rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

I got around to seeing too. I kind of hated it. There were some things that I enjoyed about it (like you said, the Titan attacks were awesome and the amount of violence and gore in it was awesome to see) but I felt they changed it for the worst. The characters are surprisingly unlikeable, the action scenes are mostly filmed in the dark which is really irritating since you can't always tell what's going on, and the changes they made from the manga really got under my skin.

I do speculate that the second part is going to be much better. Based on what I've seen so far that is.

The apple scene with Mikasa and Shikashima is beyond creepy. As well as the scene where Hiana tries to seduce Eren.

The Titan Eren is fighting in the preview for Part 2 looks like a cross between the Armoured Titan and the Female Titan. I'll admit it looks pretty bad-ass

*Shrugs* Fair enough. The characters being unlikeable didn't bother me too much, mainly because I was never the biggest fan of most of the characters in the original Attack on Titan (aside from a few notable exceptions). And I'm rarely one to be pissed off by changes to the source material unless I feel they're really really stupid. But I can see why others might feel different. I suppose the fact that I had zero expectations going into it helped.

Maybe the differences between the film and the anime/manga would explain the shitty legs in Japan

Most probably. Attack on Titan is fairly mainstream in Japan so it's not a great surprise that general audiences care more about changes to the source material than with something like Iron Man 3 (where comic fanboy whining about the Mandarin really didn't make that much of a difference to its final BO total.)

Rokka no Yuusha is KILLING it! Who knew crossing the whodunit genre with medieval fantasy could be this much fun? Also, amazing character development for the main lead couple. I hope Passione gets enough funds for Season 2 coz I need more of this + development for the other characters as well.

I usually can't stand anime but the Braves have broken me! :P 

• Like 1

Rokka no Yuusha is KILLING it! Who knew crossing the whodunit genre with medieval fantasy could be this much fun? Also, amazing character development for the main lead couple. I hope Passione gets enough funds for Season 2 coz I need more of this + development for the other characters as well.

I usually can't stand anime but the Braves have broken me! :P

There is a huge variety of anime, something for everyone. Just got to find what you like. I love a good story and anime does fantasy and science fiction with more freedom than live action.

As soon as he started saying the line you just knew it was going to end there <_<

So evil.

But I'm having the time of my life with this concept so I really don't care (and the theorizing points to one particular character being the culprit, though I could be wrong).

eXtacy, are there any other anime/manga that combine fantasy with the detective genre like Rokka?

So evil.

But I'm having the time of my life with this concept so I really don't care (and the theorizing points to one particular character being the culprit, though I could be wrong).

eXtacy, are there any other anime/manga that combine fantasy with the detective genre like Rokka?

If you want a fantasy mystery then you have to watch Shinsekai Yori. Its story is simply amazing. Such a well constructed world with great characters and a fantastic mystery vibe from start to finish. It has a big twist which is revealed on the final episode. Theres also Zetsuen no Tempest though this has a modern setting

http://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori

http://myanimelist.net/anime/14075/Zetsuen_no_Tempest

Some good mystery animes include Gosick which is at its heart a detective show with about several arcing stories. Also Ergo Proxy which is a science fiction post apocalyptic world with a lot of mystery. Hyouka, one of my favorite animes, about a group of high school kids who go around solving mysteries.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/8425/Gosick

http://myanimelist.net/anime/790/Ergo_Proxy

http://myanimelist.net/anime/12189/Hyouka

• Like 1

Updated seasonal rankings

1. Yuusha

2. Gate

3. Charlotte

4. Gangsta

5. Shimoneta

6. Snow White with the Red Hair

7. Ushio and Tora

8. Gakkou Gurashi

9. Prison School

10. Monster Musume

11. Ovelord

Season is coming to a close and as such this will probably be close to the final rankings. Snow White with the Red Hair has shot up a lot since last time. Gangsta is slowly falling with a weaker second half the season. Yuusha ended strongly and is definitely my favorite of the season.

1. Yuusha

2. Gate

3. Snow White with the Red Hair

4. Shimoneta

5. Charlotte

6. Gangsta

7. Ushio and Tora

8. Prison School

9. Gakkou Gurashi

10. Monster Musume

11. Ovelord

Rokka no Yuusha ended brilliantly, though the finale was slightly stuffed and they could have spread out some things (like the reveal of the Seventh), in the penultimate episode. Still some great fun and the concept continues to be exciting. Love the diverse roster of characters as well. Hope this new studio Passione manages to pull through and produce future seasons. Apparently the second volume of the LN is supposed to be even better.

Rokka no Yuusha ended brilliantly, though the finale was slightly stuffed and they could have spread out some things (like the reveal of the Seventh), in the penultimate episode. Still some great fun and the concept continues to be exciting. Love the diverse roster of characters as well. Hope this new studio Passione manages to pull through and produce future seasons. Apparently the second volume of the LN is supposed to be even better.

Unfortunately the sales of Rokka absolutely bombed in Japan so we definitely will not get a second season, you will have to read the light novels if your interested in the story further.

Looking ahead at fall we have a ton of highly popular sequels coming out which be headlining the season such as Noragami Aragoto, K Returning Kings, Owari no Seraph, Haikyuu, Garo Guren and the ever popular Owarimonogatari.

75627l.jpg76198l.jpg76146l.jpg

In terms of newcomers the most anticipated by a country mile is over the comedy-shounen One Punch Man about a guy who can take anyone in one punch. Its a over the top parody taking the piss of anime in general. I have a seen the first episode and its not my thing.

72533l.jpg

There are plenty interesting new shows coming. To begin with here's a couple of promising mystery shows A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet and the Perfect Insider.

76116l.jpg76071l.jpg

Gundam has a new entry entitled Iron Blooded Orphans and looks like it could be a return to form after recent failures for the franchise. It will have to compete with JC Staffs, who have been on a roll this year, Heavy Object which trailers looked great.

75879l.jpg75940l.jpgmj

Now finally the potential hidden gem of the season is Comet Lucifer whose visuals and story look absolutely unique. Seriously check out this trailer it looks lovely,

Edited by eXtacy

Eh. I don't know about Comet Lucifer. As a rule with anime, I tend to instinctually avoid series that start off with the MC discovering a 'mysterious but cute girl'. Maybe it'll be good, but I've got my doubts.

For me, the most interesting looking original series is Studio Bones's new contribution, Concrete Revolutio. I'll admit I'm naturally biased towards superhuman sort of stories, but that looks like the sort of premise that'll be fun.

I'll also probably check out the two mystery series since I have a soft spot for mysteries. Hopefully they'll be better than Ranpo Kitan. As for One Punch Man, I've read the manga and can definitely account for quality but I tend to have a mixed success rate when it comes to following series I've already read. Still, if Madhouse goes all out with the style, I can see it being a fantastic adaptation in its own right.

I'm also probably going to give the new Lupin and Black Jack series a go. I recently binged through the entire Black Jack manga and enjoyed it immensely. I'm not certain how well a prequel is going to work, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Aside from that, there's not much else that really grabs my interest. Most of the sequels are to shows I've not seen before and not many of the original shows appeal that much to me. Obviously if some of them start getting fantastic reviews, I'll give them a look, but until then I'm going to catch up on all the apparently great shows I didn't end up finishing last season. 

Here's the full list of autumn shows, for anyone interested.

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2015/tv

Not sure what I'm likely to watch next season, in the end I didn't actually watch anything that started during the summer season at all. Gutted that Food Wars has finished for now, I absolutely adored that first season, and it went out with another very funny episode. The only thing at the moment I know I'll be watching for certain for a while is probably Fairy Tail, bloody comfort food anime that is, even if they keep pulling Marvel's.

Not sure what I'm likely to watch next season, in the end I didn't actually watch anything that started during the summer season at all. Gutted that Food Wars has finished for now, I absolutely adored that first season, and it went out with another very funny episode. The only thing at the moment I know I'll be watching for certain for a while is probably Fairy Tail, bloody comfort food anime that is, even if they keep pulling Marvel's.

I'll admit I only follow the manga, but Fairy Tail is a terrible terrible series. Post 1st timeskip, it's almost comically inept.

I'll admit I only follow the manga, but Fairy Tail is a terrible terrible series. Post 1st timeskip, it's almost comically inept.

Only reason I started it was due to a bargain I made with a buddy. I watch 3 episodes of Fairy Tail in exchange for him watching 3 of Breaking Bad. To date he's only watched the pilot while I'm now addicted to Anime. I know Fairy Tail isn't exactly great, but it's enjoyable, and it'll always be the one that got me in to Anime as an adult.

Just finished this season. Here are the final rankings. Gangsta finished extremely poorly. Overlord picked up in its second half. The top four are the ones worth checking out in my opinion.

1. Yuusha

2. Gate

3. Snow White with the Red Hair

4. Shimoneta

----------------------------------------

5. Charlotte

6. Ushio and Tora

7. Prison School

8. Ovelord

9. Gangsta

10. Gakkou Gurashi

11. Monster Musume