AniNate

NATO announces new film marketing guidelines

Been waiting to chime in on this since learning about it internally a few weeks ago. I'm definitely glad the guidelines remain voluntary. As a movie fan, part of the fun of trailers is seeing what's coming out in the distant future.

That said, I understand the motives here. General audiences care far less about a teaser for Interstellar one year out than they do for The LEGO Movie 2-3 months out, and that matters to exhibitors in a big way.

I think it should be tied to the budget of the film. Big movies need a longer runway sometimes.

Do they? Can we prove that? Avatar got by on a four-month window.

It's not fair to use such a unique, once-in-a-decade run like Avatar as an example to make a point.

Edited by a2knet

Movie fans like us certainly do. I don't see why we should complain. Like I said it's almost tradition now and many teaser trailers are very well made

You really have to look at this from the exhibitors' perspective. What do they gain from it? Much as we may like to see early previews, it doesn't affect the bottom line that much, if at all.

You really have to look at this from the exhibitors' perspective. What do they gain from it? Much as we may like to see early previews, it doesn't affect the bottom line that much, if at all.

It does when you're trying to advertise your December blockbuster when most people go to the movies (the summer) or trying to market your Summer blockbuster in December to get the word out.

Plus year in advance trailers work better than most people know, it gets the movie on the map in the GA's head to think about and so it creates further excitement if they have already been intrigued.

I also don't see a point in putting a time limit on the trailers.

Thankfully these rules are voluntary and studios wont abide by them.

It does when you're trying to advertise your December blockbuster when most people go to the movies (the summer) or trying to market your Summer blockbuster in December to get the word out.

But you're going to do all that stuff in the months leading up to its actual release anyway, and you'll likely be reaching a far bigger audience.

But you're going to do all that stuff in the months leading up to its actual release anyway, and you'll likely be reaching a far bigger audience.

How are you reaching a bigger audience when you can't advertise your movie in theaters (the best place to advertise a movie) in advance.

I can somewhat see the 2 minute rule, but there is no purpose to these rules.  This means next year in 2015 (unless an exemption is made) Disney wouldn't be able to put a Star Wars trailer on Age of Ultron.

There is no actual purpose for the 5 month in advance rule except for AMC trying to flex their non-existent muscles.