Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. The Reboot. ET, Animal House, Harry Potter, Armageddon, and more.

468 posts in this topic

According to Letterboxd, ive seen over 930 movies, but when doing letterboxd, I found a shocking revelation: I only have 29 movies logged that are pre-1980. This actually saddens me. As a movie buff, I feel so uncultured even though I've seen near 1,000 movies, so I'm gonna double down and start watching a lot of movies before my time aka pre-1993.

Hears the 29 I have logged. I really feel like I'm forgetting some, like a Bruce Lee or two and maybe a western, but either way this is a very low number regardless:

Spoiler

- Frankenstein

- King Kong

- Duck Soup

- Citizen Kane

- Casablanca

- Cinderella (i think)

- Rear Window

- Vertigo

- Pyscho

- Zulu

- Batman 66 and 89

- The Good, Bad, Ugly

- Bonnie and Clyde

- Romeo and Juliet

- Willy Wonka

- Enter the Dragon

- Hindenburg

- The Sting

- Hindenberg

- Chinatown

- Grinch

- Princess Bride

- Jaws

- Jaws 2

- Young Frankenstein

- Charlottes Web

- Miracle Worker

- Mother, Juggs, and Speed

- Grease

- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

- Pretty Woman

80s movies:

Spoiler

- Airplane

- Raiders

- Fast Times at Ridgemont

- Trading Places

- NL Vacation

- Christmas Story

- 16 Candles

- Ghostbusters

- Karate Kid

- Revenge of the Nerds

- Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2

- Goonies

- Top Gun

- Ferris Bueller

- Raising Arizona

- Harry and the Hendersons

- Roxanne

- Lucas

- Adventures in Babysitting

- Planes, Trains, Automobiles

- Bettlejuice

- Bull Durham

- Coming to America

- Die Hard

- Fish Called Wanda

- Honey I Shrunk the Kids

- Rain Man

- Batman

- Do the Right Thing

- One of the Police Academys

- Cooley High

- Sixteen Candles

- One or two of the Bruce Lee's

- Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead

- Jetson's

I'm severely lacking in the 80's department too, only 27 logged from 80-89. I just want to watch these movies, give my feedback, and you guys give feedback as well. Maybe since I'm only 21, maybe I see a picture differently than Alpha whos 15 or Tele whos 1500?

I'd also love yalls suggestions for titles. I know theres some greats I'm missing. (Yes yes I know, SW. I have the DVD, Ill watch it soon. Don't hound me about Star Wars lol). So yeah. If no one cares, the thread can slowly sink, but if not then cool. I watch all types of movies, with all budgets, not just the big Hollywood blockbusters, so I'm surprised at my lack of 20th century viewing. Hopefully you guys can help me change that. :)

I don't have a certain goal or anything, but I'd like to see how much I could fit in before the end of the year. Maybe 100? Who knows.

20's: 0

30's: Bride of Frankenstein (35), Invisible Man (33) B, Dracula (31), Wizard of Oz (39) B, The Mummy (32)

40's: His Girl Friday (40), Bambi (42), Third Man (49)

50's: How to Marry a Millionaire (53), Dial M For Murder (54), North By Northwest (59) A, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (58) F, War of the Worlds (53), Creature From The Black Lagoon (54) C, It Came From Outer Space (53), Sunset Boulevard (50), Anatomy of Murder (59), House of Wax (53), To Catch A Thief (55) B

60's: Charade (63) B, Move Over Darling (63), Lawrence of Arabia (62), Dr. No (62) B, From Russia With Love (63) B, Goldfinger (64) A, Thunderball (65), The Birds (63) A, In The Heat of The Night (67) B, Dr. Strangelove (64), Breakfast at Tiffany's (61) B, The Graduate (67) B, Guess Whos Coming To Dinner (67) A, How To Steal a Million (66), Fantastic Voyage (66) B, You Only Live Twice (67), 2001 (68) D, Producers (68), Village of the Damned (60)

70's: Aristocats (70), The In-Laws (79) B, Network (76), Poseidon Adventure (72), Kramer vs Kramer (79) B, The Warriors (79) B, Airport (70) C, Blazing Saddles (74) D, Alien (79) A, Escape from Alcatraz (79) C, Close Encounters (77) B, Oh God! (77) B, Mad Max (79) C, Superman (78) A, A New Hope (77) A, Shaft (71) B, French Connection (74), Annie Hall (77) A, Taxi Driver (76) B

80's: Big Trouble in Little China (86) B, Blade Runner (82), Heathers (88) B, 48 Hrs (82), Crocodile Dundee (86) B, Clue (85), Tron (82), , Three Men and a Baby (87), Tootsie (82), Crocodile Dundee 2 (88), Friday the 13th 1&2 (80-81), Good Morning Vietnam (87), Broadcast News (87), 9 to 5 (80) C, War Games (83) B, Lean On Me (89) B, Driving Miss Daisy (89), First Blood (82) B, Commando (85) C, Predator (87) B, Roger Rabbit (88) B, Escape From NY (81) C, Platoon (86) B, Temple of Doom (84) B, Dune (84) F, Superman II (80) B, Abyss (89) B, Cannonball Run (81) D, Romancing the Stone (84) B, Empire Strikes Back (80) A, Return of the Jedi (83) B, Gremlins (84), Mad Max Road Warrior (81) B, Aliens (86), Near Dark (87), Conan (82)

90's: Swingers (96), Rocketeer (91) B, Juice (92) B, Secret of the Oooze (91) F, Get Shorty (95) C, Shes All That (99) B, Ghost (90) A, Poetic Justice (93) B, Hot Shots Part Deux (93) B, Three Kings (99) B, Hot Shots (91) D, Beverly Hillbillies (93) F, Class Act (92), Thelma and Louise (91) B, Crimson Tide (95) B, The Mummy (99) B, Silence Of The Lambs (91) B, Scream 2 (97) B, The Rock (96) B, Face/Off (97) A, Last of the Mohicans (92) C, Liar Liar (97) B, Air Force One (97) B, Sixth Sense (99) A

00's: Bruce Almighty (03) B, Kill Bill 1&2 (03-04) B, Mission Impossible 2 (00) D, Unbreakable (00) B, Scary Movie (00) B, Oceans Eleven (01) B, Bourne Supremacy (04) A

Edited by jandrew
4 people like this

Currently pre 1990's movies in my Netflix list are Top Gun (seen it), Taxi Driver, 48 Hours, The Way of the Dragon (may have seen it), Aristocats, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Escape from Alcatraz, Crocodile Dundee, Good Morning Vietnam, Fatal Attraction, and The Quiet Man. I had a bunch of the old James Bond's on there, but I guess I waited too long and Netflix deleted them. This doesn't include HBO and TCM and what not, but yeah lol. 

Big Trouble in Little China.

2 people like this

Big Trouble in Little China.

Well what do you know, the whole movie is on Youtube. Added it. Thanks Ed, I might start with that!

I feel like some elderly user might've just posted some list that has a good amount of 80s and pre-80s movies on it.

:ph34r:

7 people like this

I haven't seen that many before 1980 either. only 94. I think but here are some Suggestions:

You Simply Must watch It's a Wonderful Life (1946). it is like the best movie about Christmas ever made.

Metropolis (1927) First Sci-fi film ever made I think. it's Brilliant and on Netflix
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) (how have you not see this yet?)

Modern Times (1936)

Gone With the Wind (1939) (overrated imo. but still very good)

Pinocchio (1940)

Bambi (1942) 

Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Singin' In the Rain (1952)

Peter Pan (1953)

Lady and the Tramp (1955)

Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

The Parent Trap (1961)

101 Dalmatians (1961) 

West Side Story (1961)

The Jungle Book (1967)

Moon Spinners (1964)

The Music Man (1962)

My Fair Lady (1964)
The Sound of Music (1965)

The Aristocats (1970)

Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

The Godfather (1972)

Robin Hood (1973)

Charlotte's Web (1973)

Rocky (1976)

The Rescuers (1977)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

The Man Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)

Superman: The Movie (1978) (Superman II was really good too)

Rocky II (1979) (III and IV too, V was kind of crappy, but watch it, and Rocky Balboa was pretty good too) 

Alien (1979) 

Mad Max (1979)

you Haven't seen STAR WARS?????!!!!!!!  :o  :o  :o  :unsure:  :wacko: . WATCH IT NOW!!!!!!!!!

What are the 1980s films you've seen? that decade was mint and to only see 27 films from then is disgraceful. 

Edited by Kalo

Kalo, 80s movies:

- Airplane

- Raiders

- Fast Times at Ridgemnont

- Trading Places

- NL Vacation

- Christmas Story

- 16 Candles

- Ghostbusters

- Karate Kid

- Revenge of the Nerds

- Goonies

- Top Gun

- Ferris Bueller

- Raising Arizona

- Roxanne

- Lucas

- Bettlejuice

- Bull Durham

- Coming to America

- Die Hard

- Fish Called Wanda

- Honey I Shruunk the Kids

- Rain Man

- Batman

- Do the Right Thing

- One of the Police Academys

- I may have seen Rambo, but then again I may be thinking aboit the Rambo game I played at Chuck E Cheese

No I havent seen the original Star Wars, (though I did have Lego Star Wars on PS2). Ive already been hounded for it, but I plan on watching once I have time to marathon. I have all 6 here.

I feel like some elderly user might've just posted some list that has a good amount of 80s and pre-80s movies on it.

:ph34r:

If you need to see something real ancient, check out Tele's favorite movie list

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/index.php?/topic/18010-teles-100-favorite-movies-aka-comfort-food-complete/

Lol Ill go look. Tele has good taste. Thanks people for suggestions. Obviously I can watch them all now, but yall can help me with priorities. I might start with Big Men in Little China. Whats something else I could squeeze in tonight? Edited by Jandrew
3 people like this

THE ROCKETEER is on Netflix streaming, and it's under 2 hours.

2 people like this

Kalo, 80s movies:

- Airplane

- Raiders

- Fast Times at Ridgemnont

- Trading Places

- NL Vacation

- Christmas Story

- 16 Candles

- Ghostbusters

- Karate Kid

- Revenge of the Nerds

- Goonies

- Top Gun

- Ferris Bueller

- Raising Arizona

- Roxanne

- Bettlejuice

- Bull Durham

- Coming to America

- Die Hard

- Fish Called Wanda

- Honey I Shruunk the Kids

- Rain Man

- Batman

- Do the Right Thing

No I havent seen the original Star Wars, (though I did have Lego Star Wars on PS2). Ive already been hounded for it, but I plan on watching once I have time to marathon. I have all 6 here.

Well marathon is the way to go. and watch the prequels with an open mind, yeah the acting is not the greatest. but there is still plenty to like about them. and ROTS is amazing imo. (or have you already seen them?)

As for 80s aside from Empire and Jedi of course.

• The Blues Brothers (1980)
  • My Bodyguard (1980)
  • Superman II (1981)
  • The Fox and the Hound (1981)
  • The Man From Snowy River (1982)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
  • E.T. (1982)
  • War Games (1983)
  • The Terminator (1984)
  • Footloose (1984)
  • Amadeus (1984) 
  • Romancing the Stone (1984)
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
  • Back To the Future (1985)
  • Anne of Green Gables (1985)
  • The Breakfast Club (1985)
  • Witness (1985)
  • Stand By Me (1986)
  • Aliens (1986)
  • Pretty in Pink (1986)
  • An American Tail (1986)
  • The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
  • The Princess Bride (1987)
  • Anne of Green Gables the Sequel (1987)
  • The Chipmunk Adventure (1987)
  • Dirty Dancing (1987)
  • Throw Mama From the Train (1987)
  • Big Business (1988)
  • The Land Before Time (1988)
  • Big (1988)
  • Return to Snowy River (1988)
  • Oliver and Company (1988)
  • The Little Mermaid (1989)
  • ​Christmas Vacation (1989)
  • Dead Poets Society (1989) 
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
  • Steel Magnolias (1989)
  • All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)

Edited by Kalo
1 person likes this

This makes me feel cultured...

1 person likes this

Considering the title of your thread, I think it would be appropriate for you to actually see Back to the Future :D

Edited by darkelf
3 people like this

The biggest reason im lacking so much is becasue I just cant find these movies. Like The Towering Inferno, I really want to see it, but cant find it anywhere. Its not on Netflix, HBO, etc. and I dont download movies off the net. Other than the library, where can I find it? I dont like renting offItunes, but even they dont have it.

Came out 41 years ago, I wish there was some public domain or something.

1 person likes this

The biggest reason im lacking so much is becasue I just cant find these movies. Like The Towering Inferno, I really want to see it, but cant find it anywhere. Its not on Netflix, HBO, etc. and I dont download movies off the net. Other than the library, where can I find it? I dont like renting offItunes, but even they dont have it.

Came out 41 years ago, I wish there was some public domain or something.

There's a window for video stores right now.... carry all the titles not currently available via streaming/Netflix/Redbox/etc.

2 people like this

1 movie down! Thanks Ed for suggesting BIg Trouble In Little China. While it got pretty damn weird like 6 or 7 times, it was still alot of fun and the editing was excellent. Kurt Russell felt almost like a parody, his character stuck out like a sore thumb, but he was still very likeable. The story was iffy, but it was still a pretty entertaining in an unorthodox, but good way.

Now to find something else for tonight!

There's a window for video stores right now.... carry all the titles not currently available via streaming/Netflix/Redbox/etc.

What do you mean? Theres stores that carry what the streamings dont? All the blockbusters here closed. Or are you saying they should?

1 movie down! Thanks Ed for suggesting BIg Trouble In Little China. While it got pretty damn weird like 6 or 7 times, it was still alot of fun and the editing was excellent. Kurt Russell felt almost like a parody, his character stuck out like a sore thumb, but he was still very likeable. The story was iffy, but it was still a pretty entertaining in an unorthodox, but good way.

Now to find something else for tonight!

What do you mean? Theres stores that carry what the streamings dont? All the blockbusters here closed. Or are you saying they should?

Kurt Russell *was* a parody! :lol:

I'm saying there's a really good (but short-term) business model for video stores right now... but I don't know of anyone (other than the most famous of the super-indies) that're actually doing this.

1 person likes this

Jandrew! REPO MAN! From 1984. It's on Amazon Instant Video.

Tarantino has got to be one of the biggest cinephile in the world. I am pretty sure there are a lot of movies Tarantino has seen that aren t into letterboxd...

He has seen pretty much everything and no it s not a figure of speach, his film knowledge is infinite.

When Inglorious Basterds was released, there were a lot of interviews of Melanie Laurent in the french media and she got asked a lot of questions about QT and of course she spoke about how his life was all and only about movies.

Even when he shoots a film, he sees at least two movies a day, he always have a device that allows him to see movies.

And on week ends, he spends much of his time watching movies.

Laurent was invinted to one of these films binges and she said she learned a lot from QT about the history of film.

Scorcese is also known for being a maniacal cinephile.

A cameron anecdocte

In the early 90 s, James Cameron and Guillermo del Toro were very good friends, still are, and they used to go to this video store to buy Laserdiscs ( google it if you don t know what it is).

Del Toro couldn t stop laughing while telling the anecdocte.

Basically, Del Toro bought 4 or 5 laserdiscs but Cameron, each time they went to this store bough around 200 laserdiscs.

He was buying everything : current movies, old classics, imports from all over the world ... He had never enough.

1 person likes this

What I was trying to say with my Tarantino- Scorcese- Cameron blurb is that, as time passes on, there are more and more films and seeing everything, even the classics of each era back to the Lumieres, is pretty much an impossible task.

1 person likes this

Jandrew! REPO MAN! From 1984. It's on Amazon Instant Video.

I got excited but saw they dont have it available for stream, just rent. I dont want to pay for anything just yet, but Ill add that to the list, but heres a good one to end the night...

Blade Runner?