CJohn

Ice Age 5: Collision Course (July 22, 2016)

6 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Not surpass the first one, eh? So far it's at $368M WW.

Just $15M left to top it.

I've just learned it opened in China. It will surpass the first but boy, the drop from the previous one is big.

You know the funny thing about this film?

Well, the first one back in 2002.....did out-open all the Disney Renaissance movies from the 90's, with a $46M OW. Now this fifth one....not only had the lowest opening for the franchise with $21.3M....but it opened lower than some of the 2D Disney films and has a lower DOM-gross than some of them.

Here are some Disney 2D films from both the 90's & the 2000's that opened higher than IA5 and has a higher DOM-gross than Ice Age 5:

Hercules = $21.5M OW/ $99M DOM

Mulan = $22M OW/ $120M DOM

The Princess and the Frog = $24M OW/ $104M DOM 

Pocahontas = $29M OW/ $141M DOM

Tarzan = $34M OW/ $171M DOM

Lilo & Stitch = $35M/ $145M DOM

The Lion King = $40M OW/ $422M DOM

Looks like these Disney Movies are laughing now at IA5's OW & DOM, compared to their own.

On 10/9/2016 at 9:42 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

it opened lower than some of the 2D Disney films and has a lower DOM-gross than some of them.

The second part of the sentence shouldn't be too surprising, given the first, since WDAS movies--even the poorly-performing ones--generally have above-average multipliers, even for animated features.  The lowest in what seems like forever would be Chicken Little's multiplier, but even that was around the industry average for successful animated releases.  In contrast, IA5's multiplier is definitely low for an animated feature, especially one that opened so small--it's more comparable to decent live-action movies' multipliers.

Your points are valid--I just wanted to add an interesting (to me, anyway) observation/factoid.  Over the past couple of decades WDAS movies haven't always performed adequately in terms of total box office gross per production cost, but they've consistently done well relative to their opening weekends--their multipliers are average at worst, almost always above average, and sometimes spectacular.  That's in the DOM market, of course, but for example in Japan they've been nothing short of amazing lately, as four out of their last five movies have had multipliers exceeding 15, which even in that market is a streak that defies belief.  No, Pixar haven't ever matched that, and I'd have to double-check to be sure, but I've never noticed even Studio Ghibli pulling off such a feat.  Crazy!  I have to wonder why WDAS movies pretty consistently open well below their potential.  There could be any number of reasons for this (easy to name), but which are they exactly (not so easy to determine)?  Perhaps a bit of each.

17 minutes ago, Melvin Frohike said:

The second part of the sentence shouldn't be too surprising, given the first, since WDAS movies--even the poorly-performing ones--generally have above-average multipliers, even for animated features.  The lowest in what seems like forever would be Chicken Little's multiplier, but even that was around the industry average for successful animated releases.  In contrast, IA5's multiplier is definitely low for an animated feature, especially one that opened so small--it's more comparable to decent live-action movies' multipliers.

Your points are valid--I just wanted to add an interesting (to me, anyway) observation/factoid.  Over the past couple of decades WDAS movies haven't always performed adequately in terms of total box office gross per production cost, but they've consistently done well relative to their opening weekends--their multipliers are average at worst, almost always above average, and sometimes spectacular.  That's in the DOM market, of course, but for example in Japan they've been nothing short of amazing lately, as four out of their last five movies have had multipliers exceeding 15, which even in that market is a streak that defies belief.  No, Pixar haven't ever matched that, and I'd have to double-check to be sure, but I've never noticed even Studio Ghibli pulling off such a feat.  Crazy!  I have to wonder why WDAS movies pretty consistently open well below their potential.  There could be any number of reasons for this (easy to name), but which are they exactly (not so easy to determine)?  Perhaps a bit of each.

Actually the fact that it managed a 3x after the dreadful reception and lower opening speaks to the legs of animated films in general. It takes a really dreadful animated movie (or Cars 2) to miss the 3x spot but even with low 20s OW if its not prime season they are toast - summer weekdays saved it from doing under 60m.