Films

Top 25 animations post 2000 RESULTS- 2. TOY STORY 3

In the high 90s the exact percentage hardly matters.

It still means that more critics like those films than Spirited Away. A better comparison would be actual score, which btw, is very hard to move by even .1! So the fact that Toy Story 1 has a 9.0 rating and Spirited Away an 8.5 is very significant.

It still means that more critics like those films than Spirited Away. A better comparison would be actual score, which btw, is very hard to move by even .1! So the fact that Toy Story 1 has a 9.0 rating and Spirited Away an 8.5 is very significant.

Toy Story also only has 77 reviews, and from the top critics has an 8.6, Spirited Away has 158 reviews (and a 100% from Top Critics) and a top critic average rating of 8.7.  Plus, Toy Story has the advantage classic films from before RT was around have in that many of the reviews written were years after its release meaning they are more likely to be higher as they are mostly nostalgia reviews (which let's face it, when looking back fondly, are pretty much always spun higher than a normal review).

A better comparison would be Toy Story 2 (which still has a little but not complete nostalgia review bias that the original had) which has 8.6 all critics and 8.2 top critics (so again, pretty much evenly matched at that level, especially with an equal amount of reviews), and Toy Story 3 which is 8.8 all critics and 8.5 top critics.  If you got technical the top critics like Spirited Away more than the Toy Story 2 and 3, and the overall critics liked Toy Story 3 better than Spirited Away but found Toy Story 2 to be about on par with it.  Toy Story classic needs the reviews that were the initial reactions in order to be fairly compared.

Don't get me wrong though, the scores are very close and at that level it is pretty much a matter of preference because the scores are so close.

EDIT:

I saw a mention of Up and Finding Nemo, Up is at an 8.6 and an 8.2, Spirited Away is at an 8.5 and an 8.7, you average it Spirited Away barely comes out on top.  So again, it's so close it's pretty much a matter of preference.

Finding Nemo has an 8.6 and an 8.6, so again Top Critics barely prefer Spirited Away and overall critics barely prefer Nemo (Nemo has some nostalgia reviews though due to the re-release).  So again, it's pretty much a matter of preference because of how close those scores are.

Then you can also look at Metacritic

Spirited Away: 94

Toy Story 3: 92

Toy Story 2: 88

Toy Story: 92

Up: 88

Finding Nemo: 90

And Spirited Away has a higher score than all of the Pixar films

The only Pixar film with a score equal to Spirited Away on Metacritic is Wall-E with a 94, and then Ratatouille has a 96 (which beats spirited away but then Spirited Away beats Ratatouille on and Wall-E on Rotten Tomatoes in both Top and Overall Critics).

You can't justifiably claim that any of those movies were overall better reviewed than Spirited Away because the reviews have minor difference in how glowing they are, especially when you take Top Critics into consideration, and then if you look at Metacritic Spirited Away again beats all of the films mentioned.  They are so close that these in depth comparisons are pretty much pointless. (I just made an overall in depth comparison because people were trying to make it look like Spirited Away wasn't close to as glowingly reviewed as the Pixar Golden Age films)

Edited by The Panda

I wasn't trying to make Spirited Away seem less glorious than other Golden Age Pixar films. On the opposite, I feel like too many people think that Spirited Away is the best animated film out there and that Pixar doesn't stand a chance against Ghibli when some Pixar films have clearly been liked by more critics OVERALL and then we have Ratatoullie ranked higher than it on Metacrirc. On the very least, Pixar IS a completion for Spirited Away or any other Ghibli movie.In essence, no one should underestimate Pixar. Congratulations to that wonderful studio for winning this list.

In essence, no one should underestimate Pixar. Congratulations to that wonderful studio for winning this list.

I seriously don't think anybody was seriously not expecting Pixar to win most of the places on this list, deservedly or not. I admit I think they're pretty overrated (if only because of how much fans hype their stuff), but they do some good stuff.

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to make Spirited Away seem less glorious than other Golden Age Pixar films. On the opposite, I feel like too many people think that Spirited Away is the best animated film out there and that Pixar doesn't stand a chance against Ghibli when some Pixar films have clearly been liked by more critics OVERALL and then we have Ratatoullie ranked higher than it on Metacrirc. On the very least, Pixar IS a completion for Spirited Away or any other Ghibli movie.In essence, no one should underestimate Pixar. Congratulations to that wonderful studio for winning this list.

From what I see too many people hype up Pixar's golden age films as if they're all masterpieces that can't be touched.  Again what I said, you can't truly say the Pixar films are better liked overall than Spirited Away by most critics, because just look at film critic awards, the best reviewed film of the year doesn't always win.  Pixar films are a lot like pepperoni pizza in that they're universally liked but not necessarily everybody's favorite, that's why they get ranked so high.  Studio Ghibli films just from being a more anime style are little off-putting to some critics, but are seen as higher quality by the people that actually like them (and that group has grown pretty large).

I don't think anybody underestimates Pixar, in fact I think people overestimate them to much, like last year when Brave won the Academy Award for pretty much being a Pixar film that didn't suck (unlike the year before with Cars 2).  They make good movies (some of them great, I put many of them at the upper parts of my list), but many of them are way overhyped by their devote fans, and I don't find nearly as much depth in Pixar's film as I do in the better Ghibli films.

• Like 2

Actually, I've been noticing a lot of Pixar hate on the internet recently, mostly from anime addicts who think that Pixar produces childish movies. Maybe it's part of the hipster revolution, where different is good -_-...Tbh, and not trying to start another debate here haha, but I think the Disney Classics are the best. They're the only ones I can watch a 1000 times and feel the same magic I did when I first watched them. Pixar and Ghibli partly owe their existence one way or another to Walt Disney anyway. I don't know how you folks feel about Disney. I know the anime fans like adult themes better. I personally try to enjoy movies and not take myself too seriously.

Edited by lolifofo
  • Like 1

If I were to vote on this list, and I didn't, Pixar would not make any of my top 25.  I don't know what it is about them but their films do not resonate with me at all.

Actually, I've been noticing a lot of Pixar hate on the internet recently, mostly from anime addicts who think that Pixar produces childish movies. Maybe it's part of the hipster revolution, where different is good -_-...Tbh, and not trying to start another debate here haha, but I think the Disney Classics are the best. They're the only ones I can watch a 1000 times and feel the same magic I did when I first watched them. Pixar and Ghibli partly owe their existence one way or another to Walt Disney anyway. I don't know how you folks feel about Disney. I know the anime fans like adult themes better. I personally try to enjoy movies and not take myself too seriously.

I'm not a Pixar hater, nor am I an anime addict (the only anime I think i've even watched are the Ghibli films, which hardly count), I agree in that Classic Disney tends to be my favorite. 

And Pixar has not been getting internet hate at all, it's just starting to get a minor backlash because their latest movies have been medicore, and they're still winning awards and getting praised for mediocrity (Brave is the most prime example of this).  Also, their announcement of doing a lot more sequels gets people like me (who honestly would take a good original film over a sequel any day; even though there are some sequels I get on board with because I think there is still more they can do with the storyline, universe, or concept) kind of mad, especially when they're making a sequel to Nemo of all movies. 

I'm a fan of Pixar, but they are going downhill fast, my only hope for them currently is Inside Out.

• Like 1

Actually, I've been noticing a lot of Pixar hate on the internet recently, mostly from anime addicts who think that Pixar produces childish movies. Maybe it's part of the hipster revolution, where different is good -_-...

Uh.... I am an anime addict who frequents anime websites and I can tell you that that's kinda BS. Most anime fans are also fans of Pixar. At most, we may consider Pixar movies to be slightly overhyped as the 'master animation company', since there are many better ones out there, but we're still fans. Besides, several of the more popular anime series are partially aimed towards kids as well. 

There may be anime fans out there who dislike Pixar, just like there may be Pixar fans out there who hate Ghibli but they're very much in the minority

I know the anime fans like adult themes better.

No we don't. We like good storytelling best. There's a reason One Piece is the most popular anime/manga in Japan, despite not being all that 'adult'. 

No one can deny that they have been going downhill lately. I think this year alone they closed the Canada branch, laid off many workers, and delayed the release date of The Good Dinosaur. They seem to be in trouble. But they're still my second favorite animation studio, and I hope Inside Out (a movie I'm really excited about) will mark their glorious return to form.

So Toy Story is 2nd and Incredibles is first. There goes that tension.

Unless somehow Summer Wars has become the most popular animated film without me noticing. It could happen, right guys? G-Guys?

2. Toy Story 3- 458 points [15 votes]

This film was top with 1 vote to go.

The 2010 sequel came out 11 years after Toy Story 2. This film had one of my favourite marketing campaigns including the amazing posters. This was Lee Unkrish's first film as a solo director and it was the first film cinematically to feature Dolby Digital 7.1 sound. The fantastic characters of Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, Rex, Hamn and Slinky Dog all returned along with the new characters of the lovely Bonnie and the villain Lotso Huggin Bear. It is the only animation ever to pass 1 billion at the box office and it is 11th all time worldwide. The original idea was the toys shipping Buzz to Taiwan and the first teaser trailer was with Up. The second trailer came with the Toy Story/ Toy Story 2 3D double feature re-release and another trailer appeared in 3D showings with Alice in Wonderland and How To Train Your Dragon.The short film was Day and Night and it received an amazing 99% rating on RT. Time named it one of the best 25 animations of all time and companies such as Lego made toys of the film. It made the largest first day ever for an animation sequel in the UK on DVD and Blu-ray and it received an Oscar campaign. A sequel is rumoured to be in the works.

Box Office: 110.3/415/648.1/1,063,171,911. It is the second biggest Pixar film adjusted and is the only animation to pass 1 billion as mentioned above. It was great overseas as well where it earned over 24m in Australia, Brazil, France,  Japan [it's biggest overseas territory with a massive 126m], Mexico [where it earned a great 60m], Spain and The UK [where it earned a fabulous 116.6m].

Nominated for 82 awards including 38 wins. It won two at the Oscars for best animated film and best original score and was nominated for best picture [only the 3rd ever animated film to be nominated for this accolade], best sound editing and best adapted screenplay. It won best animation at the Golden Globes and the BAFTA'S and was nominated for screenplay and visual effects at the latter award ceremony. It also won many best animated film awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNMpa5yBf5o

• Like 2

My computer crashed twice while writing that so that was the third write-up. As my computer keeps crashing, im going to have to go and getting sorted which means I will very likely not be able to post number 1 till Wednesday

Edited by HairsprayFilmsCatchingFire