The Playlsit gives B:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/review-pixars-brave-is-a-powerful-but-wobbly-feminist-fairy-tale-20120611?

While “Brave” would have just been a cute, visually dazzling but ultimately disappointing Pixar movie, it feels graver and more serious because it’s been this long since they’ve taken on a female protagonist and this really should have been a bolder, more experimental exercise. In the last few years, like clans of Scottish tribesman, the houses of Disney and Pixar have begun to merge (for evidence look no further than the Randy Newmansongs in “The Princess and the Frog” or the newly opened Carsland expansion in Disney California Adventure), and “Brave” seems like a natural progression of that melding. This doesn’t feel like “WALL-E,” it feels like “Tangled.” And “Tangled” (and “Brave”) are perfectly fine animated movies, with “Brave” at times reaching staggering emotional depths in the mother/daughter relationship, but it’s not enough. It’s too unfocused and cute and lacking in memorable set pieces (an enraged, enchanted bear named Mordu can’t even scare up any excitement). In the end, “Brave” stops just short of being truly magical.

So much for Cars 2 lowering the expectations bar.

If Brave ends up with the same RT score as Tangled, good. Seems that while most gave Tangled the benefit of the doubt, Brave gets demerits for not being Ratatouille.

Also reminds me of the discussion on Cartoonbrew ripping Lasseter for changing directors. Some animators were livid that Brenda Chapman's work was getting changed when it was supposed to be fine. I wonder if Chapman's vision would have gotten more raves?

Also reminds me of the discussion on Cartoonbrew ripping Lasseter for changing directors. Some animators were livid that Brenda Chapman's work was getting changed when it was supposed to be fine. I wonder if Chapman's vision would have gotten more raves?

Looks like Chapman's vision is the one that's getting the most grief. The criticism of the film seems to be aimed at the fact it involves a mother and daughter and bears, which existed from the film's conception.

I just hope audiences are more open to it than they are. I certainly thought it was a more interesting premise than what was advertised.

Edited by tribefan695

stop overreacting

I don't think it's overreacting. McCarthy isn't some random troll like Smithey or White. It's alarming to see that someone like him, a top critic no less, would already give it a negative review. It would hint that there are probably quite a few more on the way. I'm not saying this is headed towards rotten, but it could very well be headed to no better than Madagascar 3 territory in reviews.

dont think so.

I never said reviews for Brave are not good, but not that spectacular, which is fact. Check old Pixar classics, except Cars and Cars 2, Finding Nemo, Up, The Incredibles, Toy Story 1/2/3, Monsters Inc, etc. They all got bunches of full stars (5/5) reviews. I mean, it's Pixar, they gotta deliver something better than what Brave seems (so far), something on the same level of their old classics above, after Cars 2.

These reviews have said Pixar is back on track. That's what is all important to me.

Woah, it's truly alarming to see a Pixar film down to 80% already after only 5 reviews. Honestly does not bode well that negative reviews are already coming in so early. Maybe TS3 really was the end of an era? :(:unsure:

Lol. It only has ONE negative so far.

I don't think it's overreacting. McCarthy isn't some random troll like Smithey or White. It's alarming to see that someone like him, a top critic no less, would already give it a negative review. It would hint that there are probably quite a few more on the way. I'm not saying this is headed towards rotten, but it could very well be headed to no better than Madagascar 3 territory in reviews.

He gave MADAGASCAR lll a rotten too.

You didn't answer my question: Are males unable to identify with females? Because there have certainly been tons of successful movies that lacked a female rooting interest.

If this movie does lack a male one, then I think Pixar should be applauded for challenging that notion.

Just yes!

Things turned good for Mulan, besides.

Miyazaki believed in Chihiro or Ponyo.

Couldn't american audiences do the same?