Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

37 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Love this film so much. It is by far my favorite Harry Potter Movie and one of my favorite movies of all-time.

It is a huge step forward in the Harry Potter Series. I watched it again a few weeks back and I still enjoyed it immensely. 

I would give it an.......

A(97)

Edited by Empire
  • Like 3

I do think it needed more quiet moments, we needed more scenes like Sirius asking Harry to live with him, Dumbledore saying some contemplative shit and Lupin just casually talking to Harry. Still, it's pretty great.

Edited by Goffe

As a fan of the book series I would have been perfectly fine with the movies being just well shot recreations of the books with a few neat ideas here and there. I've seen every other movie of the series once in theatres but for Azkaban I went 4 times in the span of 2 weeks just because I couldn't get enough of it as a movie.

It's not just the darker tone and sense of wonder that Cuaron brings to the screen, it isn't even just how they re-imagined Hogwarts from a sunny boarding school that magic occasionally happens to a castle with its own personality, almost a part of the scenery as if it was always there. It is mostly about how Cuaron is the only director in this franchise to do his own interpretation of the material instead of just adapting it with a few visual flourishes here and there. Even if the young actors are not at their best yet they feel real in a way they haven't in some of the later movies despite them becoming better as actors. Same goes with the amazing grown-up cast, especially Lupin who might be the only character in the entire series that his screen version is equal or better than the books. Cuaron finds what makes every little character tick here besides their use to the larger plot and the way he transitions from scene to scene informs both the story and the characters. Or how about the way he sets up the place the climax will be taking place (whomping willow) as a mark of the seasons passing. Also the pacing is simply impeccable and that's why I don't even bother second guessing any of the cuts/alterations from the book.

There are many many wonderful scenes but Harry's flight with the Hippogryff is probably the most awe-inspiring sequence of the whole franchise. I think it's the only one of the movies that gives me the same sense of wonder and emotional investment I had when I was reading the book.

A+.

• Like 1