DAR

Modern Family

Why? And this is a good question on Obama and the 250 being rich. 

Mitchell is probably making 150 for being a lawyer. So that is nice money but he has high law school loans plus a house to pay for in California. And he basically supports Cam and Lily. So is he rich?

Lets say Phil has a great year selling real estate and makes 250K. But who knows how much he sells the next year. But anyway, Phil is basually supporting 5 people, paying a house mortgage, taxes etc in California, school bills, a some presents and a vacation in during the year.

So is Phil really considered Rich???? So as I said, the 250 number has to be looked at.And should they be penalized cause they want to live in California rather than where-ever the middle takes place.

Thank You that is very interesting.

The Dunphies are very interesting to compare with an "average"  family for instance in Europe. Phil makes probably more money than his counterpart in Europe, but does his family enjoy a higher standard of living than we. That is not very easy to answer. His California house costs several times the amount of a similar house in Europe. In one episode he promises his family a trip to Italy, which is evidently outside the family budget. For an an "average" European family such a trip is a yearly thing (substitute Tunisia, Thailand or Mexico for Italy).

Edited by Rudolf

Yes! See Bolded Above!

And personally, I don't think either is that much off base, as The Middle is in Middle America, and a poorer blue class type family....and Modern Family, is in California. (Would either work as well if you reversed locations????)

And I don't think Modern Family is that unrealistic.

Jay is a rich guy, owns a business, got a trophy wife later in life. Mitchell could afford to go to law school on Jay's $. Cam was a College Sports Athelete. And Phil kindof has the Middle Family in California.

And to the other point from above. Most have some talents, just like the kids on the Middle. Big Deal Manny is good at one sport??? Luke Manny Mitchell Phil Alex Haley aren't very atheletic,

Mitchel was figure skating in championships. Manny wins prices as a fencer. Phil is power walking (with his ridiculous shoes) on a regular basis.

Gloria, Claire, Jay and Cam seem definitely above average athletically.

Only Luke,Alex and Haley (perhaps Lilly) don't fit in.

Compared to European families they seem very into sports.

Why's it matter if it represents the "Average American Life"? There is no American lifestyle that can represent every family in America because it's such a diverse country.  Plus it's a sitcom aiming to provide laughs, not trying to depict how American families live as accurately as possible.

For American audiences it does not matter, because most of you can judge how reallistic it is. But don't forget these series are sold all over the world and kind of represent your country (more even than movies).

Seeing Dallas, Denver Clan or BH90210 we think you all filthy rich.

Roseann or Married with Children gave a totally different picture.

Another problem with Modern Family:

It furthers the concept that even successful Americans are more stupid and uneducated than Europeans.

Jay and Mitchel are clever and successful professionals.

Gloria and Claire are clever stay at home moms. (wasted talents)

but even Claire can not stay awake watching a French movie, she is prepared to like.

Alex is a nerd without any special interests and socially akward.

Manny is queer and seems only interested in girls and poetry.

Cameron is multy talented (some talents only exist in his head like his Spanish), but is basically a country yokel

Lilly is mean.

Dylan, Luke and Haley are extremely stupid.

Phil is intelectually vastly inferior to his wife ( his ridiculous "mnemonic devices" or Phil-o-sophy)

Jay is the only one with interesting Hobbies: Remotely controled aeroplanes, Baseball-card collecting, reading

What does Claire do all day long? Running and shooting? Baseball-field building?

Edited by Rudolf

It's not whether they're rich or not but that money is never really a problem for them. Ever. I don't remember a single plot where money was a major issue. This really isn't a problem for me since Modern Family has never actually tried to capture reality in a sense but merely the new family dynamics that have come up within the last few decades. You won't see them dealing with money issues like in the Middle because the show isn't interested in doing that. That's perfectly fine because Modern Family isn't actually trying to present reality.

And yes, making $250,000 puts you in the Upper Middle Class. Consider that the AVERAGE American family makes $40,000 (around the family of the Middle I believe).

Oh, and this has nothing to do with Obama. This issues would still be present if McCain or Romney had won.

No matter how rich you are, money is allways an issue. Even when you are a Billionaire your fortunes depend on the stock market.

The only times Modern Family has addressed this fact is when, Mitchel loses his job or Phil changes his. When Jay needs a credit to build his closets they are mentioning it in a joking way.

In every day life no one seems to think about money. Budgets are never mentioned.

It depends not every middle class family has to worry about finances all the time...

Meaning even if things go down and such they can continue as normal for a few weeks and such...

Meaning they are not a family that lives paycheque to paycheque...

Such families do exist, I thank my blessings everyday that I belong to such a family.

The Dunphies are very interesting to compare with an "average"  family for instance in Europe. Phil makes probably more money than his counterpart in Europe, but does his family enjoy a higher standard of living than we. That is not very easy to answer. His California house costs several times the amount of a similar house in Europe. In one episode he promises his family a trip to Italy, which is evidently outside the family budget. For an an "average" European family such a trip is a yearly thing (substitute Tunisia, Thailand or Mexico for Italy).

A middle class family in North American can generally get a 2000-3000 sq feet house... and have multiple  appliances in the house and have two cars.

Things have declined quite a bit though after the great recession.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Thanks! And My Estimation on Phil Making a Top # of 250K is just a high guess, as it could be anywhere from $0 upwhere based on his sales.

When I grew up in Austria, not everyone could participate in all school activities, because of money concerns. For instance we went skiing for one week every winter with the school class. Poorer families had to rely on subsidies to afford that (if at all).

The thing that strikes me the most, is drinking a soda to a normal meal. As a kid we only had a soda on holidays or when entertaining guests. Today I normaly drink beer to a meal, but as kid I had a glass of water. On TV I heard a lady complain, she could not afford to give her children something to drink, made me smile remembering (and I did not consider myself poor back then). 

Edited by Rudolf

When I grew up in Austria, not everyone could participate on all school activities, because of money concerns. For instance we went skiing for one week every winter with the school class. Poorer families had to rely on subsidies to afford that (if at all).

The thing that strikes me the most, is drinking a soda to a normal meal. As a kid we only had a soda on holidays or when entertaining guests. Today I normaly drink beer to a meal, but as kid I had a glass of water. On TV I heard a lady complain, she could not afford to give her children something to drink, made me smile remembering (and I was not considering myself poor back then). 

Yeah, America drinks too much Soda!

And it got worse with Super Size Cups and all you can drink machines.

I know for years I was probably having 60 oz of soda with every meal.

and Yup Stupid in HindSight!

Here many people usually only have a soda with a meal or casually have one if they dont drink...

If you are at a party and you don't drink (such as myself), you lack many options...

I just put a coke in a small glass and put a lime and it looks like rum and coke.

Here if you want to participate in after school activities you can whether rich or poor. If it's through a club team outside of the school that's a different story

you mean sport? 

who pays for the equipment?

When Manny goes into "daunting" nature, who pays for the trip?

Edited by Rudolf

Jay is a rich man so Jay pays for it. But even parents that aren't in Jay's tax bracket, they'll find a way to provide nice things for their kids .Again I will remind you it's a tv show, meant to entertain. Seriously you raise more questions about this show than the entire Internet raised about Lost

• Like 1