JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

I'd say that's achievable. I guess around $2m-$3m this weekend for it :)

It'd need great legs if it opened in that range. On second thought, I can't picture it opening any higher so maybe $10m isn't quite as achievable as first thought.

I don't see tlr opening above 3m and probably closer to 2m. To much competition, lackluster marketing and bad early reviews will leave this to a failure here

Need to revise that. TLR is performing about 20% behind MoS today and about double WWZ here. So I'd say it's going for more on the high end of $2m-$3m. Might even get over $3m if my site is a good representation.

Yep TLR is over 2 thru sat

Weekend looking at

DM2  4.55-4.65,MOS 4.1,MU/TLR 3.3-.3.4, WWZ 2

Thing to remember when school holidays are in full swing (or close enough) animated films tend to drop on Sat over Fri and thu/fri will be similar number, other will increase (eg Chg Fri/Sat  DM2 +3%/-5%, MOS +23%/+29%, MU +4%,-9%)

ranking

TH: DM2,MU,MOS,TLR,WWZ

FR: DM2,MOS,MU,TLR,WWZ

SA:MOS,DM2,TLR,MU,WWZ

Yep TLR is over 2 thru sat Weekend looking atDM2  4.55-4.65,MOS 4.1,MU/TLR 3.3-.3.4, WWZ 2 Thing to remember when school holidays are in full swing (or close enough) animated films tend to drop on Sat over Fri and thu/fri will be similar number, other will increase (eg Chg Fri/Sat  DM2 +3%/-5%, MOS +23%/+29%, MU +4%,-9%) rankingTH: DM2,MU,MOS,TLR,WWZFR: DM2,MOS,MU,TLR,WWZSA:MOS,DM2,TLR,MU,WWZ

Increase for DM2?!? :D :D :D

nice... guess my projections messed up on MOS a little ... but still a hefty drop there... 

MOS is on target for > 20m  and should still be able to reach 25m.... 30m looks to be a long shot though. A very long shot!  

(EDIT: forgot to add in 3.3m weekdays with my original post ;) )

WWZ prospects are improving for a 20m + finish (it's within the scope that WWZ could reach 20m here)  Right now however i have this winding up @ 19m and WWZ is comparing very well against Snow White now though it continues to trail that film by 900k at the same point in their runs.  At the moment given the trajectories, i think WWZ will end up between prometheus and Snow White.  However i'm not giving up on 20m yet...

Monsters Uni continues to track well towards a 25m finish.  Monsters is leading Madagascar 3 at the same point in their runs but is well behind Ice Age 4 for example.  However Ice Age 4 opened on the first weekend of the holidays meaning it started to wind up 1 week earlier in it's run meaning from next week MU will catch it up a bit.

Despicable Me 2 to me is now targeting a 30m+ finish here.  After 3 weekends of play it's at just over 22m (or should be should the estimates hold - thanks RTH :P )  For comparison, Ice Age 4 was at 23m but as mentioned above it made 4m over the same weekend as DM2 made 4.6m  and the following weekend it made 1.2m.... a big crash thanks to the holidays ending.  DM2 has 1 more weekend of play before this happens and should be able to manage 3m to 4m i think over that weekend putting DM2 on target for around 32m finish.

if we line up weekends to match when the holidays end, Ice Age 4 made 4.9m on it's 2nd weekend (flat from the first) for a running total of 15.7m.  DM2 should be 4.6m for a running total of 22.2m.  Ice Age went onto 27.6m.  I'm thinking there is still at least another 10m to come for DM2.  A Great result all round.

Summary of Projections:

Man of Steel ~ 21m

World War Z ~ 19m

Despicable Me 2 ~ 32m

Monsters University ~ 25m

The Lone Ranger ~ 11m ?

Other films (from last weeks total)

Fast and Furious 6 ~ 28m

The Great Gatsby ~ 31m

Epic ~ 10m

The Hangover Part III ~ 21.5m

Star Trek into Darkness ~ 16.3m

The Internship ~ 9m

After Earth ~ 4.8m

Upcoming Releases (Major Releases)

11th July - The Heat ~ 8 to 12m ?

11th July - Pacific Rim ~ I have no idea... could be 5m; could be 20m ;)

18th July - This is the End ~ 10m ?

25th July - the Wolverine ~ This one is hard.... It's getting a massive push and the trailer does look pretty good too..

X-Men Origins : Wolverine managed 18.6m back in 2009 in the face of some luke warm word of mouth and of course no 3D.  The Trailers do make this film look a lot stronger than that film and frankly i'm seeing little reference to that film other than the title character here.. in fact i'm seeing more reference to the later X-Men films here (i'm sure there is one scene here from those films showing jean gray indicating this film happens after those films)  the thing is here, the biggest x-men film in australia is in fact Wolverine's first film.  i'm going with 20m for this as i think this is better than that film... but given the push here i could see it going bigger.

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 2

Jajang, MOS total right now is about 12.8m, right? (9.5m OW and 3.3m weekdays) With an estimated 4.1m weekend, that'll put it at 16.9m. So it'll only gross 4.1m after that for ~21m finish? Isn't that too harsh or did I misunderstand something? I'm sorry if I did  -_-

BTW, do you know the finish total for IM3 in US dollars? Thank you in advance.

Edit: Never mind about my IM3 question, saw your awesome top 20 movies table on the last page  :D So it's $39.2M total, shame that it's so close but cannot push for the $40M mark, still, it's a great result for IM3 in Aus  :)

Edited by Sam

3D on both films, but 3D on animated was much much higher back in DM1 days

Yeh that's what I meant - it wasn't a case of DM1 not having, and DM2 having - it was a level playing field in that respect. Given the fact that 3D was bigger during DM1 days, DM2 grossing this much more is even more impressive.
  • Like 1