grim22

Boxoffice forum's "Most under-appreciated films of the 2000s" list

Saw this comment by Numbers on the Over-rated movies list: 

Waiting for Man of Steel to show up here, and then a couple weeks later on the Most Underappreciated Films of the 2000s list as well.

Realized that there was no actual "Most Underappreciated Films of the 2000s" list. So I am starting one.PM me your listing of how many ever movies you feel are underappreciated released post Jan. 1 2000. Rank them in order, and I will tabulate the results.Also, PM me your underappreciated movies of 2013.Voting closes next Saturday (March 1), so everyone has almost 2 weeks to send in their lists.Underappreciated can be anything, box office, critical reception, online reception. Whatever barometer you want to use.Looking forward to participation by the forum members.

Edited by grim22

So only movies in 2013? If so you should change your title.

No, there will be a separate top 5 for 2013, but any movie released after January 1 2000 is eligible for the main list .

lol, it has begun. The death of the Speakeasy is nigh.

Decided to go meta on this list :P Edited by grim22

I guess it doesn't matter why they were under-appreciated? In other words, lesser-known titles qualify too? Or are you looking mainly for Hollywood wider releases?

Wide releases would be better since more people knew about them and they still went unappreciated, but by all means feel free to include your favorite "Needed more love" movie.

There Will Be Blood was the best movie of the 2000 decade.There, said and done.Tree of Life made 13m at the box office in 2011. Movie is incredible. Damn you GA for not having a clue how good that movie is.Speed Racer is awesome. Go pound sand if you disagree.

• Like 2

There Will Be Blood was the best movie of the 2000 decade.There, said and done.Tree of Life made 13m at the box office in 2011. Movie is incredible. Damn you GA for not having a clue how good that movie is.Speed Racer is awesome. Go pound sand if you disagree.

YES

YES

NOOOOO EJECT EJECT EJECT

• Like 1

Since not enough are playing, may I add a couple more.Adaptation is an incredibly smart, incredibly engaging and fun movie. You may not have watched it, but you really should have.And to give a more recent film...Moonrise Kingdom is Wes Anderson at the top of his form. And if you're not a fan of Wes Anderson's style, well, let me try and convince you otherwise by saying...YOU SUCK.And you know what? Grandma's Boy is hilarious...there's Oscar nominees suckin on boobies in this movie. And a monkey,.,driving a jeep!

Okay, my epic list. Y'all should watch every damn one of these, if you haven't already. (Spoiler-tagged so my post isn't too long. grim, I'll PM you a regular list.)

You Don’t Mess With the Zohan

One of the few Adam Sandler movies that makes me laugh out loud. It's so dumb, and oddly so sweet -- it's totally charming.

Solaris

That trailer's not very good, which explains (somewhat) why this thoughtful science-fiction film flopped on release. (The Tarkovsky original is much longer, more thought-provoking, more obscure, and harder to get into. But that's Tarkovsky, of course). But this is worth a look.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Raunchy as hell and very funny in parts. The usual faces show up, but they all do good work.

The Aristocrats

Speaking of raunchy, this is one of the most tasteless (and hilarious) movies you'll ever see... but the visuals are all strictly PG. It's all in the language, as several generations of comedians talk about an infamous dirty joke and their favorite ways to tell it. Way more fun to watch with an audience (when I saw it in theaters the waves of laughter were so loud and constant that frequently we'd miss the next line), but it's still worth seeing.

The Fall

A passion project from Tarsem, who not only made it with his own money, he shot it while directing various commercials around the world. It's seriously one of the most beautiful films in recent years, and a great offbeat fable about the power of storytelling and myth.

Dark Blue

Kurt Russell as a badass corrupt cop! Do I need to say more?

Narc

Another gritty cop movie, this one with Jason Patric and Ray Liotta (awesome, as always). A little gem from writer/director Joe Carnahan.

The Grey

Speaking of Carnahan, dude really can direct the hell out of macho male material. Liam Neeson takes on the Alaskan wilderness, but it's really more of a thoughtful existential exploration of death and the meaning of life.

I ♥︎ Huccabees

The last of David O. Russell's really quirky offbeat stories before he started going more mainstream (with much greater success). It doesn't all work, and it's sort of a mess, but it's very entertaining too.

The Terminal

Definitely this is one of Spielberg's minor movies, but now, years from the insanely high expectations and Oscar predictions that accompanied its release, it's a charming funny little human drama. Better than you might've thought from all the harsh reviews.

K-19: The Widowmaker

Harrison Ford! Liam Neeson! Kathryn Bigelow! Yeah, she wasn't a name back then, and most reviewers spent their time mocking Ford's attempts at a Russian accent... but put that aside and you have a pretty taut, interesting, and tense true story about a submarine disaster and how it brought the US and the Soviets to the brink of war.

Thirteen Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M19tgYuwVWc

Like K-19, critics gleefully trashed Costner's Boston accent and many of them didn't really spend much time on the movie itself, which is a tense docudrama with some excellent performances by Costner, Greenwood and the rest of the cast.

Reign of Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7bjwEXp7Y

Trashed on release because a lot of people were expecting lots of dragons and an epic scale. Stripped of expectations, you get a growly slumming Christian Bale (good as always) and a scenery-chewing hammy, brilliant Matthew McConaughey taking one some of the best-designed dragons ever.

Mothman Prophesies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faF4PF3x5lU

Based on a true story, this is a surprisingly scary and unsettling movie, directed brilliantly by Mark Pellington. Richard Gere isn't the usual sort of lead for a genre movie, and I think it never quite found an audience. Check it out!

...and my #1, the epic, the awesome....

Southland Tales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtp14ikRvxo

Infamous as one of the biggest bombs ever (it cost over 35m and made something like 500k theatrically), this was Richard Kelly's follow-up to DONNIE DARKO, and it was absolutely hammered on release. Hated. Reviled. Dismissed. And yet.... it's fucking awesome! Yes, it's wildly convoluted, contains too many subplots, leaves all sort of red herrings and never pays them off... but if it's a failure, it's not because of a lack of imagination, but too much. And sometimes that's valuable, especially in this age of reboots, knockoffs and mostly-unoriginal storytelling. There are so many moments throughout this movie that are hilarious, disturbing, thought-provoking, inspired, or just plain off-beat fun. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out... there's nothing quite like it.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

If you're looking for that third YES, you've got it. Speed Racer is awesome.

Haven't seen the other two though, so I can't give you anything for them yet.

• Like 1