chasmmi

The Top 100 Movie Characters - Results (Results are in)

I love Ice Age, but Scrat has absolutely no business being on this list. He's a squirrel who wants an acorn. That is the full extent of his character. Scrat has nothing compared to the hundreds of classic characters who missed out on this list.

• Like 2

Says the guy whose favorite movie is Wallace and Gromit.BTW, I was the one who asked for Wallace and Gromit to be in the review section.

Except, I gave a long and detailed explanation as to why W&G is my favourite, a lot of which was admitting a large amount of my love was due to nostalgia.

You've yet to do the same with any of your favourites.

I am not about to go all English teacher on why Signs is my favorite movie.

You don't have to go full English teacher, you just have to gives us reasons you love the film so much which aren't variations of '<insert trait here> is great!'

2: Darth Vader – James Earl Jones, Star Wars Episode 4-6

(171pts and 10 votes)

So your favourite villain (come is anybody still in the dark about who is in first place by now? DO I really need to make sure I don’t give you too many clues? If you are you really need to just give up on life [spoiler ALERT! It’s Indiana Jones] is the grand Nemesis of the Star Wars universe and lil’ Luke’s daddy: Darth Vader. Speaking through a respirator that can give Bane hope that one day his voice will be cypherable by the human ear, James Earl Jones lends the voice talent to the role and his tone is the right level of menacing for a G rated film to feel ominous without scarring the small kids that may be watching. The Emperor may have technically been the mastermind behind everything, but Vader was certainly the villain most vile and the speaker of the most famous plot twist line of all time.

Darth Vader rounds off a very strong showing for the Star Wars folks, X in the top 10, X in the top 20, and X in the full 100. The strong Star Wars surge in the top 10 managed to beat off Marvel for the best-represented franchise on the list. Just to show how dominant the franchise was, let’s allow the top few to face off head to head below:

Star Wars

Darth Vader: 2nd, Han Solo: 6th, Luke Skywalker: 7th, Yoda: 9th, Obi Won Kenobi (Guinness): 21st, Emperor Palpatine: 48th, Princess Leia: 50th, R2D2: 76th, Chewbacca: 132nd, Obi Won Kenobi (McGregor): 159th, Darth Maul: 200th, C3PO: 253rd

Marvel (Comic not Studio)

Iron Man: 12th, Wolverine: 37th, Captain America: 42rd, Thor: 59th, Magneto (Ian): 65th, Spiderman (Maguire): 93rd, Loki: 100th, Hulk: 101st, Nick Fury 125th, Professor Xavier (Pat): 127th, Magneto (Fass): 134th, Spiderman (Garfield): 153rd, Professor Xavier (James): 159th, Black Widow: 251st, Gwen Stacy: 269th, Marie/Rouge: 280th, Bobby Drake: 306th, Norman Osborne: 357th, Mystique (JLaw): 441st, Storm: 460th, Sebastian Shaw: 541st

Pixar

Wall E: 18th, Woody: 27th, Buzz Lightyear: 43rd, Remy: 92nd, Mike: 110th, Rex: 147th, Ham: 169th, Slinky Dog: 226th, Sully: 229th, Jesse: 240th, Mr. Incredible: 242nd, Eve: 263rd, Dory: 319th, Doug: 322nd, Elastagirl: 398th, Marlin: 437th, Boo: 481st, Dash Parr: 494th, Violet Parr: 553rd,

Disney Animation  

Genie: 66th, Mulan: 91st, Scar: 106th, Simba: 112th, Baloo: 136th, Sebastian: 150th, Peter Pan: 175th, Aladdin: 190th, Belle: 195th, Fix-it Felix: 202nd,  Kronk: 212nd, Lumiere: 214th, Robin Hood: 225th, Yzma: 233rd, Beast: 234th, Pinocchio: 244th, Flynn Rider: 266th, Jiminy Cricket: 277th, Ariel: 298th, Captain Hook: 310th, Gaston: 330th, Timon: 362nd, Pumba: 363rd, Tinkerbell: 369th, Mufasa: 440th, Cinderella: 489th, Cruella De Vil: 491st, Little John: 521st, Pongo: 530th, Snow White: 544th, Timothy Q Mouse: 549th, Ursula: 552nd,

LOTR

Gandalf: 32nd, Gollum: 36th, Aragorn: 50th, Merry: 124th, Pippin: 126th, Bilbo (Freeman): 137th, Sam: 148th, Frodo: 239th, Saruman: 366th, Faramir: 402nd, Legolas: 427th, Arwen: 475th, Boromir: 482nd, Eawyn: 498th, Eomer: 502nd

DC  

The Joker (Ledger): 4th, Batman: 28th, Superman (Reeves): 44th, The Joker (Jack): 62nd, Bane: 70th, Superman (Cavil): 81st, Lex Luthor (Hackman): 143rd, Alfred (Caine): 163rd, Catwoman (Pfeiffer): 178th, Batman (Keaton): 194th, General Zod (Stamp): 332nd, Lex Luther (Spacey): 429th, Superman (Routh): 460th, The Riddler: 547th,

It seems like The Walt Disney Company has lots of popular characters.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

I usually don't get too excited about the results to these votes because after running a few of them, I know how they work. I am more impressed by the amount of work that the people running them go through to present the results. Chasmmi did a wonderful job. However, some of the character that made the list and some that missed it are surprising.

When I think of a top character, I think of a character that is easily recognizable and very famous. Some of the characters that made the list are surprising because I don't think of them like that. Some that I was shocked at seeing are:

- Gollum -that's a top character?

- Katniss Everdeen- altho Hunger Games is popular on this forum, so maybe it's not surprising

- Aragorn

- Ian Malcolm -I always think of the Dinosaurs as being the main draws in Jurassic Park

- Rose Dewitt- a great character?

- Jack Dawson- not a great character

- The Bride in Kill Bill - really?

- John Coffey- you have to be kidding me.

- Scrat- not a famous character. I didn't know who that character was

- Catherine Tramell- really known for one famous scene, not a top character

- HAL 9000- I just never would have thought of that as a character, but I guess it fits

- Gru- maybe he is. I just can think of more famous characters.

- Bane- that has to be a joke. Jim Carey's Riddler and Danny DeVito's Penguin were better, and neither cracked my list.

- Gromit- shouldn't be anywhere near this list

- Superman played by Cavil - not a great character. Not a great Superman.

Since I just named a bunch of characters that I am shocked made the list, let me name the ones that I am shocked that they didn't make the list:

Tinkerbell - Tinkerbell is one of the most famous characters ever. Tinkerbell is everywhere. Every one reading this knows who Tinkerbell is. She is more famous than Gru or Scrat or Donkey.

Vivian (Juia Roberts, Pretty Woman) - A better character than the The Bride in Kill Bill. Probably one of the top 10-20 female characters of all-time.

Robocop -I am only surprised b/c he used to be a big deal. And that doesn't bode well for the new Robocop remake coming out, which will be sold on the characters previous fame.

Maverick (Tom Cruise, Top Gun)

Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita, The Karate Kid) -maybe not as popular internationally might be the reason

William Munny (Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven) - really shocked he wasn't there

General Zod (Terrance Stamp, Superman) - if an average villain like Tom Hardy's Bane can make the list, then Stamp's superior Zod should have certainly made the list.

Dr. Evil (Mike Myers, Austin Powers)

Jiminy Crickett (Pinocchio) -another universally well known character

Austin Powers (Mike Myers, Austin Powers)

There were more that I wanted to make the list, but I can understand the arguments for the ones that did make the list that I didn't mention above. There is a case to be made for those characters. I just can't understand how the ones mentioned above made the list and how the ones that I mentioned after did not make the list.

Overall though, it was a great list. Out of 100 characters, only 15 left me scratching my head.

• Like 1