theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

I just think it can't compete against the juggernauts which is what Paramount hoped for, it'd be doing far better if it wasn't such a crowded month.

I'm not sure Star Trek will ever shake the cerebral/intelligent tag which is sadly just associated with nerdy, space adventures seem to have that vibe outside of Wars.

I wonder if they'll move it back to Christmas? When MI3 didn't do as well as hoped (albeit against far less competition?) they moved MI4 to Christmas...Trek 09 was supposed to be a Christmas release too.

Its competing against a 3 week old IM3 and a 2 week old Gatsby. Hardly big competition. 

My STID screening tonight was basically a sellout. Theater was packed.

Arclight Sherman Oaks? Yeah I'm thinking there were full showings but not sell outs. Still it's nice to see those showtimes crossed out on opening weekend.

Edited by ECSTASY

Like baumer mentioned, it appears ST09 was a one-off. Star Trek was never "big" to begin with.

Not really true. As Tele showed us yesterday, ST 1-4 grossed fairly consistently and near ST09 adjusted. So ST did have a good box office run back in the beginning. ST09 was just the first in a long time to be big.

They'll do fine of course, but it's the first year in a long time they don't have anything locked for at least 200. CA2 and Good Dinosaur have good shots, but they aren't locked. And there's also a lot of potential bombs scheduled (Need For Speed, Bears, Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, Tomorrowland)

Bears is from Disneynature so even for Disney I doubt it will cost that much to make.