baumer

The Other Woman (2014)

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

An absolutely fantastic romantic comedy. Cameron Diaz is amazing like usual and Leslie Mann was fantastic and probably the funniest. Kate Upton was also really good and nicki Minaj was not annoying and actually really good- her character kind of fit her perfectly. The film has many many laughs and a really good plot. The ending is fantastic when they are all waiting for the cheat in the conference room at Carly's work place and then Nikolaj costar-waldau character keeps walking into the glass. Great film and definitely recommend.A+

• Like 2

An absolutely fantastic romantic comedy. Cameron Diaz is amazing like usual and Leslie Mann was fantastic and probably the funniest. Kate Upton was also really good and nicki Minaj was not annoying and actually really good- her character kind of fit her perfectly. The film has many many laughs and a really good plot. The ending is fantastic when they are all waiting for the cheat in the conference room at Carly's work place and then Nikolaj costar-waldau character keeps walking into the glass. Great film and definitely recommend.A+

I am glad to hear that as I saw a critic roast this in a headline, as it is probably not a critics movie. Sometimes you want to see just a good old fun movie, and not see a Citizen Kane masterpiece.
  • Like 1

I'm not even going to bother reading any ridiculous reviews from so called critics.  All the crap they read into this is laughable.  The Other Woman is absolutely one of the funniest films I've seen.  There were times where the comedy was so frenetic for an extended period of time that I was having a hard time catching my breath. Cameron Diaz is fantastic in this but Leslie Mann absolutely carries this.  The director, Nick Cassavettes, was smart as well.  He kept the camera on Mann for long periods of time.  Other directors, namely her husband, might have cut her off early and that would have been a mistake.  When she's allowed to let it rip in here, she goes off.  And that's part of what makes the film so funny.  

The script by Melissa Stack, is both funny and poignant.  There's many scenes of prolonged hilarity and there's also scenes that are quieter and they resonate with you.  This is a story about a woman who gave up everything because she thought she was marrying the perfect guy.  Then she has her whole world destroyed.  The film beautifully balances the comic and heartfelt possibilities.  One of my favourite scenes in the film didn't involve me holding my tummy from laughing so hard.  It has Mann having a moment to herself.  She throws her wedding ring into the ocean and reflects on all that has gone wrong.  She sits in the sand and then Diaz joins her.  They lock arms and the soundtrack continues to play.  The Upton strolls down and they all join arms and rest their heads on each other's shoulders.  It was that moment I realized that this was more than just a slapstick comedy.  There's some real heart in here.

My favourite movie so far this year.

9/10

• Like 3

^Just a few things (cant be bothered to quote)I had the exact same thing about catching my breath. It felt weird when I went about 2/3 minutes without laughingAnd also thanks for explaining the scene with them all together. I actually missed the part of Mann throwing the ring into the sea somehow (but I did really like the scene anyway but I like it even more now)

• Like 1

The scene was the point in the movie where Mann finally let go.  Up till that point, she was having a hard time.  I can relate to that.  Yes, it sounds funny.  I'm male but what I mean is that my marriage is over but I've had a hard time letting go.  You want to but even when you think about all the shitty things your spouse has done to you, you just miss them.  I haven't quite had that moment yet where I "let go".  But that moment in the film resonated with me because I know it has to come soon.  I'm getting close to being ready.  Just a really nice, quiet but extremely apropos and powerful moment.

• Like 1

Well, good movie or no, I can't bring myself to watch a film where my boy the Kingslayer is reduced to this  :sadno:

Posted Image

That's sad dude.  It's such a small part of the movie.

• Like 1

I thought the entire plot of the movie revolved around the 'Other Women' exacting revenge on Nikolaj's character?

Yea, but it's not really physical revenge.  And it's not really a movie just about that, there's so much more to it.

• Like 1

Hey Baumer, my friend Britt is supposed to be in this, but she thinks they cut her line. Was this girl in it?

Posted Image

She has one line?  I have no idea lol.  I can't recall her in the film.

Well, she's very attractive but I don't remember seeing her.  I'm seeing it again either tomorrow or Tuesday so I'll look for her this time.

• Community Manager

B+

I shockingly liked this movie. I thought I was going to hate it but then BAM! It was funny, had great acting, a pretty good script, and it turned out to be worth the money I paid for it.

• Like 4