JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

After last weekend which was hell for work due solely to ted, I knew it was going to be massive! I think for all the negative hype for TASM its doing pretty well (considering).

Negative hype?My girlfriend and I loved it!

Holy Smoking Ted.....1.9m thursday... and from the friday domestic numbers thread (US) - Ted has already cleared 4m USD for thursday & Friday!(probably means Ted had a just over 2m friday.)Should be on target for a OW > 8m at this stage. Yes it's school holidays but given this is a MA15+ rated film here, it's more adult driven than other films and most adults aren't on holidays so i think saturday / sunday should be stronger. I think 8.5m to 9m is a realistic result for this. I'll work some comparisons up later, but i think i'll struggle find something similar. (about the closest I think I can come up with is the hangover films or bridesmaids for similar films - of note bridesmaids opened in a similar fashion to ted with strong previews before taking over the top spot but it did it on a smaller scale (2.1m previews and 4m OW)... that film went on to pass 24m something Ted should easily do given it's now heading for a total around 13m after this weekend is all said and done. It will be interesting how well it holds in the coming weeks as the holidays periods slow down though i think the impact on this film for this will be minimal as i expect to more of a weekend film anyway. (it just strikes me that way is all)- jajang

Wow, it's doing amazingly in Australia. Why is it doing so well?

Yeah I am little surprised too...given this:The Hangover - 3.4m/21.4mThe Hangover 2 - 11.3m/32.7mBridesmaids - 4.1m/27.2mand nowTed - 8.5m+ (Projected)* / 30m+ ?* 3.9m / 8.2m running total up to and including friday (includes 4.3m previews)given it's an original film it's very impressive!we need a what went right in australia thread for this film.. talk about massive break out.I would have this pegged at most 4m OW and would not have been surprised with less than 2m........ but 8m+ ... well ummm i'm speechless...... Edited by Jajang

yeah, I'm pretty sure if anyone had come to me as late as 2 weeks ago and said that TASM would open 2nd to Ted on Opening weekend (especially given Ted had previews too), I would have laughed them out of the park... I thought a 3 to 4m OW for Ted was the best it could hope for (and probabaly around 1m to 2m in previews) -- and frankly i would had that as a breakout hit :P..... but for it to make that much in previews alone just blew me away... And Ted has a good shot at being the biggest ever MA15+ rated film in australia - That is currently held by The Hangover Part II with 32.7m :P

oh and from the same report....Ted #1TASM #2Katy Perry: Part of me #3 (though a holdover could be ahead of this yet)

Where did you read that, who ever wrote thats is smoking something :blink: KP not even top 5 and TASM only just edged out IA4 friday
  • Like 1

Where did you read that, who ever wrote thats is smoking something :blink: KP not even top 5 and TASM only just edged out IA4 friday

I think i misread.. all it said was Ted was ahead of the other 2 openers TASM and Katy Perry.... it mentioned TASM was 2nd or thought to be but i assumed third... hence my hint that something else (well multiple holdovers were above it - as i would have expected :) )wow TASM is not going well at all then here... will it even make it to 5m for the weekend ? looks like Ted is sucking up all of TASM's audience......so i'm thinking:#1 Ted (~ 9m ?)#2 TASM (I'm not splitting these 2 as it appears it could be a dead heat then) ~ 5m ?#2 IA4 (I'm starting to wonder whether it's nearly flat from last weekend which is a good result for this) ~ 5m ?#4 Snow White ??#5 Brave (not sure how much of a bump this got yet it may leap into 4th possibly too) ??....Katy perry somewhere below ;) Edited by Jajang