The Way Back (2010)

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A really good movie. The beginning and the ending are quite good, but it kinda fails in the middle because they had to take the most boring place in the world: the desert, and drag the movie around 40-60 minutes in it. Just them walking, collapsing, walking again, talking, finding some water, walking, death, walking, collapsing, talk. I was disappointed that the director/script writer chose to make the desert the part where it drags on when they could've done that for the Himalaya's, where it looked way more interesting. The ending is simply beautifully done, with the cinematography and music killing it.It was a good movie, but the desert part simply ruined it.

B+

Didn't expect this movie to stick with me so much. I thought I'd forget it the next day, but damn... I still cannot get over how beautiful the ending was. I'm a sucker for good cinematography + great soundtrack and good setting.

Raising to A-. Might actually re-watch it pretty soon.

Can anyone recommend me Survival movies that are similar to this one? I'm working on something.

Edited by ChD

Didn't expect this movie to stick with me so much. I thought I'd forget it the next day, but damn... I still cannot get over how beautiful the ending was. I'm a sucker for good cinematography + great soundtrack and good setting.

Raising to A-. Might actually re-watch it pretty soon.

Can anyone recommend me Survival movies that are similar to this one? I'm working on something.

Hmm, here's some good survival/wilderness movies that share some qualities with TWB (you've probably already seen most of them, though):

- The Grey (oil-rig workers crash in Alaska, have to try to hike back to civilization while being pursued by wolves)

- Rescue Dawn (POW escapes from Viet Nam prison camp, survives in the jungle while trying to get to friendly territory)

- Kon Tiki (less survival, more adventure; Norwegian enthnographer Thor Heyerdahl decides to try and sail across the Pacific in a balsa raft to prove Polynesia was settled by South American Indians)

- Runaway Train (2 convicts escape from a high-security prison in Alaska, only to discover the train they've hitched a ride on is out-of-control and sure to crash)

- Cast Away (Tom Hanks and a volleyball stranded on an island)

- 127 Hours (James Franco stuck in a rock)

- Life of Pi (Indian kid stranded in the Pacific on a lifeboat with a tiger)

- All is Lost (Robert Redford stranded in the ocean after his sailboat sinks)

Edited by Telemachos