CJohn

Ice Age 5: Collision Course (July 22, 2016)

This looks absolutely horrid from the marketing, and this coming from someone who has always enjoyed this franchise on a cute diversion kind of level, despite none of the sequels needing to have existed. But really, it looks like the entire goal of this one was to see just how low brow they could stoop. I'd say a terrible movie combined with Dory and Pets grossing absurd amounts of money right before this will create a DOM total as low as 50-60m. 

Edited by MovieMan89

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This looks absolutely horrid from the marketing, and this coming from someone who has always enjoyed this franchise on a cute diversion kind of level, despite none of the sequels needing to have existed. But really, it looks like the entire goal of this one was to see just how low brow they could stoop. I'd say a terrible movie combined with Dory and Pets grossing absurd amounts of money right before this will create a DOM total as low as 50-60m. 

Considering it will very likely beat Dory and Pets OS, I don't think Fox really gives a fuck about what it makes DOM. Also, they are so cheap to make they are bound to be just as or even more profitable than Dory or Pets. The first 4 Ice Age movies cost 320m together to make and they brought in 2.8b at the WW box office. Just like Illumination, Blue Sky knows how to keep their budgets from spiraling out of control, something Pixar and WDAS can't seem to be able to do. 

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

Considering it will very likely beat Dory and Pets OS, I don't think Fox really gives a fuck about what it makes DOM. Also, they are so cheap to make they are bound to be just as or even more profitable than Dory or Pets. The first 4 Ice Age movies cost 320m together to make and they brought in 2.8b at the WW box office. Just like Illumination, Blue Sky knows how to keep their budgets from spiraling out of control, something Pixar and WDAS can't seem to be able to do. 

I give it like a 5% chance of beating Dory OS. I think it's dropping big OS too, and Nemo is one of Pixar's biggest OS hits to this day so Dory should be pretty massive. Will say 500 OS for now, but I can see it going as low as 350 OS if both Dory and Pets have big hauls there. Unwanted sequels are beginning to drop hard OS too, not just DOM anymore. Just look at Alice 2 and TMNT 2's huge OS drops compared to predecessors, and even Apocalypse and Neighbors 2 to a lesser extent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I give it like a 5% chance of beating Dory OS. I think it's dropping big OS too, and Nemo is one of Pixar's biggest OS hits to this day so Dory should be pretty massive. Will say 500 OS for now, but I can see it going as low as 350 OS if both Dory and Pets have big hauls there. Unwanted sequels are beginning to drop hard OS too, not just DOM anymore. Just look at Alice 2 and TMNT 2's huge OS drops compared to predecessors, and even Apocalypse and Neighbors 2 to a lesser extent. 

Alice 2 is a sequel to a movie that benefited from the 3D craze and Apcalypse dropped because of the ER and it's not like TMNT was very big OS to begin with. As for Dory, it doesn't look to make more than 600m OS. Ice Age will beat that. And unwanted sequels? Where do you get that from. If that was the case then the last one, the FOURTH in the series, wouldn't have increased even more OS. I find all this America-doesnt-want-something so the-entire-world-doesn't-want-it thing ridiculous. Fact is, Ice Age is bigger OS than any Pixar movie ever made. Actually, the only movie that comes ever close is TS3, and even that one falls about 65m short. The rest of them are over 150m smaller.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James said:

Alice 2 is a sequel to a movie that benefited from the 3D craze and Apcalypse dropped because of the ER and it's not like TMNT was very big OS to begin with. As for Dory, it doesn't look to make more than 600m OS. Ice Age will beat that. And unwanted sequels? Where do you get that from. If that was the case then the last one, the FOURTH in the series, wouldn't have increased even more OS. I find all this America-doesnt-want-something so the-entire-world-doesn't-want-it thing ridiculous. Fact is, Ice Age is bigger OS than any Pixar movie ever made. Actually, the only movie that comes ever close is TS3, and even that one falls about 65m short. The rest of them are over 150m smaller.

One word. China. Ice Age 3 wasn't released in China and grossed $690 million OS. Meanwhile taking out Ice Age 4's China gross of $68 million, gives it $648 million. Long story short, Ice Age is cooling down overseas after its Meltdown in 2006 (excuse my puns) :P

25 minutes ago, James said:

Alice 2 is a sequel to a movie that benefited from the 3D craze and Apcalypse dropped because of the ER and it's not like TMNT was very big OS to begin with. As for Dory, it doesn't look to make more than 600m OS. Ice Age will beat that. And unwanted sequels? Where do you get that from. If that was the case then the last one, the FOURTH in the series, wouldn't have increased even more OS. I find all this America-doesnt-want-something so the-entire-world-doesn't-want-it thing ridiculous. Fact is, Ice Age is bigger OS than any Pixar movie ever made. Actually, the only movie that comes ever close is TS3, and even that one falls about 65m short. The rest of them are over 150m smaller.

My point was that it's a different climate now and blockbuster sequels aren't increasing anymore OS just because they're big franchises there. It's starting to mirror the DOM market much more closely, where if it's a subpar or unnecessary sequel it seems to take a big dive OS. Aside from China anyways. Alice 2 for example never would have fallen below 550m OS a couple years ago given what the first did and the way the market worked back then. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Blue Sky gives zero fucks about this franchise. They are only doing it for the money at this point.

I hear that animators are really are sick of doing these movies, but they sort of have to.

Edited by Mojoguy

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This movie

100m DOM
800m OS

900m WW

I am expecting similar numbers myself.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Blue Sky gives zero fucks about this franchise. They are only doing it for the money at this point.

I hear that animators are really are sick of doing these movies, but they sort of have to.

Source?

Edited by Arlborn

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

My point was that it's a different climate now and blockbuster sequels aren't increasing anymore OS just because they're big franchises there. It's starting to mirror the DOM market much more closely, where if it's a subpar or unnecessary sequel it seems to take a big dive OS. Aside from China anyways. Alice 2 for example never would have fallen below 550m OS a couple years ago given what the first did and the way the market worked back then. 

Then why is Dory making money?

Domestic, IA5 will have Dory (+450m) and Pets (potential 200m) to deal with. Plus Zoo just made 350m in the spring, audiences could be a little burnt out by the time it opens. IA4 only had Brave (230m) as direct competition. Thinking 26-28m OW, total 95-105m.

Overseas, using KFP2 to KFP3 drop as a comparison point, also taking into account the exchange rate, the recent trend of unwanted sequels dropping hard,  the fact that the last two movies were bad and that the franchise already showed signs of fatigue with the fourth movie. Best case scnario, without China, seems to be 350m. China could contribute with 90-110m, but I'm not sure how IA movies play over there.

565m WW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

My sister basically told me that Fox has Blue Sky obligated to make Ice Age sequels, until they start flopping overseas, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

...the series was running on prehistoric fumes, but now, against all odds, it has gotten its mojo back. “Collision Course” is a cosmic comedy about facing down the end of the world as we know it. It may be a slight entertainment in the grand scheme of things, but it’s been made with a busy, nattering joy that is positively infectious. Even with animated competition from the likes of Pixar (“Finding Dory”) and Illumination (“The Secret Life of Pets”), box office prospects look solid as ice.

That's... Unexpected?

• Like 1