Captain Craig

Star Trek 13, nuTrek 3...however you count it...what's next??

If you have NOT seen Star Trek into Darkness(Trek 12) you should not participate in this thread just yet. As it is about speculation on where or what you might like to see for the next installment in the venerable Trek franchise. Spoilers will likley pop up.....you've been warned.

At first I was resigned to that idea that the next film would be "The Search for Kirk", since this was a redo of Khan. With that not being the case due to the power of Khan's blood what would the next film look like? Where does it organically go from here?

I think in some ways it will honor Search for Spock as that was the first film to have the Klingons as a main antagonistic threat. Even if it was one ship of them. In STiD Admiral Wallace all but says a war with the Klingons is practically already underway and on it's way to full blown. That is after all why he awakened Khan and built the battle cruiser in secret. With the events on Chronos not likely to have a warm welcome once word got back I think Star Trek 13 is going to be an all out war with the Klingons.

A Klingon War though has to have a back drop of a larger scale though? There should be a reason they stop fighting? What might the mcguffin be that causes them to pull back from fighting? If indeed this is where they go with the next film? 

Thoughts? Other suggestions of where the next film leads?

They've set up some conflict with the Klingons pretty well -- that seems the natural path for the next story. I would like to see it happen in the context of some actual space exploration, since they're also out on their 5-year mission. Maybe a planet or region of space with some valuable resource, near the border of the two powers.

I think that boxoffice will drop even more. Some fans count on war to give a boost but DS9 was all about war and it was a ratings fiasco, neither Trekkies got hooked (Niners are a really small part of Trekdom) nor non-Trekkies got converted.

I don`t like the new Klingon design. They look like I Am Number 4. What`s up with that design? Extremis were Number Four too.

They've set up some conflict with the Klingons pretty well -- that seems the natural path for the next story. I would like to see it happen in the context of some actual space exploration, since they're also out on their 5-year mission. Maybe a planet or region of space with some valuable resource, near the border of the two powers.

This could work as the McGuffin they fight over but have to set aside those differences for _______ mutual beneficial reason.

Bring on the borg IMO.

This, to be honest. If they broke the continuity in order to play with the Trek elements as they liked...hell, go for the big ones.

The Klingons are very famous, but in the end they are a very abstract idea...the fact that a story is 'Klingon-centered' doesn't say anything specific about its content. And they are not mutually exclusive. Say that the Borg attack the Klingons and this forces them to ask for help to the Federation...then you have a mix of STVI and First Contact. You can't go wrong with that.

I say bring on the Borg and some time-controlling device, the five captains in order to commemorate the 50th anniversary, and restore the previous temporal line.

I think it's going to be pretty difficult to renew the entire cast for a 4th movie anyway, so they may as well end things now just in case.