Withnail & I (1987)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The great english character actor Richard Griffiths passed away two days ago, and his performance in Withnail & I is one of his most famous. He is indeed funny as hell as the lascivious and explosively homosexual Uncle Monty ("..you terrible ----!") who attempts to put the moves on poor Paul Mccan, even if "by means of burglary".This is such a good british comedy with a great comedic duo of Mccan and Richard E. Grant, dryly funny dialogue and plenty of rainy and miserable english countryside. A winner.5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

Brilliant film. One of the best merges of comedy and drama I've ever seen, a film that easily manages to be both hilarious and profoundly sad whenever it needs to. Also one of the films I personally relate to a lot - I recently spent a bit more than a year in the company of a friend who is a lot like Withnail - clearly very intelligent and talented but a bit too cynical and self-destructive to really make use of it, slightly eccentric, charismatic as hell, much taller than me and loves to drink - and I was pretty much a straight man to all that. He is himself a huge fan of the film and actually showed it to me, and while I never directly asked him about it, he probably relates to it quite a bit too. He's moved to another city half a year ago, and as I watched the movie for a second time in late December, it really hit home, and I saw it much more as a poignant and bittersweet character study about a particular friendship. But really, no matter how you look at it, it's a winner.

Also, I find myself saying "we want the best wines available to humanity, and we want them here, and we want them now!" more often than I thought I would. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1