CJohn

Ice Age 5: Collision Course (July 22, 2016)

1 hour ago, goldenstate5 said:

I don't think it matters, really. It's already made enough to fund a sixth film. I think that may finally be the kicker for this franchise's longevity.

I'm kinda curious to see how far they'll take it, way more than actually seeing this crap. (for the record, the last one I saw was the second one)

The huge drops though indicate that the next one will see more of the same.  If it makes $500m ww but they think the next would drop another 40-50% then is it really worth it even with a $100m budget?

• Like 1

For those railing against the franchise, don't watch it. It's a non-issue. Whether they keep making sequels or not, doesn't matter to me. The last one I saw was, I think, IA2. I've chosen since then not to give them my $$. 

Edited by lilmac

RT concensus : Unoriginal and unfunny, Ice Age: Collision Course offers further proof that not even the healthiest box office receipts can keep a franchise from slouching toward creative extinction.

Ykes.

Well deserved, this thing is awful.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2016 at 7:19 PM, The Futurist said:

RT concensus : Unoriginal and unfunny, Ice Age: Collision Course offers further proof that not even the healthiest box office receipts can keep a franchise from slouching toward creative extinction.

Ykes.

Well deserved, this thing is awful.

Just saw it tonight, and while it certainly wasn't good, I wouldn't say it was awful. Heck, it wasn't the worst movie I've seen in the last week or so. ID:Resurgence, now that was a genuinely awful movie. Ice Age was merely bad, and given that kids' movies cover a pretty wide range in terms of quality, I wasn't even all that disappointed. I'd see it again in a heartbeat given the choice between it and any of the Alvin movies.

Also worth remembering is that while the first movie was genuinely good, everything since then has been varying degrees of bad. This one probably does set a new low for the series, but anyone watching it who didn't have really low expectations is misremembering the previous ones. I have no explanation for why they've done so well, especially overseas. You'd think the fondness for the first one would have worn off long ago. The voice actors certainly didn't sound excited to be there (except for Simon Pegg, because Buck was just about the only entertaining character in the movie. Well, and Scrat, though he's more a vehicle for entertainingly inventive pratfalls than a character) and seriously, wtf was Nick Offerman doing in this? If he needs cash that badly maybe we can take up a collection for him. He was no worse than any of the other characters, though sadly he was really no better. Other than being Nick Offerman.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

Yeah, coming from someone who enjoyed the first four films, this was pretty bad. It's animated nicely, and a few of the jokes are pretty funny, but it's just an absolute mess. There's more effort in the end credit sequence than there is in the entire plot. Either bring back the cavemen from the first in the sixth (or just the baby as a teen or all grown up) and let Scrat finally get his acorn or just end this already and make Scrat shorts in front of some films.

Spoiler

- Son-in-Law subplot goes absolutely nowhere to the point the Son-In-Law is barely a character

- Cliche "forgot the anniversary"

- Barely any Scrat

- Flying velociraptors who have a pretty inane evil plan

- Unicorns

- Geotopia sinks this movie

Just go see Finding Dory or Secret Life of Pets for your animated fix. Those are leagues better.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Yeah, coming from someone who enjoyed the first four films, this was pretty bad. It's animated nicely, and a few of the jokes are pretty funny, but it's just an absolute mess. There's more effort in the end credit sequence than there is in the entire plot. Either bring back the cavemen from the first in the sixth (or just the baby as a teen or all grown up) and let Scrat finally get his acorn or just end this already and make Scrat shorts in front of some films.

Reveal hidden contents

Just go see Finding Dory or Secret Life of Pets for your animated fix. Those are leagues better.

For bringing back the baby from the first film all grown up would be a better plot than the inane plots they've had. 

On 7/20/2016 at 10:48 PM, TalismanRing said:

The huge drops though indicate that the next one will see more of the same.  If it makes $500m ww but they think the next would drop another 40-50% then is it really worth it even with a $100m budget?

Of course it is. The merchandise for this is huge. And I don;t think a sixth one will drop that much. Honestly, the marketing for this one was lazy as fuck. Fox relied entirely on the brand name and that was big enough to carry it to 450-500m. And let's say it drops to 300m on a 100m budget. It is still making money. So why not? It's not like Fox has so many big franchises right now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Still, as bad as this was, at least it's not.  . . . this thing they had in the previews before the film

Hide contents

Oh my God this is real, this, this is a real thing

Thats called Robinson Crueso over here.

I think it flopped though

robinson-crusoe.png

5 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It's shocking that KFP3 (the good & well-received animated sequel) didn't get the huge OS-gross that it really deserved.....instead of IA5. (Granted I haven't seen IA5, yet.)

Does anyone else prefer Kung Fu Panda 3 over Ice Age 5?

I don't think anyone prefers Ice Age 5.