baumer

Hiroshima, Mon Amour (1959)

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

a rather opaque romance movie. much to digest here, but partly seems to be about the human tendency to concoct special meaning between disparate events, people and places. in particular, the cities of nevers and hiroshima and the two men she loves within them are interrelated only from her subjective perspective. a fascinating watch.

B+ (75)

Rich, fascinating and gorgeous-looking, but I didn't particularly connect with it emotionally save for a few moments. Riva does almost all of the heavy lifting while the main male character hardly left any impression on me. There were times when just the flow of images worked so beautifully that I felt distracted by the narration and almost wished it hadn't been there, even though it presents a lot of the themes in the film.

Definitely a film to watch more than once. Not going to grade it yet, but it's an essential viewing for sure.

Edited by Jake Gittes