baumer

Backdraft (1991)

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

the movie drags a bit and has some cheesy scenes but the fire sequences are amazing. It looks so real. The FX hold up. Pretty scary as well, you can almost feel the heat and claustrophobia. Also can't go wrong with Kurt Russell or Scott Glenn. And Donald Sutherland is great in his small role. Hans Zimmer's score is fantastic as well. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

God, I loved this movie went it came out. Saw it 4-5 times in theaters, I think, and I dragged random people who normally wouldn't have seen it at all. Corny and shameless as all get-out, but damn, it works, and such a great cast too.As a side note, I think this is the movie that made me notice Hans Zimmer as a composer. I wore out this score on the tape deck in my truck.

• Like 1

one thing that bothered me though is the unnecessary R rating.  I wondered is why they decided to add a bunch of profanity and brief nudity to get an R rating. I don't see why a movie about the heroics of firemen should be rated R. Probably would have been a bigger  hit 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Really good movie with a helluva cast and deNiro not clowning around. I have to disagree on the score though, seemed much too foreground and trite for my taste (very often with Zimmer). If compared to, say, Rush, were it was much more restrained. Another weak point in this movie (for me) was William Baldwin whose concerned looks fit many but not every scene in there.

Otherwise, very intense despite the slow pace, and the fire scenes are done incredibly well even if sometimes we're left scratching our heads when they walk through explosions left&right and poisonous clouds without problems :). And Kurt Russell does a very believable asshole brother, he's more versatile than you'd think.