That` just a small part of what the movie is. Big chunk is about mother-daughter bonding. But they advertised it as chick besting men flick. Classic bait and switch.

Very interesting in fact.

Not very usual in US animated movies.

"Chick besting men"...

Buffy syndrome again?

Just reading this makes me all :thinking:

* The too-quickly-dismissed pupil

* The too-quickly-praised pupil

These two shouldn't even be in the same class for God Sake!

lol

I'm a DWA fan. They don't nearly have as many great movies as Pixar, but they are really the only other studio that makes decent animation movies in US. I like the Madagascar movies and love HTTYD.

Shrek is still overrated though. :P

I'm a DWA fan. They don't nearly have as many great movies as Pixar, but they are really the only other studio that makes decent animation movies in US. I like the Madagascar movies and love HTTYD.

Shrek is still overrated though. :P

About these...i 'm more a fan of the 4 characters than the situations they got through in the first 2 movies.

I'm waiting for the 3rd.

But i read that the pacing is "hysterical" right fom the beginning with no intro or characters settings... :unsure:

that's pretty much why I find RT unreliable. There are tons of movies with really high scores that have low avg ratings, and vice versa. metacritic > RT

The only thing that makes it "unreliable" is that the percentage is so prominent while the average rating is in tiny text. If you pay attention to it pretty much functions the same way as Metacritic but with a larger sample size.

But once a movie starts getting a bunch of rotten reviews, it is VERY hard to go back up to fresh. Critics start to see that it is okay to hate and join in. :(

It's probably because the studios look for people who are more likely to give the film a positive review for advanced screenings. It may not mean much in the long run, but they get a little cheap publicity if the first few reviews are positive.

Weird. A few PIXAR movies started out one way and completely changed direction in the middle of the movie too.

UP started out about the old man and changed into an action movie in the second hallf.

Wall-E started out being only about the title character and brought the humans in the second half.

Those "twists" grew organically out of the action of the characters. It was Ellie's dream to go on an adventure, so that's what Carl does. Wall-E doesn't want to lose Eve, so he stows away on her ship which is en route to a space station populated with humans.

Haven't seen Brave, but maybe that shift is simply less organic here. I can see how it might be interpreted that way, at least.

Edited by tribefan695

Yeah, if a movie is bad it is just bad. But I'm sure more then a few critics like to check what everyone else is thinking before putting up their reviews. They are influenced by peer pressure whether they want to admit it or not.

Are there any critics who follow the T-Meter to such an extent where you can accuse them of that? I think it's simply a matter of critics with different tastes getting to see the movie at different times.

I don't think Up's was that natural at all. It went from being something different and potentially touching to a decidedly ordinary adventure story.

It was something they made pretty clear in the marketing, though. The house fueled by balloons was the most iconic image of the trailer and an indication that it was going to involve an adventure.

Edited by tribefan695

It was something they made pretty clear in the marketing, though. The house fueled by balloons was the big money shot of the trailer and an indication that it was going to involve an adventure.

I meant the fact that it wasn't a particularly special adventure. It could've been better, somehow, but it wasn't. And yet it somehow managed to make everyone giddy. I bet if it was released this year, it's reception wouldn't be nearly as positive.

"Chick besting men"...

Buffy syndrome again?

At least Buffy`s pwoers are explained. in every generation one is born. That`s better than propehcy that No-Man will defeat the Witch King by shieking into his face.

Edited by fishnets

Weird. A few PIXAR movies started out one way and completely changed direction in the middle of the movie too.

UP started out about the old man and changed into an action movie in the second hallf.

Wall-E started out being only about the title character and brought the humans in the second half.

I thought critics would have expected this by now.

Brave's new direction doesn't feel as organic as Up or WALL-E's.

Gloria and co stole Merrida's thunder?

Nature is often depicted in Brave trailers etc.

Will Japan be sensible to that?

The "blue things made of light" in Brave poster remind me a little the forest' spirits from Mononoké.