Plain Old Tele

Evil Dead II (1987)

Evil Dead II (1987)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Surprisingly, I prefer the original, simply because of how focused it is. The restraint serves it really well. The fact it is more horror and atmospheric helped I think, with just the right, subtle hints of comedy.

Evil Dead II wants to be both horrifying and hilarious at the same time, and I'm not sure I was fully on board with that. Don't get me wrong though, it does work, to an extent.

Ash struggling with his evil hand was a glorious scene, I wish the rest of the movie was on this level! I was in stitches, so much awesome condensed in a few minutes! Bruce Campbell really channeled the body language and physical comedy necessary to perform in this, I thought he was fantastic. 

I believe this movie took everything about the first one and dialed it up to 11, for better or for worse. It's more of everything, and more intense. If that's your thing, don't worry, you're gonna love this movie. ;)

But I definitely preferred the paranoiac atmosphere and focus of the first movie.

Loved how Ash goes through yet a second night of twisted shit. The ending was top-notch. Not sure when I'm gonna watch Army of Darkness, but I'm definitely eager to see it!

Overall, this is a good sequel that expands upon the original in lots of imaginative (and gory) ways, but failed to capture its predecessor's true strengths, in my opinion.

My rating: ★★★½

Note: I watched this movie at the age of 5 back then, over 20 years ago. Wasn't a good idea. Glad I reconciled with it now :) Some shots were still ingrained in my mind.

55 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

@baumer have you reviewed this movie somewhere? I'd be curious to see what you think!

It's good but not quite my tempo. I like the pure horror of the original. The comedy in this isn't quite for me.

• Like 1