The Stingray

BOF Top 25 TV Shows of All Time!

And here we go (Joker voice)! I'll start slowly.

#25:

24 (2001 - 2010) - 18 points

Posted Image

24 is an American television series produced for the Fox network and syndicated worldwide, starring Kiefer Sutherland as Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) agent Jack Bauer. Each 24-episode season covers 24 hours in the life of Bauer, using the real time method of narration. A typical plot has Bauer racing against the clock as he attempts to thwart multiple terrorist plots, including presidential assassination attempts, weapons of mass destruction detonations, cyber attacks, as well as conspiracies which deal with government and corporate corruption.

20 Emmy Awards (including 1 for Outstanding Drama Series)
2 Golden Globes (including 1 for Best Drama Series)
  • Like 5

#25:

24 (2001 - 2010) - 18 points

A typical plot has Bauer racing against the clock as he attempts to thwart multiple terrorist plots, including presidential assassination attempts, weapons of mass destruction detonations, cyber attacks, as well as conspiracies which deal with government and corporate corruption.

And in at least half of the seasons the villains turn out to be rich white corporate people stirring up shit to make money.

• Like 2

#24:

All in the Family (1971 - 1979) - 18 points (more top-3 finishes than 24)

Posted Image

All in the Family is an American sitcom that was originally broadcast on the CBS television network from January 12, 1971, to April 8, 1979. All in the Family revolved around the life of a working class bigot and his family. Despite being considerably softer in its approach than its BBC predecessor, the show broke ground in its depiction of issues previously considered unsuitable for U.S. network television comedy, such as racism, homosexuality, women's liberation, rape, miscarriage, abortion, breast cancer, the Vietnam War, menopause, and impotence. Through depicting these controversial issues, the series became arguably one of television's most influential comedic programs, as it injected the sitcom format with real-life conflicts.

22 Emmy Awards (including 4 for Outstanding Comedy Series)
8 Golden Globes (including 4 for Best Television Series - Comedy or Musical)
  • Like 3

#22:

The Muppet Show (1976 - 1981) - 19 points (tied with Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Posted Image

The Muppet Show is a comedy-variety television series that was produced by puppeteer Jim Henson and features The Muppets (a group of puppet characters known for an absurdist, burlesque and self-referential style of variety-sketch comedy). The series shows a vaudeville or music hall-style song-and-dance variety show, as well as glimpses behind the scenes of such a show. Kermit the Frog stars as a showrunner who tries to keep control of the antics of the other Muppet characters (and his temper), as well as keep the guest stars happy. The show was known for outrageous physical slapstick, sometimes absurdist comedy, and humorous parodies. Each episode also featured a human guest star. As the show's popularity rose, many celebrities were eager to perform with the Muppets on television and in film.

4 Emmy Awards (including 1 for Outstanding Variety Series)

#22:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997 - 2003) - 19 points (tied with The Muppet Show)

Posted Image

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an American television that follows Buffy Summers (played by Sarah Michelle Gellar), the latest in a line of young women known as "Vampire Slayers" or simply "Slayers". In the story, Slayers are "called" (chosen by fate) to battle against vampires, demons, and other forces of darkness.

2 Emmy Awards

• Like 5

#20:

Gilmore Girls (2000 - 2007) - 20 points

Posted Image

Gilmore Girls is an American comedy-drama series created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, starring Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel. The show follows single mother Lorelai Gilmore (Graham) and her daughter, living in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. Ambition, education, and work constitute part of the series' central concerns, telling Lorelai's story from pregnant teen runaway and high school dropout to co-owner and manager of the Dragonfly Inn. Gilmore Girls is known for its fast-paced dialogue filled with pop-culture references.

1 Emmy Award
  • Like 2

#21:

Firefly (2002) - 19 points (more top-3 finishes than Buffy the Vampire Slayer & The Muppet Show)

Posted Image

Firefly is an American space western drama television series created by writer and director Joss Whedon. The series is set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star system, and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters who live on Serenity. Whedon pitched the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things".

1 Emmy Award
  • Like 1

All in the Family was out when I was a little too young to understand all the socio-political issues it covered.  I liked it because Archie called Mike, Meathead and because Archie stuck his tongue out a lot.....and Edith had a funny voice.  

• Like 2

The second and final tie.

#18:

The Walking Dead (2010 - ) - 22 points (tied with How I Met Your Mother)

Posted Image

The Walking Dead is an American horror drama television series developed by Frank Darabont. It is based on the comic book series of the same name by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Charlie Adlard. The series stars Andrew Lincoln as sheriff's deputy Rick Grimes, who awakens from a coma to find a post-apocalyptic world dominated by flesh-eating zombies. He sets out to find his family and encounters many other survivors along the way.

2 Emmy Awards

#18:

How I Met Your Mother (2005 - ) - 22 points (tied with The Walking Dead)

Posted Image

How I Met Your Mother (often abbreviated to HIMYM) is an American sitcom that premiered on CBS on September 19, 2005. The series follows the main character, Ted Mosby, and his group of friends in Manhattan. As a framing device, Ted, in the year 2030, recounts to his son and daughter the events that led to his meeting their mother.

9 Emmy Awards

• Like 2

All in the Family was out when I was a little too young to understand all the socio-political issues it covered. I liked it because Archie called Mike, Meathead and because Archie stuck his tongue out a lot.....and Edith had a funny voice.

There's a woman ego talks like Edith here at work. It's hilarious. But I came to appreciate the show a ton more when I got older
  • Like 1