Dementeleus

Blockbuster is finally dead

dont know about the hate 

i have a blockbuster membership card from when i was in england,it was cool 

i binged through a lot of johnny depp more obscure films i hadnt seen yet

i rented irreversible (very upsetting movie by the way)

never had any problems i liked browsing around the place looking for a movie or paying late fees as it was just at the end of high street in the small town outside birmingham i lived in 

ps; this was also where i discovered public libraries rented dvd , that's how i got into 24 i rented the 2nd season and then just had to catch up like crazy 

guess my card is a relic now , that was like 2003 i think also last time i rented a dvd 

this is a case of internet killed the video store star

I don't really care now as Netflix and the vast variety of films in their library is more than I could ask for, but when it comes down to it Blockbuster is the sole reason for its own demise.

Charging 4.99 for new releases with the brutal late fees on top of that really paved the way for services like Netflix and Redbox to take the whole market.  Who in their right mind would pay $4.99 to rent a new release now when you have Netflix and Redbox?  Netflix and Redbox were legitimate corporate responses to the Blockbuster business structure.

the place I almost always rented from when I was younger (Family Video) is still around so if I want to relive childhood memories I can go there anytime. Lol

also, I never go to video stores anyway. My local library allows you to check out DVDs/Blu Rays for free for a week and new movies for just a 2 dollar fee. In just a few months those new movies will soon become free. 

Edited by John Marston

My family never really had a relationship with Blockbuster. We had 1 Blockbuster in our area that was about 20 - 25 minutes away but we had a Hollywood Video in the grocery store plaza that was 10 minutes away. In that same grocery store around 2000 they actually put in a Blockbuster store in the grocery store. That went out of business about 2 years later. Hollywood Video lasted till about 07/08. Hollywood was the last video store in town till they put in a Family Video in town. Their still doing some good business and I go there from time to time. 

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum