JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

I'll do my full analysis later tonight but a quick note:

Iron Man 3 made 1.2m in the end thankfully - a much better result than we thought going into the weekend....

I was looking for a stronger hold from STID but all is not lost and yeah i think it's now heading for a total 16m to 17m atm...

I do think STID was affected a bit more than i thought by THO3 which opened a lot bigger than i expected... i guess i have no love for this franchise ;)

The croods is now locked to pass 25m barring some insane drop in the coming week or so.  I had this pegged for at very most 21m or 22m... making it all this way is an extremely good result

lastly, all the way down in 18th spot was War of the Worlds - Alive on Stage.... 44k for this to me is amazing when you consider the following:

yes it was only a limited release of 21 prints but take this into account - each of those prints played at most 3 times and mostly only once over the weekend (in QLD there were about 10 Event / BCC cinemas showing this but only once on the friday night.... + only 1 hoyts location + 1 other location i was aware of which both played the film 2 to 3 times ov er the weekend in total.......) taken in this context and extremely limited playtime makes this figure very surprising and shows how truely popular Jeff Wayne's WOTW is (I was trying to see it myself but due to the very limited locations and times it was playing i was unable to see it :(  i guess blueray will be how i see this......... so in summary WOTW possibly only had 25 to 35 physical showings over the weekend australia wide, so the print count actually hides how strong this result really was....

EDIT - i didn't expect WOTW AOS to actually make the top 20.... a slight underestimation on my part.  (I would say that it must have played to nearly full houses australia wide given the lack of shows over weekend.)

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 1

I'll do my full analysis later tonight but a quick note:Iron Man 3 made 1.2m in the end thankfully - a much better result than we thought going into the weekend....I was looking for a stronger hold from STID but all is not lost and yeah i think it's now heading for a total 16m to 17m atm...I do think STID was affected a bit more than i thought by THO3 which opened a lot bigger than i expected... i guess i have no love for this franchise ;)The croods is now locked to pass 25m barring some insane drop in the coming week or so. I had this pegged for at very most 21m or 22m... making it all this way is an extremely good resultlastly, all the way down in 18th spot was War of the Worlds - Alive on Stage.... 44k for this to me is amazing when you consider the following:yes it was only a limited release of 21 prints but take this into account - each of those prints played at most 3 times and mostly only once over the weekend (in QLD there were about 10 Event / BCC cinemas showing this but only once on the friday night.... + only 1 hoyts location + 1 other location i was aware of which both played the film 2 to 3 times ov er the weekend in total.......) taken in this context and extremely limited playtime makes this figure very surprising and shows how truely popular Jeff Wayne's WOTW is (I was trying to see it myself but due to the very limited locations and times it was playing i was unable to see it :( i guess blueray will be how i see this......... so in summary WOTW possibly only had 25 to 35 physical showings over the weekend australia wide, so the print count actually hides how strong this result really was....EDIT - i didn't expect WOTW AOS to actually make the top 20.... a slight underestimation on my part. (I would say that it must have played to nearly full houses australia wide given the lack of shows over weekend.)

We had about 80 in my showing, pretty strong for it! Only shwing too which meant many couldn't come :(

We had about 80 in my showing, pretty strong for it! Only shwing too which meant many couldn't come :(

I'd reckon it per show average would have been impressive........  given the lack of shows over the weekend.  was it worth watching ?

I highly doubt it. These movies are loved by Australians, unfortunately. 

All I can say is if HO3 can open to nearly 9m then I hope FF6 is heading for 10m+ (hoping for around 14m 5 day ~ including queens birthday holiday)

In anutshell its a case of when is the best time to release, now that doesn't always come into play because some films they want to release day & date around the world or close to it, but what that date is in  reality might not be best for the market (aus or elsewhere), how many other films are there in the market what is typical maret capacity etc.

School holiday wise Australia has more split holidays and also states at different times than majority of countries, EU like US everyones off for all summer (or most of it) etc

some upcoming films that are either before or close to US

titles/days diff from Dom rls, AUS & UK

AE +13 , +7

Dme2 -13 , -5

MU -1, +21

WWZ -1, 0

MOS +13, 0

LR +1, +37

PR -1, 0

Wolv -1, 0

TWE -22, -35

KA2 +6, 0

Riddick +6,0

gravity -1, +14

AT -15, -56

Thor2 -8,-7

EG -1, -7

PA2013 -1,0

HG:CF -1,0

AOC -1, +35

Ancor2 -1, 0

TH2 +13, 0

Smurfs2/PJ/Planes/turbo delayed for Sept hols, Cloudy2 delayed closer to Xmas hols

Edited by Rth
  • Like 2