iceroll

Queen Nikki to leave Deadline Hollywood and start nikkifinke.com

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/nikki-finke-is-trying-to-finally-leave-deadline-jay-penske

Penske Media Corp. bought Deadline Hollywood in 2009, and the site expanded to a staff of writers who, along with Finke, regularly break news. But when Penske bought Variety last year, shutting Finke out and becoming the owner of a direct competitor, the two began to clash. In June, The Wrap wrote that Penske had fired Finke. The feuding has continued sporadically since.

Finke now says she has an offer for more than $5 million from a company she wouldn’t name to start nikkifinke.com. “All I have to do is start writing.”

Dang, 5 million for Nikki?

• Like 2

I wouldn't call $5 mill crashing and burning.  How is she even commanding this kind of pay?  I doubt many people even know her outside of the box office community.

Presumably the money would be coming from somebody who wants to be a competitor to Variety/THR and/or TMZ. It's not a $5m paycheck for her, it's funds to build the site, staff it, get it up and running for some appreciable period of time, etc (and yes, some chunk would go to her). I don't put any faith in what she says, though.

• Like 2

Nikki Finke @NikkiFinke 20m

NIKKI FINKE LOCKED OUT OF DEADLINE http://dlvr.it/4CDY5q 

Expand Collapse

[*]

I have been locked out of the Deadline Hollywood website which I founded 7 1/2 years ago. Jay Penske gave the order. Not even the staff knew