DAR

Modern Family

Really?! You over analyze EVERYTHING! I want to hear your opinions on other tv shows. "Oh my gosh, the Scranton business park from the office is so unrealistic. There wouldn't be that many funny people in one office. There would be more than one black person there." Just enjoy the damn show without nitpicking every aspect of it!

• Like 1

The 2 American families I know best are both American soldiers having married Austrian girls (my cousins) in Europe. (They now live in Oklahoma and I've visited them a few times). Also not your typical Amerian families. I watch Modern Family, because I like half the characters and think the dialog funny most of the time. The last issue I pointed out, was where I think the characters do not react like real persons would. I would never give a baby entrusted to me to a stranger just because she says, she is the baby's mother. Latina temprament or not.

Okay name me ONE sitcom where characters always react like real people.  Real people are aren't always as funny and a show like that would be incredibly boring.

• Like 1

Okay name me ONE sitcom where characters always react like real people.  Real people are aren't always as funny and a show like that would be incredibly boring.

Exactly. My favorite TV comedy to watch is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and the main characters are all dysfunctional greedy assholes.

• Like 1

Most of my favourites are Austrian, German and British shows of the 60s and 70s and you surely never heard of them.

I liked Dallas(1978) with Larry Hagman, because he was a very believable crook. And I loved him in I Dream Of Jeannie (1965).

Of course I overanalyze the series, but is not that the fun of it? I would not do it, if I did not care. I really like the Jay and Mitchel characters and admire certain traits of Phil and Claire. Gloria and Manny are unbelievable for me. I cannot stand Luke and Cam and the girls Alex and Haley do not get interesting plot lines recently. As a prize awarded family sitcom I expect more from Modern Family than some laughs. For instance The Godfather episode with Phil and Luke would have ben more funny, if these roles would have been more in accordance with their habitual personalities in the show.

Edited by Rudolf

Most of my favourites are Austrian, German and British shows of the 60s and 70s and you surely never heard of them.

I liked Dallas(1978) with Larry Hagman, because he was a very believable crook. And I loved him in I Dream Of Jeannie (1965).

Of course I overanalyze the series, but is not that the fun of it? I would not do it, if I did not care. I really like the Jay and Mitchel characters and admire certain traits of Phil and Claire. Gloria and Manny are unbelievable for me. I cannot stand Luke and Cam and the girls Alex and Haley do not get interesting plot lines recently. As a prize awarded family sitcom I expect more from Modern Family than some laughs. For instance The Godfather episode with Phil and Luke would have ben more funny, if these roles would have been more in accordance with their habitual personalities in the show.

Well okay as long as you're having fun with this... although it doesn't seem that fun to me :P

• Community Manager

Here we go again I'm done arguing with you lol

I don't think he was arguing but stating actual plot points on the show. If he was arguing, he would have made an actual point relating to what happened.

• Community Manager

Actually I asked a question. "Why does Lily hate Vietnam?" I did not get it. I understood why she thinks she is gay, but not not her expressed hatred for Vietnam.

She doesn't actually hate Vuetnam. She wanted to be like her dads so she called herself gay. She thought that being Vietnamese meant that she wasn't like them. So she lashed out. You answered your own question in that post.

She doesn't actually hate Vuetnam. She wanted to be like her dads so she called herself gay. She thought that being Vietnamese meant that she wasn't like them. So she lashed out. You answered your own question in that post.

So she neither understands the concept of ethnicity nor sexual orientation?

But Lily talked about "learning it in school", where one fellow seemed to be Italian. Is she the only Asian underachiever in America?

I mean I get it that she does not understand what gay means, because nobody will explain it to her at that age, but they are talking about heritage. Gloria is very proud of hers all the time. Lily has met Asian women before and the the Vietnamese restaurant lady was very nice to them, so why the outcry "I hate Vietnam"

Edited by Rudolf

But Lily talked about "learning it in school", where one fellow seemed to be Italian. Is she the only Asian underachiever in America? I mean I get it that she does not understand what gay means, because nobody will explain it to her at that age, but they are talking about heritage. Gloria is very proud of hers all the time. Lily has met Asian women before and the the Vietnamese restaurant lady was very nice to them, so why the outcry "I hate Vietnam"

Watching the scene again, she doesn't not understand any of the terms.

• Community Manager

But Lily talked about "learning it in school", where one fellow seemed to be Italian. Is she the only Asian underachiever in America?

I mean I get it that she does not understand what gay means, because nobody will explain it to her at that age, but they are talking about heritage. Gloria is very proud of hers all the time. Lily has met Asian women before and the the Vietnamese restaurant lady was very nice to them, so why the outcry "I hate Vietnam"

Yes they talked about it in school but I mean once again she's five or four. She seems to get the very basic concept of it but I don't think she's really going to understand the intricacies of it. I mean, have you never talked to a five year old?

• Like 1

Yes they talked about it in school but I mean once again she's five or four. She seems to get the very basic concept of it but I don't think she's really going to understand the intricacies of it. I mean, have you never talked to a five year old?

Watching the scene again, she barely understood any of it. Just thinking she could be only 1 of the choices, and not really understanding the meaning of any of them.