JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

I was looking at population numbers and realized that the US+Canada is about 15 times the size of Australia in that regard, so plugging that multiplier into Frozen's 31m (US) would give it an equivalent of about $465m. And while that's not quite as crazy as Korea's number, it's pretty massive.

From the past several posts, I've gotten the sense that numbers bigger than that are, while not exactly common, not rare either. So do Australians go see a lot of movies, or are the ticket prices relatively high? (Or both, I suppose.)

I was looking at population numbers and realized that the US+Canada is about 15 times the size of Australia in that regard, so plugging that multiplier into Frozen's 31m (US) would give it an equivalent of about $465m. And while that's not quite as crazy as Korea's number, it's pretty massive. From the past several posts, I've gotten the sense that numbers bigger than that are, while not exactly common, not rare either. So do Australians go see a lot of movies, or are the ticket prices relatively high? (Or both, I suppose.)

Average attendance is normally a bit less than the USA (recent exceptions are 2001, 2009, 2010 and 2011). But tickets are significantly more expensive.

Average ticket price last year was about 13.43AUD. About 12.20USD.

yeah right... for a typical adult...hmmm 

Straight from the main theatre groups in australia:

Standard Ticket Prices (not the tuesday discounts)

Adult / Concession / Student / Senior

Event/BCC (Standard) - $17.50 / $12.50 / $14 / $12.50 (3D ~ +$3.50 premium) (VMax ~ +$3 premium)

Event/BCC (Gold Class) - $39.50 all tickets (+$3 for 3D)

Event/BCC (Tuesday) - $10.50 all tickets (3D ~ +$3, vmax ~ +$3) / $25 Gold Class (+$3 3D)

Hoyts (Standard) - $16 / $11.50 / $11.50 / $11.50 (3D ~ +$3 to all ticket prices)

Hoyts (Tuesday) - $10.50 for all tickets (3D - +$3)

I release there are cheaper cinemas, but that cost is a bit misleading when most of the cinema chains charge close to teh $16 or $17 for a standard movie ticket ?  often the cheaper cinemas aren't showing the very latest anyway.

I was looking at population numbers and realized that the US+Canada is about 15 times the size of Australia in that regard, so plugging that multiplier into Frozen's 31m (US) would give it an equivalent of about $465m. And while that's not quite as crazy as Korea's number, it's pretty massive.

From the past several posts, I've gotten the sense that numbers bigger than that are, while not exactly common, not rare either. So do Australians go see a lot of movies, or are the ticket prices relatively high? (Or both, I suppose.)

When taking into account population difference, ticket prices and # of screens available, a multiplier of around 10 is typical for most final in australia.

eg.

Titanic:

600m USD

57m AUD

in saying this, some type of films tend to do better in australia than others.

Typically Fantasy films do better in australia than the US.  by comparison, comic films tend to do worse:

Eg. of Fantasy:

LOTR: ROTK ~ 380m USD against 49m AUD

HP 8 ~ 380m USD against 52m AUD

Eg. of Comic book films:

Spider-man ~ 400m USD against 30m AUD

Avengers ~ 630m USD against 53m AUD

The Dark Knight ~ 533m against 45m (was one of the better performers here)

an unusual one:  lives in both the comic book realm and fantasy realm.  also helped by having an australian lead

Thor ~ 181m USD against 19m AUD

As for Australian releases well the relative performance is off the charts:

Crocodile Dundee ~ 174m USD vs 47.5m AUD 

Australia ~ 49m USD vs 38m AUD (that performance in the US was just terrible)

Lastly, just to point out how much Avatar outperformed everything here.....

Avatar ~ 760m USD vs 115 AUD (yes that would be the equivalent of making 1.1B for a single film.... )

• Like 2

yeah right... for a typical adult...hmmm Straight from the main theatre groups in australia: Standard Ticket Prices (not the tuesday discounts) Adult / Concession / Student / SeniorEvent/BCC (Standard) - $17.50 / $12.50 / $14 / $12.50 (3D ~ +$3.50 premium) (VMax ~ +$3 premium)Event/BCC (Gold Class) - $39.50 all tickets (+$3 for 3D)Event/BCC (Tuesday) - $10.50 all tickets (3D ~ +$3, vmax ~ +$3) / $25 Gold Class (+$3 3D)Hoyts (Standard) - $16 / $11.50 / $11.50 / $11.50 (3D ~ +$3 to all ticket prices)Hoyts (Tuesday) - $10.50 for all tickets (3D - +$3) I release there are cheaper cinemas, but that cost is a bit misleading when most of the cinema chains charge close to teh $16 or $17 for a standard movie ticket ?  often the cheaper cinemas aren't showing the very latest anyway.

That's the 1099.6m BO divided by 81.9m tickets (as per Rth). I often pay around $16.

If you're with Telstra you can get $10 tickets. http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/thanks-movies-reward-offerI also have movie gift cards that I got for 25% off. So I'm basically paying $7.50 a ticket at the moment. Although thinking about it I've only seen Non Stop in the last 2 months.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

If you're with Telstra you can get $10 tickets. http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/thanks-movies-reward-offerI also have movie gift cards that I got for 25% off. So I'm basically paying $7.50 a ticket at the moment. Although thinking about it I've only seen Non Stop in the last 2 months.

i really should remember that when i goto the movies. i always forget.

yeah right... for a typical adult...hmmm 

Straight from the main theatre groups in australia:

Standard Ticket Prices (not the tuesday discounts)

Adult / Concession / Student / Senior

Event/BCC (Standard) - $17.50 / $12.50 / $14 / $12.50 (3D ~ +$3.50 premium) (VMax ~ +$3 premium)

Event/BCC (Gold Class) - $39.50 all tickets (+$3 for 3D)

Event/BCC (Tuesday) - $10.50 all tickets (3D ~ +$3, vmax ~ +$3) / $25 Gold Class (+$3 3D)

Hoyts (Standard) - $16 / $11.50 / $11.50 / $11.50 (3D ~ +$3 to all ticket prices)

Hoyts (Tuesday) - $10.50 for all tickets (3D - +$3)

I release there are cheaper cinemas, but that cost is a bit misleading when most of the cinema chains charge close to teh $16 or $17 for a standard movie ticket ?  often the cheaper cinemas aren't showing the very latest anyway.

To make what you saying worse your using QLD prices, which are $1.5-3.5 lower largly due to operaters like Cineplex(which Event hate), so for example a standard Event cinema ticket in like sydney is around 19.50, Hoyts same

Like a few others have pointed out there are a lot of discount tickets available like Telstra/Optus deals and Entertainment book is another (10-11.50 Event tickets), along with theatres have cheaper ticket prices then majors.

Then you have things like Palace movie club that has tens of thousands of members who when they go to are paying $3-5 less than normal prices for all sessions , including festivals etc

on average QLD has the lowest average VIC highest

By state

1-VIC avg price around $14

2-Tas

3-NSW

4-SA

5-WA

6-QLD $11.50, QLD has been the lowest for more than 7 years, VIC been highest for more than 7 as well

For BO 1-NSW,2-VIC,3-QLD

In QLD Brisbane & Gold Coast have the lowest ticket averages, ie Mackay/Cairns/Rocky around $13, Brisbane/GC 11, Sunshine Coast $12

Other country towns small & large can average anything from $6-12

Sydney avg just over $14(fyi Darwin avg $14), central Coast $13, Newcastle/Wollongong $10 (Ncastle has a 6 & 8 plex in one of the suburbs about block from each other),Canberra 12

WA- Perth about $13, country WA $11

Edited by Rth
  • Like 1