AniNate

NATO announces new film marketing guidelines

http://www.indiewire.com/article/are-movie-trailers-too-long-theater-owners-think-so

-Movie trailers shouldn't exceed 2 minutes in length

-No in theater ads until 150 days before release

These guidelines are voluntary, but do you think they will have a significant effect on film marketing? I think it would be nice to keep some element of surprise until the movie is closer to release.

If so, you're not alone. In new marketing guidelines released today, The National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) said movie trailers shouldn't exceed two minutes.

Oohhhh so it's not the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, I was wondering why they would be involved with movie marketing. 

• Like 11

If so, you're not alone. In new marketing guidelines released today, The National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) said movie trailers shouldn't exceed two minutes.

Oohhhh so it's not the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, I was wondering why they would be involved with movie marketing. 

LOL...that was my first thought too.

• Like 2

http://www.indiewire.com/article/are-movie-trailers-too-long-theater-owners-think-so

-Movie trailers shouldn't exceed 2 minutes in length

-No in theater ads until 150 days before release

These guidelines are voluntary, but do you think they will have a significant effect on film marketing? I think it would be nice to keep some element of surprise until the movie is closer to release.

no, this would suck. Getting trailers for next years movies at Christmas time is always exciting. Also, getting a small teaser a year in advance can be cool because sometimes they give you chills. Ex. Batman Begins teaser, Star Trek teaser, Transformers teaser etc.

• Like 7

no, this would suck. Getting trailers for next years movies at Christmas time is always exciting. Also, getting a small teaser a year in advance can be cool because sometimes they give you chills. Ex. Batman Begins teaser, Star Trek teaser, Transformers teaser etc.

I can live without it. They mostly just get confused looks from anyone who isn't familiar with them.

• Founder / Operator

Been waiting to chime in on this since learning about it internally a few weeks ago. I'm definitely glad the guidelines remain voluntary. As a movie fan, part of the fun of trailers is seeing what's coming out in the distant future.

That said, I understand the motives here. General audiences care far less about a teaser for Interstellar one year out than they do for The LEGO Movie 2-3 months out, and that matters to exhibitors in a big way.

• Like 3

Been waiting to chime in on this since learning about it internally a few weeks ago. I'm definitely glad the guidelines remain voluntary. As a movie fan, part of the fun of trailers is seeing what's coming out in the distant future.

That said, I understand the motives here. General audiences care far less about a teaser for Interstellar one year out than they do for The LEGO Movie 2-3 months out, and that matters to exhibitors in a big way.

I think some movies having a teaser a year out makes sense. For example, Avengers or the Superman/Batman movie - those teasers will keep fans talking. The "official" trailers for these movies are almost never released longer than 3 months out, so the 150 days thing makes sense there.

The main issue I see is a studio deciding which 2 movies will get the "longer than 2 minutes" trailer, can lead to a lot of internal politics. I like the idea of trailers shorter than 2 minutes, show off less footage and still get the audience involved.

Edited by grim22

Is it bad to think that NATO, was the real NATO (the international organisation) at first?

Oh no. I thought so for a moment and then realised what it was. And then clicked here and saw the stupid guidelines. 2 minutes isn't really enough for a trailer, and i actually like seeing what's coming up in the future. 

(Though guidelines restricting how many minutes of trailers you can play in front of a movie would be nice)

Is it bad to think that NATO, was the real NATO (the international organisation) at first?

Well, I'm sure it'll be fine as long as next time you hear the headline 'NATO decides to take action in Syria' you don't start wondering what Syria did to piss off Theatre owners.

• Like 3

Oh no. I thought so for a moment and then realised what it was. And then clicked here and saw the stupid guidelines. 2 minutes isn't really enough for a trailer, and i actually like seeing what's coming up in the future. 

(Though guidelines restricting how many minutes of trailers you can play in front of a movie would be nice)

Though it will be good for those rom-coms and comedies that spoil everything on trailers.

Well, I'm sure it'll be fine as long as next time you hear the headline 'NATO decides to take action in Syria' you don't start wondering what Syria did to piss off Theatre owners.

Have you seen the black chick that calls some radio channel and rants and complains about what SIRI did to Obama that he is willing send soldiers to end the problems. :lol:

You can fit a lot more into 2 minutes than you think. I'm sure the sizzle reel will be the same length, they'll just edit down the exposition and reaction shots that lead up to it.

Maybe I'm just jaded by the number of ultra-hyped-up movies that fail to meet their self-set expectations. I'd rather go into a film not quite knowing what to expect.

Edited by tribefan695

You can fit a lot more into 2 minutes than you think. I'm sure the sizzle reel will be the same length, they'll just edit down the exposition and reaction shots that lead up to it.

Maybe I'm just jaded by the number of ultra-hyped-up movies that fail to meet their self-set expectations. I'd rather go into a film not quite knowing what to expect.

It can be a nice surprise. 

this is stupid. if they uphold to tease guidelines that would be you wouldn't even be able to see previews for a film releasing in Demember unit July. and you couldn't see any previews for even films releasing in MAY until December. plus I love seeing teaser for really big films a year before release they don't show hardly anything anyways just get to excited for it. now releasing 30 tv spots two weeks before thats an other story, it also means we're going to get a pile of trailers released just before the movie causing overkill really stupid. was hoping to see a teaser for star wars this year.

Edited by kalo21
  • Like 2