rockNrollaDIM

Foreign Language Film Discussion

I started a thread like this on BOM and people liked it so, yeah, talk about your favorite foreign language films here or ones you've recently seen.

Tonight I watched 13 Assassins (2010, Japan). This was a fun Samurai film. I enjoyed it alot. It had some surprising comedic elements that I wasn't expecting, it was I guess like Japan's equivalent of what a typical American period-action-adventure film would be like. Although maybe a little more on the serious side, with one of the longest fight sequences I've ever seen (basically the entire last hour of the film was a battle scene). And it was an awesome battle.

Finally, somebody replies :lol:Last weekend I caught Alfonso Cuarón's directorial debut, "Sólo con tu Pareja" (English: "Only with you Partner") (1991). It's a topical film for that time dealing with the AIDS epidemic. The main character sleeps around alot, and a nurse that he screws around on changes the results of his HIV test so it reads positive and he thinks he has AIDS which makes him want to commit suicide. From the premise it sounds like it should be this depressing melodrama, but while there are occasional elements of that, it's much more of a screwball sex comedy than anything. Still, it was pretty decent, and funny too.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

I want to watch Castle in the Sky before I go back to school.Also maybe Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. IDK about that one.*Also I think this thread should be moved to the Speakeasy general forum thing... it would get more views/comments.

Edited by Dragon Travtoo

Has anyone heard of any movies ABOUT languages? I don't really have an example except "Windtalkers" or something. Babel kind of maybe idk.

not clear what you meanin The 13th Warrior Antonio Banderas's character learns the language of the Norseman by listening

There's a new documentary/movie called Jiro Dreams of Sushi that came out today and the trailer looks great. It's playing in two theaters here, one where I saw A Separation.http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbV6knbeUFE

I saw this one last week. I loved it, I can say that it's one of my favorite documentaries. I've been seeing lots of foreign movies recently: Oslo 31 August, Les Quatre Cents Coups (The 400 Blows), Ruokala Lokki (Kamome Diner), Kataude Mashin Gâru (Machine Girl)...

I recently watched Das Boot (1981), which is in German. Most of you have probably seen it - it's a great movie - the best submarine movie ever made. I found it cool that you could kind of understand a lot of what they were saying without the subtitles. Highly recommended.Another one was Let The Right One In (2008), which is in Swedish. It was good, but it wasn't as amazing as I'd heard.