baumer

Biggest Snubs (not nominated) in Oscar history

That makes me wonder sometimes just what would happen if the timing of some of those insanely acclaimed recent performances wasn't as perfect. Imagine, for example, if TDK and Basterds came out in the same year... I could honestly see a tie between Ledger and Waltz. I think the closest we came to that in reality recently was with Streep vs Davis, but the movies' scope was not that big.

Nah, Ledger would've won easily because of you-know-what. 

Hardest question would be which one is truly the greatest of the three? And that, acting wise, ignoring the things that happened afterwards...

I'd place Bardem #3 without much hesitation (he's still brilliant though) but between Waltz and Ledger I would never be able to choose.

• Like 1

Yeah, but those three are like the Cream of the Crop, the best ever and all in a row.

Karl Malden (A Streetcar Named Desire)

Robert De Niro (The Godfather Part II)

Christopher Walken (The Deer Hunter)

Kevin Kline (A Fish Called Wanda)

Joe Pesci (Goodfellas)

Gene Hackman (Unforgiven)

Martin Landau (Ed Wood)

Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects)

Benicio Del Toro (Traffic)

All better, and that's not getting into nominees who didn't win or roles not even nominated.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

Hardest question would be which one is truly the greatest of the three? And that, acting wise, ignoring the things that happened afterwards...

Tough to say. I'd be tempted to say I liked Waltz the best because the deal with Ledger was that I was hearing the hype for months but with Waltz I had no idea who that guy was and had no expectations for that character/performance since I don't think he was even in the trailer, so that knocked me back more because it pretty much came outta nowhere.

Joe Pesci (Goodfellas)

Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspets)

All better, and that's not getting into nominees who didn't win or roles not even nominated.

I'm a big fan of George Sanders performance in All About Eve. Top 5 fo' sho'. "You have a point, an idiotic one, but a point nonetheless."

• Like 1

1. Kevin Kline

2. Robert DeNiro

3. Chris Cooper

4. George Sanders

5. Christopher Walken

6. Christoph Waltz

7. Kevin Spacey

8. Denzel Washington

9. Joel Grey

10. Martin Landau

And a fuck load of oldies that I haven't seen. 

The worst supporting actor performance I've seen was the horse guy who won for Ben-Hur. Like, what the fuck???

So that's my opinion.

Edited by CoolioD1

Joe Pesci (Goodfellas)

Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects)

Disagree on Del Toro (liked him a lot, but didn't think it's an all-time great role) and haven't seen Kline, but yeah, the others are all up there as well. 

Sanders was great in All About Eve, I'd also say the same for Walter Huston in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Martin Landau in Ed Wood and Joel Grey in Cabaret.

Joaquin should've won. I'm shocked a performance that hammy got up for a nod.

What I love best is that with about fifteen minutes to go Commodus has won, total control and nothing can stop him...until he grabs the Idiot Ball and thinks it would be a great idea to fight Maximus in the arena for shits and giggles. So hammy, so egotistically stupid, so fun.

• Like 1