baumer

The Wicker Man (2006)

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The remake gets a lock of criticism and I think a lot of it is because of Nicolas Cage.  He's the whipping boy in Hollywood right now perhaps because he takes every role offered to him or maybe because of his financial troubles or maybe both.  The Wicker Man remake would have gotten an A from me if it wasn't for the terrible performance from Cage in this film.  He can be really good when he is perhaps given better direction. Neil Lablute did a good job in much of the film except for getting a performance from Cage.  But that aside, the film (even though I'd seen the original) kept me entertained and I was genuinely unnerved as well.  I haven't seen the original in about ten years so I had forgotten some of the details.  I knew that his ex-girlfriend was in on it but I didn't know to the extent.

I'm a little shocked at the low overall scores for this movie. I thought it was suspenseful, shocking,and the acting was excellent, from everyone but Cage. Burstyn was pure evil. The whole concept of being trapped on an island with an isolated cult and their weird culture was ominous. The cellphone didn't work and there was no way to recharge it anyway. Cage confronted these weird people and slowly began to unravel. One shocking moment early on in the film takes your breath away and keeps it. This movie was intelligent, subtle, well-paced, and involving. I would recommend it. The original Wickerman, made some 30 years prior was better, and took a different take on the cultists. This one followed faithfully the key scenes from the original and was still very innovative. The end of the film is still one of the most riveting and shocking endings of any horror film and this is the one part of the film where Cage shined.  

I enjoyed the remake quite a bit and I'd see it again.

7.5/10 (would have been an 8.5 but I took a full point off because Cage really is bad in this for the most part

Edited by baumer

Then you must have thought the same about the original.

Never watched the original. But unless Edward Woodward can mug half as well as Nicholas Cage, I doubt it will reach the dizzying comedic heights of the remake. Besides, from what I hear, the manifestation of manliness, Sister Beech never appears in the original. And there's no cheesy animal costumes. And no Nicholas Cage on a girl's bike.

worst film i have ever seen. I found the beginning pretty interesting...the whole mystery on the island intrigued me and i was looking forward to him figuring it out....and than he died. like WTF just happened?! Never been that disappointed with an ending  of a film as this. Haven't seen the original...after seeing this though i couldn't care less about the original now.