baumer

Random Thoughts by the forum members (formerly 20 random thoughts)

Well I didnt say I dont like Before Midnight. I actually dont know if I like it since I havent seen it. I did see the first movie years ago.

My problem with movies that are full of dialogues is that it makes those movies a little hard to follow for me. Same way I dont really like novels with too many dialogues either.

• Like 1

I think it's ok disliking films with too much dialogue. There are good ones but basically, you have a story, and then you choose a medium to tell that story - stage play, radio drama, novel, poem, comic strip, movie ... and every medium has its pros and cons. So it's a perfectly valid question if it's a good idea to tell a dialogue-driven story in movie form.

Me, I think there are some good examples (it really depends on the actors and editing), but of course the real strength of cinematography lies in depicting motion or facial expressions, not two guys talking at each other.

• Like 2

Tele's 20 Things I Think I Think (hat-tip to Peter King):1. I wish more studios did lower-budget sci-fi/action stuff for theatrical release. I saw RIDDICK and didn't think it was that great, but it really showed how much you can pull off with a sub-40m budget these days, and I'm sorry we don't get more of them. 2. This is such a dead time of the year. Last year I remember dropping away from the forums completely because there was nothing that interested me. Then the SW news sucked me back in.3. GRAVITY tomorrow afternoon, bitches!4. I've been watching old movies on Netflix when I get the chance, and there are two things that strike me: their economy of storytelling and the way they don't feel studio-noted to death. They tell their story briskly (always less than 2 hours) and they feel unique, unlike pretty much everything today.5. KON-TIKI is a nifty little movie and I wish it had gotten more of a release here in the US. 6. What is Peter Jackson gonna do after THE HOBBIT and TINTIN? Is he actually gonna do something different?7. The famous Graumann's Chinese Theater is getting renovated and turned into an IMAX theater, and I'm really interested to see what it's like now. It re-opens next week (I think).8. I had a ton of fun playing Baumer's Summer Game -- a lot of times I realized that my first, gut-level instinct about a movie was right, and I wish I hadn't second-guessed myself (since usually I was wrong).9. I've known for awhile that the less I know about a movie I'm anticipating, the more I enjoy it. Now I'm starting to realize the less I know about its reception (and online discussion), the more enjoyable it is as well.10. I took a trip to Hawaii recently, and as much as I loved it, I don't think I could live in a place that didn't have an A-list theater within easy driving distance.11. You haven't seen true audience participation until you watch a movie with a two-year-old.12. Hopefully someone gives John McTiernan a chance to direct someone when he gets out of prison. He had a trifecta of movies that's one of the greatest back-to-back-to-back runs ever: Die Hard, Predator, and The Hunt for Red October. 13. With Hollywood being such a boys club (especially for genre stuff), I hope someone will give Michelle Maclaren a chance at some studio movies. She's been directing a ton of Breaking Bad episodes and doing a fantastic job.14. A co-worker just told me how he's peed not only next to Warren Beatty, but also Kevin Kline and Tom Cruise. Only in LA....15. If I see another orange/teal color-corrected movie, I might just blow my head off.16. I'm pretty much done with superhero films for now.17. I prefer sub-titled films to dubbed ones, but it gets damn annoying having to constantly glance at the bottom of the frame, especially in kung-fu or action films.18. I've been following Gareth Evans on Twitter and it really entertaining to slowly see a production come together on Twitter. 19. With all these promising young directors getting snatched up to direct tentpole sequels/prequels/remakes I have total respect for Neill Blomkamp avoiding all that and just doing his own stuff.20. TDKR has been on endless rotation on HBO and goddammit, I find it hilarious, awesome, and entertaining no matter how often I watch.

Okay I need 15 explained to me a bit

Okay I need 15 explained to me a bit

Posted Image

Look at the photography in terms of color. Every single frame is tainted in orange (sky, flesh) strongly contrasted with teal blue (backgrounds).

Sometimes it can be so much obvious, you only see that especially when 95% of poster sheets are based on that colorimetric opposition:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Thanks I guess it's something I never noticed. Is there a reason filmmakers do this?

The two colors are complimentary, so it makes the image "pop" a bit. It's not that's it's necessarily a bad thing to do, it's just that literally every movie does it these days -- it's become almost automatic. You push the shadows bluish and push the highlights warm, and there you go. Sometimes even the art direction will use those colors too -- so that everyone is actually wearing shades of blue and orange. The super-saturated Bayformer movies are a particularly glaring, annoying and obvious example, but once you're aware of it, you can see it almost everywhere.
  • Like 2

@colour-grading: As much as I like Jeunet's imagery, but "Micmacs" was completely overdone in that respect. It was tuned so hard towards yellow that the skies came out as a sickly green ...

It's only been about 15 years since digital color-grading become possible -- and, like any new tool, it got quite overused at first. (And still is, to some degree).

It's only been about 15 years since digital color-grading become possible -- and, like any new tool, it got quite overused at first. (And still is, to some degree).

yep, and it seems to me especially young filmmakers see it as a "to-do" process, as necessary as editing. it's just one of the tools you "have to use" to finish a film. When really it's just one possible tool. Like music (which often gets overdone too - yep, you can tell the story without music) or HDR photography or lensflares or every other tool.

Here's THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Note that not only do we have the orange/teal combo, but that Norton's face is un-naturally lit. There's no natural light source that would be providing illumination, and in fact his face is lit as if he were indoors. (Not that you have to hew to reality to light your scene, but it's particularly obvious and bizarre here.)

Posted Image

More examples:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1