rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

Alright guys most things have aired this season, I watched the debut episodes of about 16 shows and here what is worth the watch.

1. ERASED (or Boku dake ga Inai Machi)

Erased easily takes the cake as the must watch of the season. Its a supernatural thriller about a guy with a power which reverses time up to several minutes when a bad occurrence happens giving him the chance to correct it. When a serious event occurs in his life his power goes out of control and he is sent far back in time - presumably given a chance to get to the root of matter.

2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

The second is a period piece set back in edo Japan, maybe around the 1950's, about a guy getting released from prison. Inspired by a storyteller he seeks him to become his apprentice to begin his new life. This was a seriously good debut episode and a long one at that clocking in at 48 minutes. Its very different to your standard anime and will probably be the hidden gem of the season thanks to its niche premise, give it a try.

3. Dimension W

Now this is probably the most likely show to become mainstream. Its a science fiction action with an interesting premise and some great characters to debut. In a world where infinite energy has been obtained through the use coils which harness energy of the 4th (w) dimension we follow a repo-man responsible for collecting illegally possessed coils - since in the hands of wrong people infinite energy is bad (duh!).

Some others with shows that had solid debuts.

4. Grimgar of Fantasy (fantasy, adventure, drama)
5. Myriad Colors of the Phantom World (fantasy, comedy)
6. Prince of Stride (sport - parkour)
7. Dagashi Kashi (slice of life, comedy)

I just finished Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Its about a guy who gets his name and memory erased and gets trained by a girl named Phantom to become an assasin for a mafia group called Inferno. A very good anime if you love action in the vein of Black Lagoon. It has 26 episodes.

The soundtrack is really amazing too.

Updated first impressions for the Winter Season 2016

These two you should watch

1. Erased - An absolute must watch. This anime first three episodes have been flawless. Potential masterpiece

2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - One of more unique niche shows I have seen in anime. Watch for great characters and story in a realistic setting.

Promising

3. Ajin - Only One episode has aired on the TV series but I managed to see the movie which is about the first 5 episodes and it was great so stick around.

4. Dimension W - This looks to to be the light fun action show this season.

5. KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! - This is the comedy of the season. Great parody of its genre.

6. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - This has very slow pacing but in this case its not a bad thing.

• Like 1

Just watched Erased (the 3 episodes released yet). Really, really good. As @eXtacy said, its an absolute must-watch. The characters, the thrills, the unique story (especially to me since I have watched neither The girl who leapt through time nor Steins Gate), the pacing - its all perfect. The animation is good too. The show always keeps you wanting to see what's coming next. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes.

Erased is absolutely stunning, thrilling, and evocative!  The ambiance, the character development, the pacing, and the premise execution are all attributes the anime possesses.  Simply divine!  

Grimgal is slow to ease audiences into it's world of epic proportions.  Hopefully not another SAO clone.

Will watch Dimension W when all my papes are done but this season offers quite the extensive amount of formidable and worthy newcomers.  Immensely exciting!

I'll have to check out Erased, along with others Exactly mentioned. 

I just got done watching a show called (in the english version) From The New World, not really sure how I feel about it. People online had it down numerous for being most scary/disturbing, and so I figured I'd give it a shot. I think at times it did intrigued me, especially the beginning episodes as it definitely had that ominous feeling. However, I think the author's direction of the story at times just really made it hard to get into. It was like just when the thrills were there and I was scared for the characters, then poof! The story takes a safe turn in a complete opposite direction and it just left me bummed. And then it got somewhat weird in the middle, almost dropped the series entirely, but I managed to watch it and the last few episodes did turn okay. I guess it wasn't what I was expecting in my mind and so it left me feeling unsure of what I thought of it. I do like the adult themes presented to us such as war, politics, morals and ethics, some of which were really intriguing as it really questions the viewers of situations that have existed in our past and maybe even today.

But at the end of the day, it's still a let down since I didn't want an anime that just makes me thinks, I wanted one for thriller feels and scary chills, and this just didn't live up to what people were saying about it. I'd give this a 6/10. It's not something I'd rewatch probably.   

Other recent shows i saw were Death Parade and Food Wars. Death Parade I really liked! I love the games and how they manipulate the two people but at the same time are so irrelevant in retro respect. The characters I loved, really felt a connection with the main ones. It's a series were I wished there were 25-26 episodes rather than 11 or 12. I'd definitely rewatch this in the future. And the theme song in the beginning of this is badass! Gets stuck in my head all the time, but in the good way! 8/10 for me.

food wars is a nice break from the usual grim dark shows I watch, as its light heart (and at times sexual innuendo like) comedy. I got into and like it at first, lots of funny scenes and characters (I think this is my fav thing about it). However, the downside about is that it can be very repetitive, which is kind of obvious given its about food competition. I felt like it was on and on about how great this dish is and how great that one was. I'm not sure if I'd rewatch it again, maybe if a dubbed version was available I would. 6.5/10.

50 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

Other recent shows i saw were Death Parade and Food Wars. Death Parade I really liked! I love the games and how they manipulate the two people but at the same time are so irrelevant in retro respect. The characters I loved, really felt a connection with the main ones. It's a series were I wished there were 25-26 episodes rather than 11 or 12. I'd definitely rewatch this in the future. And the theme song in the beginning of this is badass! Gets stuck in my head all the time, but in the good way! 8/10 for me.

food wars is a nice break from the usual grim dark shows I watch, as its light heart (and at times sexual innuendo like) comedy. I got into and like it at first, lots of funny scenes and characters (I think this is my fav thing about it). However, the downside about is that it can be very repetitive, which is kind of obvious given its about food competition. I felt like it was on and on about how great this dish is and how great that one was. I'm not sure if I'd rewatch it again, maybe if a dubbed version was available I would. 6.5/10.

Food Wars is my absolute favourite show from last year by a considerable margin. I was in stitches constantly! 

5 hours ago, JohnnY said:

Food Wars was awesome, but the last few episodes about Autumn Selection got really tiresome because of all the dishes' explanations and reactions.

btw, is anyone following Haikyuu second season?

Yes I watch Haikyuu. Its one of my favorite anime's even though I generally hate sports genre.

On 1/30/2016 at 11:41 PM, K1stpierre said:

Yeah, I too thought Death Parade was really good. I think it really needs a second season and I want it.

Just finished all 2 season of Sword Art Online. The first season was very frustrating in the sense that has a plotline with a lot of potential for greatness that in the end gets wasted. I also did not liked how Asuna went from a badass character into a typical damisel in distress in the second half, the whole cousin relationship was unnecesary and way too many time jumps in the first half. The last two episodes really saved this for me.

The second season though, was a VAST improvement over season one. The whole Gun Gale Online storyline was very exciting, and Sinon was the best character of the series for me. Though the Excalibur thing was total filler, I really liked what came next (Mother`s Rosario) because not only redeemed Asuna`s character, but it also gave her more backstory and her relationship with Yuuki was very touching for me.

It has a lot of flaws but is still a very enjoyable anime.

• Like 1

I just finished The Melacholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in chronological order). Its about a High School girl who is a God but she doesn`t know she is a God and all her friend do everything they can to not let her know that because she could cause the end of the world. Its a weird trip worth watching. Kyons sarcastic narration is what made the show for me.

If only Kyoto Animation never had the balls of repeating the same motherfucking episode 8 fucking times (yes, I am talking about endless eight) my enjoyment would have been alot higher.

If you are gonna watch Haruhi, please just watch episodes 1,2 and 8 of the Endless Eight arc and skip 3-7. You are not gonna miss a thing.

I still have to watch the Disappearance movie.

19 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

I just finished The Melacholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in chronological order). Its about a High School girl who is a God but she doesn`t know she is a God and all her friend do everything they can to not let her know that because she could cause the end of the world. Its a weird trip worth watching. Kyons sarcastic narration is what made the show for me.

If only Kyoto Animation never had the balls of repeating the same motherfucking episode 8 fucking times (yes, I am talking about endless eight) my enjoyment would have been alot higher.

If you are gonna watch Haruhi, please just watch episodes 1,2 and 8 of the Endless Eight arc and skip 3-7. You are not gonna miss a thing.

I still have to watch the Disappearance movie.

What the fuck were they thinking with the endless eight. They effectively killed one of most popular series of the time doing that. Its actually one of the most retarded decisions I have seen for a TV show, should of been two episode arc max.

• Like 1