint of them really having a relationship beyond sex and now they are having personal conversations at the breakfast table.

What the fuck... :mellow:

I really hope they release the other cut on Bluray.

• Like 1