Plain Old Tele

BOF presents: The Top 20 Action Scenes Ever!

Bias aside, how can anyone have a problem with the final duel in Menace?  That's about as brilliant as they come.

Personally, it's not on my list because you can't take just the duel -- that's intercut with the other action stuff, which I don't find particularly memorable. Agreed that the actual duel is fantastic.

Personally, it's not on my list because you can't take just the duel -- that's intercut with the other action stuff, which I don't find particularly memorable. Agreed that the actual duel is fantastic.

I disagree with your assessment.  IMO, the duel stands alone as does any other action scene intercut within the story.  You're talking about a film technique.  It's the editor's job to make the film as good as possible and just because some scenes are cut with other plot pieces, imo, that shouldn't eliminate their relevance.  

I disagree with your assessment.  IMO, the duel stands alone as does any other action scene intercut within the story.  You're talking about a film technique.  It's the editor's job to make the film as good as possible and just because some scenes are cut with other plot pieces, imo, that shouldn't eliminate their relevance.  

I'm not saying it's eliminating their relevance, I'm saying that one of the basic rules (as listed in the first post), was you have to take any sequence as is. If the editors and director chose to intercut one scene with another, for the purposes of our poll, you have to take 'em all. It's as basic as saying "this section of the film, from Point A to Point B". The duel is essentially 3 (or more, I can't remember off the top of my head) fragments of scenes, combined with others. It's perfectly fine to say that the whole sequence (including the space battle and the castle assault) is worth it simply because the duel is so excellent, but you can't simply separate one from the other because then you're essentially recutting the film.

But anyway, it's sort of a moot point here because the duel is great and it's in the Top 10. ;)

• Like 1