JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

F&F5 was the first big weekend I had at my job at the Cinemas. That Wednesday night was crazy!

Its first Tuesday holds the single day admits record at my old work (well thats from May 2008 onwards - dont have any data prior to that)

you know it will not be good if we are waiting until fast 6 for the next 5m+ opener....

this coming weekend is a tough call....  I'm really not sure how The Hangover 3 will travel here... 

The Hangover opened strongly 3.4m but it's impressive staying power took the film to over 21m..

The 2nd film amazed with an opening of 11.3m but fell away amassing just under 33m which isn't bad but no where near the strength of the first.  Also working against this film was the disappointing to bad WOM for this film.

If the 2nd film had been better we could have an even bigger opening.. however i see a drop off here as the 2nd film lived on the 1st films goodwill, which has now been negated.

I could see the Hangerover 3 opening anywhere between 4m and 8m right now.  However I'm sticking with a > 5m for now even if i can see this going lower....

Also opening this weekend is Dead Man Down which just looks dodgy to me.  around a 500k weekend.  Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds is only limited release and I do not expect it to figure in the top 20.  

Holdovers will be interesting but i expect Star Trek to hold well again as will Iron Man 3 due to the lack of competition.

Weekend Prediction (top 5)

1 / NEW (1) Hangover 3 - 5.3m / 5.3m

2 / 1 (3) Star Trek into Darkness - 2.2m / 13.5m

3 / 2 (5) Iron Man 3 - 1.3m / 37m

4 / NEW (1) Dead Man Down - 520k / 520k

5 / 4 (2) Snitch - 460k / 1.2m

Just a quick note, if go by calendar year ie. grosses in 2013.. the top 10 looks like as follows:

1. Iron Man 3 - 35.7m

2. Life of Pi - 27.9m

3. The Croods - 24.7m

4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Party (2012 Release) - 23.7m

5. Les Miserables (2012 Release) - 18.0m

6. Wreck it Ralph (2012 Release) - 16.6m

7. Django Unchained - 15.9m

8. OZ: the Great and Powerful - 15.5m

9. the Silver Linings Playbook - 13.8m

10. A good Day to die hard - 10.9m

(Star Trek Into Darkness is currently in 11th place on this chart @ 10.9m)

EDIT: 1000 posts finally!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 2

man of steel early prediction > $50m final gross

unlikely in australia... only marvel films and batman have broken 30m so far..... Superman has been a distant cousin for sometime now.

20m is it's realistic goal here.

Superman would need to outsell all previous entries in the superman series.  unlikely to happen given the previous films problems.  even if man of steel does what batman begins did for batman, no way it sees an increase on that level (returns made 14m here in australia which makes 20m more realistic)

THO3 was proj at 1.4-1.5m at least, it came in over 1.7, which is 80% of the 2nd and 2nd biggest OD this year behind IM3, it should  be in 8-9m range at least weekend, Stid wkend should be aroun 2m, then IM3 700k, Call & Snith should be 4&5 9PBTP could creep in there but it is ltd) DMD tanked

• Like 1

THO3 was proj at 1.4-1.5m at least, it came in over 1.7, which is 80% of the 2nd and 2nd biggest OD this year behind IM3, it should  be in 8-9m range at least weekend, Stid wkend should be aroun 2m, then IM3 700k, Call & Snith should be 4&5 9PBTP could creep in there but it is ltd) DMD tanked

$700k for IM3?!?!!That is disastrous and just killed $40m!

But that's not bad, that's REALLY bad.

Even worse then  :lol:

What's it total right now? What would be the reason for it to drop off that much? Loss of screens/theaters? Bad WOM kicked in  :ph34r: ?

Even worse then  :lol: What's it total right now? What would be the reason for it to drop off that much? Loss of screens/theaters? Bad WOM kicked in  :ph34r: ?

Bad WOM would've kicked in long before WK5.After this weekend total will be around AUD36.5m.