DAR

Modern Family

I wonder how or if they will address the Vietnam War in the show. The Vietnam War was part of my childhood, when I "witnessed" it on TV day after day (and Austria was not even involved in any way). Most Vietnamese were born after the war, so it plays a lesser role in their lives. Jay is a veteran and he could visit with (a fourteen year old) Lily the places, where he has been stationed then. These could be very moving scenes.

We had a 20 year old Vietnamese co-worker at my institute. She was born in Austria and only visited relatives in Haiphong once or twice. When I showed her holiday pictures from  my trip around Vietnam, she decided to go and see her country herself. 

Edited by Rudolf

I highly doubt the show will last long enough for Lily to be 14 or that they would even explore the issue if it did.

Yeah, even if the show is on for years more, she probably will never get more than 6/7, being replaced by another actress.

Last night was the first time in awhile I felt meh about an episode.  I enjoyed the Dunphy kids storyline, Phil is always good for laughs.  And Mitchell crawling into the duct work was amusing.  But the rest was shrug worthy.