Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

8 minutes ago, Black Hawk said:

They went the complete opposite direction from the previous trailer. Not so much as a joke to be seen in this one apart from the end of the trailer. The marketing team seems to be lost on whether to sell it as an action/adventure romp (the first trailer) or a deadly serious space drama (this one). Here's hoping the movie pulls off the tonal shifts required well.

By the looks of it, the first trailer was pretty much "sabotage" for the entire campaign.

I don't see a huge tonal shift, honestly. Sure, here they're selling more character drama, but there's plenty of action in the trailer, and it fits basically what we saw in the first. If anything, it feels like there's solid connective tissue with the first movie (which is a plus, IMO).

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I don't see a huge tonal shift, honestly. Sure, here they're selling more character drama, but there's plenty of action in the trailer, and it fits basically what we saw in the first.

People just lost their shit because of the use of the music without watching the footage.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

People just lost their shit because of the use of the music without watching the footage.

That first teaser was awful. it would've been fine for a little web promo, or like a brief Nokia promo after the main marketing campaign had already started.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

This has to be over STID's budget right? Doesn't seem like the best idea honestly..

Maybe a bit under I would say but I am happy the scale is bigger than I originaly thought.

Lin has a signature shot now !

It looks like a big budget episode of a OG Star Trek episode.  I'm not against that.  It needs to be fun...but Lin does fun.  So...ok.  Funny how I want OG Star Trek ish...yet, this is kinda that...and...I'm kinda like ok.  Yet...Ill probably like it.  I mean, old school Star Trek...is kinda like this.  I think.  I don't know.

Seriously I don't know.  But I didn't hate it like the last one.  I mean, I'm watching it.  Of course I'm watching it.  I liked fucking Insurrection, and this looks way better.  So of course.

• Like 3

The IMAX schedule for the rest of summer is packed

- Alice next weekend for 2 weeks (TMNT and Warcraft are actually taking IMAX screens from Alice within 1 week OS)

- Warcraft for 2 weeks

- Independence Day 2 for 1 week

- Tarzan for 2 weeks

- Ghostbusters for 1 week

- Star Trek Beyond for 2 weeks

- Suicide Squad through the end of summer

Suicide Squad will be the first movie this year, and the first since TFA, to get a longer than 3 week run at IMAX theaters

• Like 4

IMO, this movie has the hardest release date this summer and needs marketing to carry it through OW for sure. It is the only movie in July facing decent competition on OW post the 4th of July frame. Ice Age has its regular audience and is good for 35-45M OW and Lights Out looks like it could be a mini horror breakout. Ghostbusters is coming into an empty marketplace and it has Bourne just a week later and Suicide Squad 2 weeks later, the movie needs to be on point to ensure it can have a good run into late summer.

• Like 1