JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

So on par with AUJ OD... I would say that's neither good nor bad when trying to extrapolate for the weekend ahead.... Guess we'll just have to wait til Monday for numbers...

We won't get any official numbers until the 2nd. :(Thanks RTH for keeping us up to date.

So based upon that I'm thinking the weekend will probably end up in this order:1. DOS2. Frozen3. Anchorman 2?4. Mitty5. The Railway Man?Positions 3and 5 are guesses but I'd say that's where we r heading.

The sequel, which dominated the box office with a 60% market share of the top 5 films, grossed an estimated $4.9M in U.S. dollars from 629 screens. It holds the distinction as the second-biggest Boxing Day opening of all time, finishing 7% behind The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-australia-box-office-opening/

Ok we've got a top 10 films now.......

I've posted a small review on my blog but here is the top 10 below with my estimates on the updated running totals (all estimated until the 2nd january of course)

http://boxofficedownunder.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/boxing-day-2013.html

Here is the top 10 for boxing day 2013:

(running total in brackets - ALL ESTIMATES)
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 5.47m (5.5m)
2. Frozen - 1.62m (2.7m)
3. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 855k (0.9m)
4. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - 768k (8m)
5. American Hustle - 384k (5.5m)
6. Philonmena - 348k (0.6m)
7. The Railway Man - 257k (0.3m)
8. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 238k (35m)
9. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - 151k (7.8m)
10. Dhoom 3 - 116k (0.9m)

• Like 3

Quick Frozen Comparison 

I will do a full vs chart later on once we get some final numbers on the 2nd but .....

Wreck it Ralph vs Frozen

Opening Day (boxing day) : 1.42m vs 1.62m

but don't forget Frozen also has an additional 1m in previews to add to that total already putting it at least above 2.7m to date and that figure does not include christmas day takings which frozen was open for though i doubt that frozen took much during christmas day itself....

• Like 1

Quick Frozen Comparison I will do a full vs chart later on once we get some final numbers on the 2nd but .....Wreck it Ralph vs FrozenOpening Day (boxing day) : 1.42m vs 1.62mbut don't forget Frozen also has an additional 1m in previews to add to that total already putting it at least above 2.7m to date and that figure does not include christmas day takings which frozen was open for though i doubt that frozen took much during christmas day itself....

Wreck it Ralph also had previews I believe? Either way Frozen is smashing it!

Wreck it Ralph also had previews I believe? Either way Frozen is smashing it!

Agreed. Unfortunately the weekend of 20th to 23rd where wreck it Ralph May have had previews was never reported.

Ok did some digging and found a report. Wreck it Ralph did 1.15m on Boxing Day in 3rd behind the hobbit and les miserables. That means we now have an apples for apples comparison:PV - 1m (excludes cd for now) vs 0.27mBoxing Day - 1.62m vs 1.15mSo frozen is well ahead so far.

We can deduce WIR. Cume of $8.62m - Boxing Day $1.16 - 1st week $6.2 = previews plus CD of $1.26m

If u r using urban the dates shown should represent from the 27th. (Check the hobbit - the 5.9m is shown outside its first week ).

Yes, the dates have to be wrong since the Boxing Day total for AUJ is shown in the cume total.

Gotta love urban for their accuracy at times. But then again still one of the better sources for our top 20 each week.