Filmovie

Thursday numbers (page 2) and Bad GrandPa - 1,4 mln MIDNIGHT

Based on early Friday numbers, the R-rated film is pacing to open in the $10 million range, a major disappointment considering Scott's pedigree and stars Michael Fassbender, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Javier Bardem and Brad Pitt.

Not really. That's what it was expected to open to.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Based on early Friday numbers, the R-rated film is pacing to open in the $10 million range, a major disappointment considering Scott's pedigree and stars Michael Fassbender, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Javier Bardem and Brad Pitt.

It was one of the worst marketed movies of recent memory...I must have seen about 3-4 trailers for it in the theater and countless tv spots and still had no idea what the hell it was about. Terribly cut trailers and marketing.

It was one of the worst marketed movies of recent memory...I must have seen about 3-4 trailers for it in the theater and countless tv spots and still had no idea what the hell it was about. Terribly cut trailers and marketing.

Have you seen the reviews? Even people who've watched the whole thing aren't sure what they just saw or what the hell it's really about, either. So the studio did the thing where they sell the movie in a way that will get at least some people to show up at first and make the money they can before word of mouth slaughters it. If you have an incomprehensible movie that's going to be extremely polarizing and not gain much awards traction, you might as well try salvaging the opening weekend by fooling audiences into thinking it's a sexy, stylish thriller, as long as you can. Not that the bait-and-switch is right ethically, but studios are businesses and I can see why they do it. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica