baumer

The Green Mile (1999)

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Green Mile joins Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Stand By Me, Misery, The Dead Zone and (in my opinion) TV movies The Langoliers and The Stand as one of the best adaptations by King. And taking a look at some of the directors that made these films, you will see a pattern. Now I have no idea who directed The Langoliers or The Stand but I can certainly tell you that the likes of David Cronenberg, Rob Reiner, Stanley Kubrick and Frank Darabont are responsible for the other films mentioned above. It takes good directors that have great vision to bring to life Stephen King's world. And now with Darabont directing this one you can add it to the list of superbly adapted King tales. 

As a book, the Green Mile was vivid and touching and awe inspiring, and to be honest, I wasn't sure how the film was going to turn out when I heard it was going to be made. Even though I have great admiration for Tom Hanks and Darabont, that alone did not make me overly enthusiastic about the movie. But to be completely honest, when I found out that John Coffey was going to be played by Michael Duncan Clarke, my mood soon changed. Clarke is one of only two men that I could envision playing the pivitol role in the film ( the other being Tiny Lister ). But Clarke takes the role of John Coffey and breathes life into him. He gives him an identity and he is so likable and believable that the movie works because of him. His interpretation of John Coffey is exactly like I imagined him when I read the Green Mile. The rest of the cast is great but it is Clarke that shines the brightest and that is quite the compliment seeing as some of his co-stars are Tom Hanks, the under rated David Morse and even bit roles by Graham Greene, Gary Sinise and a hilarious cameo by Harry Dean Stanton as Old Toot Toot are great performances. It is actually quite interesting to see Harry Dean Stanton in here because one of the death row guards is named Dean Stanton, I wonder if King wrote that character in homage of the great actor?

There is so much to like about The Green Mile and it is a film that should be seen by everyone at least once. It is entertaining, comedic and inspiring all rolled into one film. It is one of the best films of 1999.  It's also a film that grew on me over the years.  American Beauty is still the best film of the year imo but this is right up there.  1999 was a strong year for movies.  I also don't think Michael Caine should have won best supporting actor that year.  Haley Joel Osment or Michael Clarke Duncan should have.

The Green Mile is a great experience and it is not only a great film from an artistic standpoint but on an entertainment level it is terrific as well.

9/10

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 1

I also enjoy The Langoliers and The Stand. Cheesy as all hell with some questionable acting & effects, yes. But they're still entertaining and, as you said, great adaptations.The opening sequence of The Stand will always be awesome to me. The use of the song is so perfectly creepy.As far as The Green Mile goes, I absolutely love it. I could and have watched this many many times.

Edited by House Cozmees of Everdeen
  • Like 2

One of my all-time favorite movies. Fantastic movie with a great score and directed superbly by Frank Darabont. 

It is great to watch outstanding performances from Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan and the rest of the supporting cast. 

A+

I had this film sitting on my shelf for quite a while now, and after being hugely disappointed with Shanshawk my excitement for this had died down completely. 

Boy, I wish I had seen it sooner.

I loved it. I loved the atmosphere, the performances, the three dimensional characters. And so much heart.

The last 20 minutes is my only quibble, too sappy and preachy for my liking.

90/100