JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

^ lol :P - wonder who that is ;)While skyfalls weekend total will be interesting, the real question i wondering about is how big The Hobbit can be here.... Given LOTR films broke records when they opened here 3 years running with the 2nd film owned the OW record for quite some time (Harry Potter 6 finally broke it 4.5 years later) and of course the 3rd LOTR film owned the biggest OD for even longer until Harry Potter 7.2 shattered that long time record. so comparing to 2001.....Fellowship managed a 9.7m weekend after a 4.1m OD. To give you an idea of how massive this was:4.1m OD shattered the old record held by Star Wars 1 by nearly 1.5m.the 9.7m weekend of course just broke the 1 month old record made by Harry Potter 1 which in turn had only just scrapped by the record set by the Phantom Menace some 18 months earlier. Adjusted for inflation (ignoring the 3D factor), thats equivalent of :OD = 6.1mOW = 14.4mThese figures do not take into the impact of 3D or the number of screens that the film opened on. For example, Fellowship managed it's opening on 406 screens which was a record at the time. the current record holder is of course Harry Potter 7.2 with 754 screens. I doubt the hobbit can take that many screens given the number of films opening, however there is no reason to believe that the hobbit 1 will be on > 600 screen at a minimum. probably around the 650 mark is my thoughts.it's gonna be tough to call here, as the love the halflings leaf is great here in australia as proof of how strong the 3 lotr films were here... (frankly fantasy fare seem to be much stronger down under) This needs to be tempered with the luke warm reception to date and not as impressive as hoped openings around the world (still massive by any account but not as big as hoped given the pedigree)so factor in as follows:Fellowship adjusted is 6.1m OD3D Factor +Screen Count increased +Luke warm reception -LOTR goodwill ++Long running time given the warm reception --I think an OD between 5.5m and 6.5m is still on the cards. no record here but it will be big... Final Prediction:OD = 5.7mOW = 15.3m for a running total of 20.8m after sunday. 2nd weekend = 7.1m + 4m in weekdays for a running total of 31.9m after 2 weekends.After that things should start to die down a bit, but i think 45m+ is still on the cards for the hobbit barring a complete collapse However this could still explode like many of thought. we shall see what happens....- jajang

VERY quiet. Biggest films at my site are Les Mis previews (6k average here), and a bollywood film (Duggern 2 or something, and I think around a 5k average)...... :P

Is 6K for Les Mis good?

Did you have 2 VMAX and 4 Gold Class per day?

As I was kind of expecting given how lousy our reporting of Box Office is, we're most likely not going to get numbers until next week, if not the week after.The public holiday is TOMORROW! Get off your lazy asses and get to work!I hate how our box office works - public holidays = BIGGER NUMBERS = LESS REPORTING!!North American Holiday = BIGGER NUMBERS = MORE REPORTING!!

It seems the whole West is on holiday right now ...

Yup. It really is glorious, I can finally find time to have a get together with everyone. Life's so hectic these days that you rarely get these chances anymore. I'm assuming people don't celebrate Christmas in Asia, or am I wrong about that?

We haven't got the Christmas week box office for several years now. Just have a look back on Urban Cinefile http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/boxoffice.aspMy work shut down last Thursday and doesn't open again until the 2nd of January.Also, Merry Christmas to everyone at Lakemba Mosque. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/outrage-over-fatwa-forces-mosque-to-pull-down-website-post-20121223-2btkx.html

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

We haven't got the Christmas week box office for several years now. Just have a look back on Urban Cinefile http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/boxoffice.aspMy work shut down last Thursday and doesn't open again until the 2nd of January.Also, Merry Christmas to everyone at Lakemba Mosque. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/outrage-over-fatwa-forces-mosque-to-pull-down-website-post-20121223-2btkx.html

That's bullshit!Regardless of what faith you are, if you can let others enjoy their celebrations, f**k off.

Without any data to compare to, presales for The Hobbit are looking quite good at my local.Firstly, it's not a site that does well with presales, secondly not the typical movie that does well there either.Now this site hasn't been a strong indicator for overall performance for a film, but strong numbers are ALWAYS good to see, regardless of where they are.Hopeing for AT LEAST a $5m OD for me to not count it as a complete disappointment.$6.0 - 6.5m = acceptable, with anything over being great.

Just checked my local, and a few other Hoyts sites..The next session of The Hobbit is almost sold out in 2D and 3D - sellouts are rare there.Hoyts Broadway - of the remaining 7 3D session, 5 are sold out with one soon to sell out. Of the remaining 6 2D session, 5 are sold out with the final about 2/3 full.This is a good sign.One thing I will keep in mind to avoid getting over excited is that Potters $7m OD was achieved with 2-3 times as many session times.Still sticking with 5m or so for OD

if it does 5m you'd be happy thing to remember is market capacity, and no doubt be biggest Boxing day depends how big.In prior years the biggest for opening films (exclu hold overs) 2002 when TT opened 6.4m(TT was 81% of opening)but the only other openers were Tuxedo & Treasure planet, when FOTR opened it was Minc , ROTK Love Actually & Brother Bear.most years the BO ranges from 4-6m for openings split between 3-4 films, this year little different having TH1, LM,WIR,PG all big films going for a slice of the pie, if TH1 was as high as 5 have to be looking at 7-8+ for opening films, totally unheard off, but then so was the OD for FOTR when it opened 2002The biggest year for an opening film outside of LOTR was 2005 CON did 3.5m, 5.1m total for opening films (CON,FWDJ,LOZ,JLH), next 06 with HF