Blankments

Animation: Genre or Medium?

It's pretty much everywhere outside Japan, really. You look at Europe and all their "big" animated films are in the same mold as the American loud talking animals. The artsy ones don't do much better over there than they do over here. The Illusionist actually made less in France than it did in America.

There are many many European animations that aren't within that category though.  I mean how exactly do you define a 'big' animated film in Europe?  Do you restrict it to its country of origin?  To the continent?  Is it based on the amount of money it makes or its overall awareness among the population?

I would argue that movies like Plague Dogs and Watership Down had a pretty high awareness level and they are nothing like what people think of in terms of 'animated' films.

Also it's hard to judge solely by box office.  Yes, there are some animated films that do really well, but that doesn't make it not a medium because there are still lots of places that are producing animated features that don't fall within the so-called 'genre' that people assume animation is.

Calling it a genre is kind of limiting, really.

...also some animations man... has anyone here ever seen "Fantastic Planet"(la planete sauvage), Heavy Metal, Rock and Rule or Felidae (don't watch it if you can't stomach gore.  Seriously)?  Those movies are definitely not for kids by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW: my own chime-in here:  It's a medium.

There are many many European animations that aren't within that category though.  I mean how exactly do you define a 'big' animated film in Europe?  Do you restrict it to its country of origin?  To the continent?  Is it based on the amount of money it makes or its overall awareness among the population?

This whole debate is based on the general perspective of animation being synonymous with "kids movie". So yes, I mean box office. They love Ice Age, they love Despicable Me. And they've also got a lot of other low-budget CGI concoctions that still find an audience.

Even if you include the kid-friendly artsy movies, Ernest and Celestine only made $6 million in France and less than a million in Belgium. People want the 3D snark-fests.

Edited by tribefan695