A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

4 hours ago, Tower said:

I know that, which is why I wrote " Having said that, not all the people in the above categories will be shown the video, as Facebook has complicated algorithms to decide what to show you".

Um, any algorithm facebook has that would not give me a video with Jennifer Lawrence in it, posted by Jennifer Lawrence  and regarding Passengers Movie would have put them out of business long ago for sheer inaccuracy. I've liked both her page and the movie page, amongst other things.  I'll look into how facebook counts at some point but I think this is not correct.

31 minutes ago, trifle said:

Um, any algorithm facebook has that would not give me a video with Jennifer Lawrence in it, posted by Jennifer Lawrence  and regarding Passengers Movie would have put them out of business long ago for sheer inaccuracy. I've liked both her page and the movie page, amongst other things.  I'll look into how facebook counts at some point but I think this is not correct.

I don't know the exact way the algorithm works, but I have seen trailers show up from pages I liked. it's possible (but this is speculation) that it didn't show you the video specifically because you had already immediately went and watched it on her page and it avoided showing you something you had already seen.

41 minutes ago, trifle said:

I don't know how to link facebook page posts (assuming there is a way) but on the Mike Goudreau Fan page it says that this song is going to be featured in Passengers:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6976798

You click on the time of the post and then copy the url. Link to the post.

• Like 2

This was posted in a Rogue One club thread, because obviously it is more relevant to Rogue One, but I love that Passengers was number 10 on the list of social media conversations even for that week in August when the only thing to discuss was that there was no trailer yet.  For a movie without a brand or franchise or even a book it's based on, I find that very encouraging.  Since there was no trailer yet, I think it pretty much shows that the star focused marketing served Sony well. (Although I still wish we'd had a trailer sooner!)

rogue-one-preact.jpg?w=908

http://deadline.com/2016/08/rogue-one-rio-olympics-trailer-social-media-traffic-1201803372/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, trifle said:

This was posted in a Rogue One club thread, because obviously it is more relevant to Rogue One, but I love that Passengers was number 10 on the list of social media conversations even for that week in August when the only thing to discuss was that there was no trailer yet.  For a movie without a brand or franchise or even a book it's based on, I find that very encouraging.  Since there was no trailer yet, I think it pretty much shows that the star focused marketing served Sony well. (Although I still wish we'd had a trailer sooner!)

rogue-one-preact.jpg?w=908

http://deadline.com/2016/08/rogue-one-rio-olympics-trailer-social-media-traffic-1201803372/

The other 9 movies above it were:

Franchise movies with huge fanbases (SW,Potter,SpiderMan) that will talk about them constantly online no matter what.

Furious 8 which had the Vin Diesel-Rock backstage feud story breaking around that time.

Movies that had just dropped a new trailer (Resident Evil, Bad Santa, Dunkirk)

and movies that were just a few days before release (Don't Breathe, Kubo)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

August 8th, a few days after the Passengers Trailer fiasco...

Yeah, but it usually takes a trailer to grab attention to begin with if it isn't a franchise. That a few days later so many were still talking about the trailer, never officially announced, that never dropped shows it has a following already.

26 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

YUP, and I was one of them.

It was always true, btw, Sony was going to release the trailer on Aug 4 and decided -in the last minute- to put it on hold.

CszeMUgWgAAVC_X.jpg

I know it turned out after the fact to have been true but at the time Sony had never said 'it is coming out on this date', just a distributor in another country said it to someone who tweeted it out.  It was accurate that that was the plan, however, it was never reported in any trade or anywhere official, so the people who even knew it might come out were the ones who were tracking it down on their own.  For there to be people who do that without a franchise or even an original book following bodes well for the film.

• Like 1

I wonder what caused the last minute change in plans. Peculiar decision.

In the end I don't think it'll matter much, I just hope it's not reflective of ongoing confusion with the marketing/movie. I want this movie to be good, and I want it to do great.

Don't let me down, Sony!

• Like 1

Mojowatch "10 Best Trailers of September 2016"  -- spoiler, they have Passengers as No. 1

they have Fantastic Beasts' trailer as 2, Dr. Strange as 3, and Moana as 4, for those who want to know but don't want to watch.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2