grim22

Best movies of 2013 (Results link in first post)

Number 12:

#12: RUSH

<ahttp://i.imgur.com/yqWnuMG.png' alt='Posted Image' class='bbc_img' />

As a huge Formula-1 fan, I was looking forward to Ron Howard’s “Rush” and I have to say it didn’t disappoint. Retelling the story of a F-1 season considered by many to be the best season ever, and with good performances from both Hemsworth and Bruhl, this movie was definitely worth watching – it is a shame that relatively few people watched it.

Box office: 27M Domestic / 90M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Ddddeeee

The movie is really excellent. Hems and Bruhl are brilliant, especially together. I found myself changing who I sided with more countless times over the course of the film. Racing scenes were exhilarating and it's Zimmer's best score since At World's End.

I had a big beef with the ending though. It was sappy and unnecessary. The two completely verbalize their relationship to the point of embarrassment, yes Ron Howard we did pick up on all of it, it wasn't subtle, no need to hit us around the head with it. And the info that Hunt died at 45 etc. seemed forced, a postscript would have worked more naturally.

But yeah, brilliant movie overall. 9/10

Spaghetti

It's fantastic. The movie works because it gives equal strength to both Hemsworth and Bruhl, and the two play off their scenarios and each other in a brilliant way. In any other year, I could see an oscar nod for Hemsworth, that guy can really act. Ron Howard's direction here is also fantastic. The race scenes are exhilirating, the period flair looks great, and every sound and bit of music contributes to the intensity of the film. My one criticism is that it kind of takes a bit of time to get things going, but once it does, it never lets go.

Strongly recommended.

A-

• Like 9

Number 12:

<ahttp://i.imgur.com/yqWnuMG.png' alt='Posted Image' class='bbc_img' />

As a huge Formula-1 fan, I was looking forward to Ron Howard’s “Rush” and I have to say it didn’t disappoint. Retelling the story of a F-1 season considered by many to be the best season ever, and with good performances from both Hemsworth and Bruhl, this movie was definitely worth watching – it is a shame that relatively few people watched it.

BOF User Reviews:

Ddddeeee

The movie is really excellent. Hems and Bruhl are brilliant, especially together. I found myself changing who I sided with more countless times over the course of the film. Racing scenes were exhilarating and it's Zimmer's best score since At World's End.

I had a big beef with the ending though. It was sappy and unnecessary. The two completely verbalize their relationship to the point of embarrassment, yes Ron Howard we did pick up on all of it, it wasn't subtle, no need to hit us around the head with it. And the info that Hunt died at 45 etc. seemed forced, a postscript would have worked more naturally.

Spaghetti

It's fantastic. The movie works because it gives equal strength to both Hemsworth and Bruhl, and the two play off their scenarios and each other in a brilliant way. In any other year, I could see an oscar nod for Hemsworth, that guy can really act. Ron Howard's direction here is also fantastic. The race scenes are exhilirating, the period flair looks great, and every sound and bit of music contributes to the intensity of the film. My one criticism is that it kind of takes a bit of time to get things going, but once it does, it never lets go.

Strongly recommended.

A-

Finally, some sanity has come to this list.

• Like 2

Number 12:

Posted Image

BOF User Reviews:

Ddddeeee

Spaghetti

Strongly recommended.

A-

Posted Image

Number 11:

#11: INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

<ahttp://i.imgur.com/2GwjNDf.png' alt='Posted Image' class='bbc_img' />

I didn’t watch this movie, so naturally I have nothing to say about it J

Box Office: 11.5M Domestic and WW

BOF User Reviews:

Gopher:

My favorite film of the year, from my favorite directors working today. This may be the Coen's most melancholic story-- there's a profound sense of loss and coldness to Llewyn's life--but it's still incredibly funny, visceral and emotional, and the music adds so much to the film's characters and atmosphere. Llewyn's character study proves how you can pour your heart and soul into what you do and be really good at it, but it doesn't matter if you can't catch a break. The most devastating shot in the film is right before an ass-whooping from a man in the shadows, Llewyn looks at Bob Dylan and realizes that he's not special, that he's not going to make it no matter how much he tries. We laugh at how bleak Llewyn's life is so we don't cry. This is what the Coens excel at and what all of their best films pull this off in spades. Inside Llewyn Davis is absolutely one of their best.

I can't wait to go back and back to this film because I feel like there's even more to be unpacked here.

4815162342:

Very fatalistic and ultimately resigning. Lots of classic Coen dark humor and some truly bleak dramatic moments on occasion (Llewyn hitting the cat that may or may not have been faux-Ulysses and watching it limp into the woods). The pacing kinda gets too plodding during the whole Chicago trip segment and Hedlund/Goodman are kinda just there.

So it's a strong A movie that has a lesser B/B+ segment sandwiched inside.

• Like 8

Number 10:

#10: BEFORE MIDNIGHT

Posted Image

One of my most anticipated movies of 2013. “Before Sunrise” and “Before Sunset” do so much with just 2 characters talking to each other, and “Before Midnight” is no exception. Jesse and Celine are back, and it is a pleasure to make their acquaintance again for the running time of this movie. Linklater, Hawke and Delpy make every movie in this trilogy seem so different yet so familiar. Hopefully, we will have “Before Twilight” or some such continuation of this story in 10 years’ time.

Box Office: 8M Domestic / 20M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Carlos Danger

Linklater is one of the most unique directors around, especially for someone who makes at least one film per year, and this film is a testament to his abilities. Just like with the first two, he can manage to make 20-30 minutes conversations riveting and involving. The final argument especially packs a wallop, with the raw power of Hawke and Delpy being unlike anything I've seen in years. Easily my favorite film of the year so far.

9.5/10

Fancyarcher

This is a beautiful movie. Well shot and made by Richard Linklater. It’s also hilarious, and feels more like a self contained movie, then the end of the Before / After trilogy. This film is entirely driven by its performances and dialogue, and it works in the best way possible.

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are brilliant here; you really feel there’s a couple on the verge of divorce. Delpy in particular is hilarious when she pretends to be an American, treating Romeo and Juliet likes it’s a book based off a movie.

The landscapes are beautiful. Greece never looked this great.

A well deserving 10 / 10.

• Like 10

Number 11:

#11: INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

<ahttp://i.imgur.com/2GwjNDf.png' alt='Posted Image' class='bbc_img' />

I didn’t watch this movie, so naturally I have nothing to say about it J

Box Office: 11.5M Domestic and WW

BOF User Reviews:

Gopher:

My favorite film of the year, from my favorite directors working today. This may be the Coen's most melancholic story-- there's a profound sense of loss and coldness to Llewyn's life--but it's still incredibly funny, visceral and emotional, and the music adds so much to the film's characters and atmosphere. Llewyn's character study proves how you can pour your heart and soul into what you do and be really good at it, but it doesn't matter if you can't catch a break. The most devastating shot in the film is right before an ass-whooping from a man in the shadows, Llewyn looks at Bob Dylan and realizes that he's not special, that he's not going to make it no matter how much he tries. We laugh at how bleak Llewyn's life is so we don't cry. This is what the Coens excel at and what all of their best films pull this off in spades. Inside Llewyn Davis is absolutely one of their best.

I can't wait to go back and back to this film because I feel like there's even more to be unpacked here.

4815162342:

Very fatalistic and ultimately resigning. Lots of classic Coen dark humor and some truly bleak dramatic moments on occasion (Llewyn hitting the cat that may or may not have been faux-Ulysses and watching it limp into the woods). The pacing kinda gets too plodding during the whole Chicago trip segment and Hedlund/Goodman are kinda just there.

So it's a strong A movie that has a lesser B/B+ segment sandwiched inside.

I loved this film, my number 2 of the year, glad it at least made the list, wish it'd be higher.

Number 10:

#10: BEFORE MIDNIGHT

Posted Image

One of my most anticipated movies of 2013. “Before Sunrise” and “Before Sunset” do so much with just 2 characters talking to each other, and “Before Midnight” is no exception. Jesse and Celine are back, and it is a pleasure to make their acquaintance again for the running time of this movie. Linklater, Hawke and Delpy make every movie in this trilogy seem so different yet so familiar. Hopefully, we will have “Before Twilight” or some such continuation of this story in 10 years’ time.

Box Office: 8M Domestic / 20M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Carlos Danger

Linklater is one of the most unique directors around, especially for someone who makes at least one film per year, and this film is a testament to his abilities. Just like with the first two, he can manage to make 20-30 minutes conversations riveting and involving. The final argument especially packs a wallop, with the raw power of Hawke and Delpy being unlike anything I've seen in years. Easily my favorite film of the year so far.

9.5/10

Fancyarcher

This is a beautiful movie. Well shot and made by Richard Linklater. It’s also hilarious, and feels more like a self contained movie, then the end of the Before / After trilogy. This film is entirely driven by its performances and dialogue, and it works in the best way possible.

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are brilliant here; you really feel there’s a couple on the verge of divorce. Delpy in particular is hilarious when she pretends to be an American, treating Romeo and Juliet likes it’s a book based off a movie.

The landscapes are beautiful. Greece never looked this great.

A well deserving 10 / 10.

Well deserved, hopefully the mediocrefest of entries has ended.

Number 14:

#14: DESPICABLE ME 2

Posted Image

Despicable Me 2 was a decent follow-up to Despicable Me; while I think I expected the Minions to be more of a focus this time around (thanks to the advertising focusing solely on them), sometimes in the movie I felt that they were not necessary in quite a few scenes. The movie actually has a good story to hold it together without needing the Minions to be present in every single scene. Somehow, I felt that the movie didn’t manage to balance that aspect.

That being said, this was a thoroughly entertaining movie. Gru, Margot, Edith and Agnes are back and it was worth the wait. The characters’ return led to Despicable Me 2 becoming one of the biggest movies of the year.

Box office:  368M Domestic / 964M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Robertron

Just as good as, if not better than, the first. And those minions... Oh my lord I could watch an entire movie on them they are so addictive!!

9.0/10.0

Narniadis

While there is not "it’s so fluffy" moment I really felt like this film developed the Gru and Girls relationship, as it should have being a sequel. Loved it as it stand right now this is the best mainstream film I have seen for 2013 above even MU, I laughed and laughed and laughed and had so much fun, part of which I am sure is due to the audience which just ate it up, but in part as well to the fact that they put a well done movie on the screen for all to enjoy. So looking forward to the Minion movie in 2015.

A-

At least it is over MU. It is so much better.

Number 9-1

#9-1: THIS IS THE END

Posted Image

Probably the most high-concept comedy of the year. Who would have thought that having actors play themselves as the apocalypse breaks out would lead to so many laughs, especially when talking about the Judd Apatow crew. So many funny sequences in this movie, from Jonah Hill’s exorcism, to Danny McBride’s entrances (both of which could win “Best Entrance”) to the cameos. This was a very entertaining movie, and if a sequel is made, they now have “Two time Academy Award Nominee” Jonah Hill jokes to make.

Box Office: 101M Domestic / 126M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Sam:

I thought it was freaking hilarious. One of the best comedies I've seen in the last 5 years. I had a very fun time at the theaters with my friends, who all love it by the way. Full of laughs and WTF moments.  

I'd love to watch it again in theater, but due to limited funds (yep, I'm a student, so I have specific fund set aside for movies  :P ) I can't do that. Definitely will watch it again when DVD/Bluray comes out  :)

This got an A- from me.

Dexter of Suburbia

This movie is amazing. I saw it on Friday night and it was hilarious. So many great moments in this movie. I pretty much every minute in the movie I was laughing.  The whole crew worked well together.  The writing in the movie is so great. I loved all the references in the movie. I loved "The exorcism of Jonah Hill"

• Like 7

Number 9-1

#9-1: THIS IS THE END

Posted Image

Probably the most high-concept comedy of the year. Who would have thought that having actors play themselves as the apocalypse breaks out would lead to so many laughs, especially when talking about the Judd Apatow crew. So many funny sequences in this movie, from Jonah Hill’s exorcism, to Danny McBride’s entrances (both of which could win “Best Entrance”) to the cameos. This was a very entertaining movie, and if a sequel is made, they now have “Two time Academy Award Nominee” Jonah Hill jokes to make.

Box Office: 101M Domestic / 126M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Sam:

I thought it was freaking hilarious. One of the best comedies I've seen in the last 5 years. I had a very fun time at the theaters with my friends, who all love it by the way. Full of laughs and WTF moments.  

I'd love to watch it again in theater, but due to limited funds (yep, I'm a student, so I have specific fund set aside for movies  :P ) I can't do that. Definitely will watch it again when DVD/Bluray comes out  :)

This got an A- from me.

Dexter of Suburbia

This movie is amazing. I saw it on Friday night and it was hilarious. So many great moments in this movie. I pretty much every minute in the movie I was laughing.  The whole crew worked well together.  The writing in the movie is so great. I loved all the references in the movie. I loved "The exorcism of Jonah Hill"

Posted Image

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3