Electric

Electric's Review Thread(Exclamation Points)

Alien-Nation: B (85)Overall, I enjoyed this film. At first, it was a bit hard to take Zac Efron seriously as the loner/stereotype kid, usually I'd imagine him as the star basketball captain or the object of the lady's desires, but he's not as bad an actor as teenage males want him to be, so I was able to buy him in this role rather quickly. The relationship between Mark and Lisa was deeper than most sci-fi "romances" but at the same time, I felt it could have been developed even further and added more to the plot.I would also have liked to see the "suits" have more of a personality. They just seemed to be the stereotypical government/corporate drones that get in the way of every scientist-protagonist in Sci-Fi movies. But overall, I enjoyed it, it did not rely on cliches as much as most films of its genre, which was refreshing.American Idols: C+ (78)This movie is definitely going to upset and disturb some people. Not for the violence, but for the plot itself, which may upset some more patriotic/conservative Americans. It didn't upset me, but at the same time I couldn't fully connect with it. It reminded me of a psychology video I had watched many years ago, where a high school teacher had his kids joining a club that had become more like a cult... though that was just an experiment, and this was the real thing. But at the same time, it lacked realism for me. Maybe it's my idealistic nature, and my hope that kids wouldn't fall for this, but it didn't fully work for me. It's definitely interesting, and it will have people talking a lot, but I can't fully recommend it. If you're really in to grim/gritty movies, you'll probably enjoy this one, and the ending does redeem it, but if you want something that shows the happier side of life, this probably is not your movie.

Wings of Icarus: A (94)An excellent film. I felt it could have been a little better if it went for a PG-13 rating and had fewer songs, but animated films, in the USA at least, have become regarded as something meant for children more than adults, and thus any animation film has to keep children in mind with its story, characters, and theme, but Wings of Icarus did an excellent job even with those constraints.I did not know all the names of the voice actors before watching the film, and it's better that way. When a movie relies on a "star"-studded lineup for voice acting, it often distracts from the plot, which is perhaps the goal for a movie that has a weak plot. Wings of Icarus had nothing to hide in that department though, and the voice actors all did an excellent job. While I was able to recognize Leonard Nimoy as Daedalus, it didn't change my view of the movie as it had in some of the more recent 3-D animated films.This movie is definitely worth seeing... whether you have kids or not.Rapture: 98 (A+)The only real issue I had with this film was a tiny thing that only nerdy sorts would have picked up on it... his SAT score was 1510, and he was going for Valedictorian. This sets the film in 2005 or earlier, I believe, as the new SAT is scored out of 2400 rather than 1600, and a 1510 would be an average score, acceptable for a nameless state university if one had good grades. But overall the movie was amazing, and probably the best of the year. I don't even like Slayer, but somehow, the music allowed me to connect with the characters. It wasn't something (and isn't something) I'd listen to on my own, but it made the characters emotions more accessible for me.Taylor Lautner surprised me with his acting.... perhaps from never having seen Twilight, I didn't have an opinion on him before this, but he did a good job in his role here. Overall, this is the best movie of the year. It's often depressing, but it's really well done, and that's what matters in the end.